Need help - fail to print large part

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
XRay

Post by XRay » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm not sure when this started to happen because most time I only use half of the table (central area) and it prints well, with or without raft, but recently I needed to print an object near 100 x 100 mm and it failed 4 times already, no matter how I tried to adjust the printing options (with/without raft, different resolution, fill option, etc.). So I took a few pictures during the printing and this is what happened:

1, At the beginning, the raft and base seems printing fine:
IMG_0951 small.JPG
IMG_0951 small.JPG (47.25 KiB) Viewed 10353 times
2, But when it's printing the base near the furthest XY corner, I noticed it's getting loose between lines:
IMG_0952 small.JPG
IMG_0952 small.JPG (94.33 KiB) Viewed 10353 times
3, Then it's getting really bad when printing the first few layers on top of base, totally lost roundness on holes:
IMG_0953 small.JPG
IMG_0953 small.JPG (95.38 KiB) Viewed 10353 times
I let it printing a few more layers and this just keeps going like this (holes are not even close to be round) so I had to stop. I watched it closely by leveling my eye to the nozzle when it started to lose accuracy, and found that the nozzle is not low enough to the layer so it's "throwing" filament onto previous layer, versus when it's printing nicely, nozzle supposed to press again previous layer when adding filament. So here's my questions:

1, Since I just switched filament from original UP3D (ran out) to Octave from Amazon, is this could be the reason?
2, Machine seems running okay without any abnormal noise, what could cause this?
3, Is it could be something wrong with my XYZ step motor?

I'm really struggling to figure this out, so please help, thanks a lot.

chippwalters

Post by chippwalters » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Well I'm certainly no expert having just purchased one of these machines, I did read where the octave filament requires a lower printhead temperature.

Printing at the higher temperatures would probably make it more stringy and less controllable.

You can go to the octave website and they have a device there that you can install to adjust the temperature for octave filament.

There are also a number of folks here on this form who have built better temperature controllers. They will be the ones who would probably have the correct answer.

roller

Re: Need help - fail to print large part

Post by roller » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:41 am

That doesn't look like it's too hot .. if anything it looks too cool. First the obvious thing ... If you told your software you changed spools make sure you didn't tell it the new spool is PLA rather than ABS. PLA settings makes the print head much cooler (too cool for any ABS).

I think this problem is the slice not going well. I've had similar when the Up software hasn't understood my model properly. First run your STL file through netfabb to make sure it is properly sealed (http://cloud.netfabb.com) and then also try printing it in a different orientation if you can eg turn it over on its side or upside down.

XRay

Post by XRay » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks for both reply and I'll try it, getting a switch or fix the stl file is not a big deal at all, hopefully it's not the machine itself that needs to be fixed.

sinistergrief

Post by sinistergrief » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Same Problem here! With original filament. The Printer stopps and beeps but the Print isn't finish. Any more ideas?

Neal

Post by Neal » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:52 pm

It's hard to be sure from the photos but it looks like things are not hot enough. Are you printing with the fan door closed? If not I would definitely try it with the door closed. (Assuming your PLA/ABS setting is correct.)

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Try first to print with different layer (from 0.15 --->0.2mm ...0.25 mm ..), if it works better then check calibration and the bed leveling.
Had the same problem with one of my print, the bed leveling was not ok, thats why the print failed with 0.15 mm layer thickness.

Got a good advice from distributor, do a test print like a part in picture.
Attachments
leveling.jpg
Leveling
leveling.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 10277 times
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

XRay

Post by XRay » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Neal wrote:It's hard to be sure from the photos but it looks like things are not hot enough. Are you printing with the fan door closed? If not I would definitely try it with the door closed. (Assuming your PLA/ABS setting is correct.)
I've been busy and away from my printer for quite a while but now come back on this issue again. I think your comment makes sense because the 2nd layer of raft is not sticky to 1st layer. But I'm thinking it might be the one of the axis problem since when printing the movement doesn't sound as smooth as before. So I took a picture with machine open and noticed that the belt in Z is kind of lose tension (more curly than the belt in X). Anyone can suggest if this will cause printing losing Z accuracy? I don't find any replacement belt in pp3dp store, so if I want to put a new one on, where do I order them?
IMG_1437 small.jpg
IMG_1437 small.jpg (159.4 KiB) Viewed 9903 times

roller

Post by roller » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:58 am

If it is loose it wont be the belt but rather something slipped or broken causing it to loose tension. I don't think it's this though because the Z is the less reliant on belt tension as the weight always keeps the tension in the important part of the belt. One thing is there are usually little metal springs on the belt which add a little bit of post tension to the belt - I don't see these on your belt. That might be normal for your model.

I didn't see if you have run your STL through netfabb ... you can get exactly this type of issue from a malformed STL file (see it often on my complex architectural models).

XRay

Post by XRay » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:21 pm

roller wrote:If it is loose it wont be the belt but rather something slipped or broken causing it to loose tension. I don't think it's this though because the Z is the less reliant on belt tension as the weight always keeps the tension in the important part of the belt. One thing is there are usually little metal springs on the belt which add a little bit of post tension to the belt - I don't see these on your belt. That might be normal for your model.

I didn't see if you have run your STL through netfabb ... you can get exactly this type of issue from a malformed STL file (see it often on my complex architectural models).
Thanks for your reply and I think you're right, the belt won't do anything to the loose print. What I did over weekend is use another laptop, load up ver 1.17 (those prints are from ver 1.19) and it printed out okay. So it's something to do with software, at least related to how my STL got sliced in ver 1.19.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:58 am

Yup, that happens. There is a magic STL that trips up every slicer program. You seem to have found one! I'm glad a change of version got you around it.