Look what I found

Anything related to 3D Printing...
ktronik

Re: Look what I found

Post by ktronik » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:20 pm

JuliaDee wrote: I've currently got $4,200 worth of printers on order from other manufacturers - pp3dp could have had most or all of that money if they had suitable products.
Its good to see improvements...but with all evolving electronics, and all tech, it gets to a point, where WE the consumers, can not fix it...at the moment with the current UP, something breaks, we can fix...I like that...

I saw it change in the 80's...where I can fix everything...90's most things, 2000's not a chance its all tiny SMT, pre-programed flash rams / roms ect...toss it in the bin stuff

Me, I am a control freak, if I can't fix it I don't want it!!...yes, bring on advancements, but not past what we can repair...cars have gone that way, most things have gone that way...

BTW JuliaDee, can't let this one pass buy, and not benefit from your wisdom...;) May I have a quick list of your current printers on order.... thanks you!!

Ktronik

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:29 am

Well, I'm not talking about a whole new technology from pp3dp, just a bigger version of the Up with more user control of printing parameters in software. And... the Up motherboard doesn't use SMD's?

Anyway, on order I currently have:

Zortrax: designed in Poland, made in China, uses proprietary software. Early videos show very easy support removal like the Up. 8 x 8 x 7.5" build volume. Kickstarter finished in June. Supposed to ship by the end of October but communication has not been great, it will probably be late. http://zortrax.com/store/index.php?rout ... duct_id=50

gMax: 16 x 16 x 9" build volume, woohoo! I saw this at MakerFaire and really liked both the design and the designer. Very solid and elegant. No heated bed, open-source software. Kickstarter just finished, early rewards are supposed to ship by the end of the year. $1,400 kit with all parts including LCD.http://www.gmaxprinter.com/

Zim: Modest build volume of 6x6x6". Extremely elegant design by a very experienced, professional team of 12 full-time European developers, currently based in California. Made in China. Dual extruders, ethernet, wifi, built-in cam, and mobile control/monitoring app. Open-source-based software. Optional heated bed $89. Kickstarter ends in 6 days, last chance to get one for $900! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/141 ... nter-fully

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:54 pm

JuliaDee wrote:Well, I'm not talking about a whole new technology from pp3dp, just a bigger version of the Up with more user control of printing parameters in software. And... the Up motherboard doesn't use SMD's?

Anyway, on order I currently have:

Zortrax: designed in Poland, made in China, uses proprietary software. Early videos show very easy support removal like the Up. 8 x 8 x 7.5" build volume. Kickstarter finished in June. Supposed to ship by the end of October but communication has not been great, it will probably be late. http://zortrax.com/store/index.php?rout ... duct_id=50

gMax: 16 x 16 x 9" build volume, woohoo! I saw this at MakerFaire and really liked both the design and the designer. Very solid and elegant. No heated bed, open-source software. Kickstarter just finished, early rewards are supposed to ship by the end of the year. $1,400 kit with all parts including LCD.http://www.gmaxprinter.com/

Zim: Modest build volume of 6x6x6". Extremely elegant design by a very experienced, professional team of 12 full-time European developers, currently based in California. Made in China. Dual extruders, ethernet, wifi, built-in cam, and mobile control/monitoring app. Open-source-based software. Optional heated bed $89. Kickstarter ends in 6 days, last chance to get one for $900! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/141 ... nter-fully

OMG the gMax looks the ticket for bulk builds!! great thanks for that!! You will have it all worked out by the time I am ready for my next printer... making do with 140x140 at the moment...;)

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the gMax.

Update: Zortrax shipments start Monday!
zortraxes.jpg
zortraxes.jpg (225.3 KiB) Viewed 11037 times

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 pm

JuliaDee wrote:Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the gMax.

zortraxes.jpg
Now that really looks awesome! Can't wait for mine!
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:58 am

wilsonj wrote:
JuliaDee wrote:Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the gMax.

zortraxes.jpg
Now that really looks awesome! Can't wait for mine!
What's this!?!?!? Oh no I am falling behind...')

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:59 am

Brandom

Post by Brandom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:46 am

Wow, it's seems pretty good and a really reliable company!

roller

Post by roller » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:58 am

Just waiting to see if they pull off having break away support like they promised.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:59 am

Julia, any word on when yours will arrive ?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:25 pm

wilsonj wrote:Julia, any word on when yours will arrive ?
No. They've got about 140 or so Kickstarter orders to fill and I think I'm #52 or so on the webstore. They posted an update a week ago - changed the CPU and had some delays due to Chinese holidays. I figure around the end of the year.