3d printer + pet safety? (birds)

Talk about anything.
Burke

3d printer + pet safety? (birds)

Post by Burke » Thu May 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Hello all.

I'm looking into buying an afinia printer and getting into the game of 3d printing. Forgive me if this question should be posted in a different section. Anyway, I enjoy hobby modeling and building props and so forth, and a 3d printer will be a blessing to my hobbies. However I have two little green cheek conures in my house. These two birds have very sensitive respiratory systems and I am afraid of harming them by printing inside. Does anybody on the board have birds? Do you print inside with them?

If not would it mess up my print s if I where to have my afinia in the garage with fluctuating Florida temperatures and humidity?

Any and all useful information would be helpful. Thanx in advance :D

Lawrence

Re: 3d printer + pet safety? (birds)

Post by Lawrence » Thu May 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi
It could be very handy to have birds near the 3D printer while working.
People have previously asked if the fumes are toxic. They used canaries in mines to test for dangerous gases.; a bird near the printer could be used for a similar reason.
Some might say that I have already sniffed to many ABS fumes.
Regard
Lawrence

Burke

Post by Burke » Fri May 17, 2013 12:44 am

Lol I'm trying to assure their survival not demise ;)

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri May 17, 2013 12:06 pm

I can't really comment on the bird safety thing, although I think you're right to be concerned. As to printing in FL ambient, a small fan to blow into the electronics compartment (without blowing on the build area) on particularly hot days might be a good idea. You might want to store your filaments in an air-conditioned location to minimize them soaking up humidity, especially any nylon or polycarbonate.

You'll have a shorter wait for the nozzle and platform to come up to temp than those of us in more northerly climes :)

julia

markspend01

Post by markspend01 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Hey Lawrence well i think the statement which you provide about 3d printer is amazing.Thanks!!

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:31 pm

I just got two male and female cockatiels and don't want them to be injured either, I open the windows and turn on a fan and the cage in my bedroom. I also have another fan on the otherside on blowing air away from that room. Just in case, don't want to take any chances on having my little guys dying on me. After all this is set up then I print. ;)

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:59 pm

Hi all
I tend to think that keeping 4 cocketiels and the possibility of catching some ailment from them in the confined space if your bedroom may be a greater health risk than inhaling ABS fumes. Also they drop feathers and spread seed husk that may get onto and into you printer - causing print problems.
Once again, just my own opinion.
Regards
Lawrence

roller

Post by roller » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:51 am

Lawrence wrote:Hi all
I tend to think that keeping 4 cocketiels and the possibility of catching some ailment from them in the confined space if your bedroom may be a greater health risk than inhaling ABS fumes. Also they drop feathers and spread seed husk that may get onto and into you printer - causing print problems.
Once again, just my own opinion.
Regards
Lawrence
Some trivia to reinforce that point - There was a study which showed pet owners tend to live longer than those without pets ... the exception being those with birds who live shorter than those without pets ... so keeping birds may indeed be detrimental to your health ... but who can say where printers fall on that scale. I primarily printed PLA with my repraps because of the bio-compatibility of PLA which should make it a little less risking nano particle or otherwise. I just wish my Up was so PLA friendly - the result from PLA are quite reasonable if overheating wasn't such an issue.

LonV

Post by LonV » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:05 am

<smartass> Maybe building a ventilated enclosure for the birds is a better idea. </smartass>

roller

Post by roller » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:08 am

Or at least printing an owl maybe be a healthier alternative to keeping own :p