Platform suddenly drops

Coffee place for all the Uppers. Discuss about UP techniques, sharing ideas and tips. Coffee is on the house. :)
fmaurer

Platform suddenly drops

Post by fmaurer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:35 am

Sometimes ( 3 times in the past ~6 prints) the platform falls to the very bottom (the sound it made when it hit the bottom was a relatively loud bang) and the printer completely stops. It has just happened and I've taken a screen capture 1 min after the incident:
Screenshot_1Min_after.jpg
Screenshot_1Min_after.jpg (249.29 KiB) Viewed 10608 times
Yesterday, I experienced different symptoms: the platform dropped 1cm but the head continued to move around in seemingly random motions. The print was about 20% complete. No error messages or anything; the time remaining continued to decrement.

I've searched the forum and found a few mentions of the "limit switch" cable breaking or cable headers "shorting". However, I can't find any instructions on how to access these cables. The quick start manual doesn't show any service instructions; does someone have a picture log or instructions of the process?

Also I updated the software to 1.17 but every time I try to update ROM to V6.041 (It states I have ROM 6.04 and Firmware 3.00) When prompted, I'm unable to shutdown the printer to finish install.

Thanks for any advice you can share :)

wackojacko

Re: Platform suddenly drops

Post by wackojacko » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:44 am

This could also be caused by the platform heater cable shorting out.
Also ensure you unplug the USB cable during printing, to rule out its not coming from the USB side
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

swort

Post by swort » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Maybe an old topic but i had some problems too with the platform dropping.

I found later that the metalic belt tentioner on the z-axis (up/down) was too low on the belt. I moved it up so the platform could move all the way up and down.
This happened during shipping i think.

Also my bearing holder was loose, clicked it on (had to get the whole UP! Mini open -2hour work-) and calibrated.
Then i was finally done. Total time waste due to bad shipping +- 6hour...

roller

Post by roller » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:36 am

You'll see I brought this up in early Mini issues as well as a lack of it being properly lubricated when it was made.