Anyone used a Wanhao d5s

Anything related to 3D Printing...
cadcam

Anyone used a Wanhao d5s

Post by cadcam » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Although a great fan of the Up!* I now have a requirement to make larger models. Some I will build in pieces and glue to maximise the strength, but others would benefit from a much larger build volume. Has anyone used/got any views about the Wanhao D5S printer. It seems to have some of the qualities of an up!, strong chassis etc. However before I finally jump I wondered if anyone had had any good/bad expeiences with the unit?

(* Except now slightly tempered by the high replacement cost of the cpu, given that the ic seems to be only $11 in one off prices!)

Many Thanks for any feedback

caesar

Re: Anyone used a Wanhao d5s

Post by caesar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:14 am

Wanhao is basically a rebranded copy of a Replicator 2, and not usually great. Just have a look at youtube videos.
Don't consider it if you need quality prints.

I did not use that model personally. I just bought 2 printers from the east (Mankati and Flashforge) and did not have good results with any of them quality wise.

cadcam

Re: Anyone used a Wanhao d5s

Post by cadcam » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:53 pm

I agree re the replicator 2 /duplicator 4s etc. However the d5s is a much larger format, build area 305mm x 205mm x 575mm, and seems from the descriptions/images/reviews to much more solid. The D5S mini, effectively the same machine but less Z, seems to be getting good reviews. If anyone has any experience of the D5S or mini version I would be interested to hear.