Anyone tried the filastruder homemade filament?

Anything related to 3D Printing...
NoahHornberger

Anyone tried the filastruder homemade filament?

Post by NoahHornberger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:46 pm

I was looking into getting a filastruder and was just looking to see if anyone had experience with it. Looks pretty nice, but some actual accounts of the filament working with UP nozzles would be great.

pleppik

Re: Anyone tried the filastruder homemade filament?

Post by pleppik » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:04 am

I've not tried it, but in general I'm very skeptical of any of the make-your-own filament projects. It's hard enough getting good filament consistency in an industrial setting, so I don't see how they've managed to solve the problem in a way that works at home.

roller

Re: Anyone tried the filastruder homemade filament?

Post by roller » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:10 am

There is no question its painfully difficult to get a consistent filament out of these home filastruders but I have heard of some good results. Although this feat is still difficult for industrial suppliers it's also an unfair comparison ... it's difficult to do it cost effectively at an industrial scale. If you have plenty of time to potter around getting your extrude speed right I think you can get a decent filament.

All that said, the default design of the Up extruder is extremely picky. It would be worth modding your extruder to to have sprung or adjustable tension on the feeder guide pushing the filament against the feeder gear.