up 3d printing for primary schools

Anything related to 3D Printing...
mec949

up 3d printing for primary schools

Post by mec949 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:19 am

do any of the good people on this forum use up printers in primary schools? this is something that I have wanted to do for a while but the expense is one of the limiting factors.

I am still trying to justify the cost of buying my own machine (I'll buy you soon, I swear)

also, what in particular would you do with the printer in the school as most of it will be 3d skills ala sketch up or similar.

FallGuy

Re: up 3d printing for primary schools

Post by FallGuy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Mec949,

In the early days of the forum there was much discussion of using Up! printers in education to spur learning, but the main concern was having children around the printer. i think the few who did use it as an educational tool were dealing with middle school students or older as a means to teach math, programming, design, etc., but I am sure there were some art teachers with their projects as well.

Funny you brought this up when you did, just found this link today:

http://fabbaloo.com/blog/2013/10/1/3d-p ... lable.html

It at least shows some people are looking to develop some form of curriculum to spur creativity.
Thanks,

FallGuy

roller

Post by roller » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:07 am

The Up Plus is not primary school friendly due to the 100C build plate. The Mini would be better but it's a little bit compromised in other ways (build plate is a little too cool but then again is little hand friendly at only 50C) ... but having a door that a teacher could lock while printing (own addition of a latch required) makes it a much safer proposition.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:30 am

Hi
DON'T LET KIDS NEAR 3D PRINTERS.
my primary school age grandchildren (and with my first great grand child due in February, and before too many years also at primary school) can already use the cable TV remote and other devices around the house better than me. I'm not sure I want to see 8 year olds learning and mastering 3D modelling and printing. Before long they would be better at it than me, and then I would feel even more of an ancient idiot than I already do.
Being out shone by smart cocky 8 year olds is not good for me ego.
As always, just my own opinion.
Regards
Lawrence

mec949

Post by mec949 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:30 am

I remember from last year when I was a casual primary teacher (still am, very happy) and I taught often computers to kids, I had kids as young as year 2 on sketch up, and with some practice they would not be too bad. I think having a $3d printer club in a school would be very good for the kids. get them designing things, as I have found that few children have an imagination these days with all the phones and f* iPads that do everything for them. remember those things you wore on your. wrists if you wanted to know what the time was? now they look on their phones.... :mrgreen:

Brandom

Post by Brandom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:50 am

I think will be a great idea as well, kids need to improve their imagination and work for themselves, nowadays we give them everything done...

GeoM528

Post by GeoM528 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:39 pm

In my two cents, 3D printing has a vital space in the classroom. Prototyping and additive manufacturing will also be an important link in future careers of the students http://www.3d2print.net/shop/blog/2014/ ... urriculum/