Laser cutter?

Talk about anything.
scubamatt41

Laser cutter?

Post by scubamatt41 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:13 pm

I hope to add a laser cutter to my toy collection. There are a lot of laser cutters out there which makes it a laser cut jungle :roll:
Can anybody guide me please? Initial spec's I try to meet are:

1. workspace: somewere between 400x400mm (15,74" x 15,74") and 600x600mm (23,62" x 23,64") or a varius combination of dim's. I hope I explain myself here?
2. cutting: plastic's, no glass but able to cut through max 2mm soft metal i.e. no stainless on high grade's
?..........Please feel free to fill in :)

Any help is welcome
Cheers, Matt
Always breath out on the way UP

Lawrence

Re: Laser cutter?

Post by Lawrence » Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi Matt
I have a 50 watt laser engraver/cutter with a 500 X 300mm work area. You will need a much more powerful laser if you want to cut metal. The killer will be the cost of replacement laser tubes. I reckon you might be better using a CNC router. A nuch cheaper option. Having said that, my laser is great for cutting acrylic. I have cut up to 15mm thick acrylic. I also use it the engrave labels for a local business that requires regular supply and short lead time.
It pays for my other toys.
Regards
Lawrence

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue May 14, 2013 12:14 pm

I got one of the cheap 40W eBay lasers. They're great value but you need to "fix" it when it arrives and I ditched the awful Moshidraw software / controller for a ChrisCircuits.com one. However, you need a larger build area so will need to spend a bit more.

As Lawrence said, cutting metal with a laser means you need to step up into the big bucks territory. Anything more than engraving anodised aluminium (i.e "unanodising" it) isn't cheap.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi and thanks so far,

I've seen the eBay cutters and also some of the reviews. Indeed those cutters need some checking and what not. I don't like the idea of tinkering on a laser cutter to be honest. Cutting through metal isn't a must, just a sort of extra. The wallet is still extra extra small :cry:

I've also seen the Epilog 24 mini (mini is just my thing ;) ) but no idea what the pricing is?
If it's the same as the Full spectrum lasers or in that range I'm afraid I have to do some tinkering on a eBay laser.

Cheers, Matt

whiterock

Post by whiterock » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:37 am

Here you guys have a great talk and great suggestions.. Well I have 50 Watt Co2 Laser cutting machine for sale. And want to sell it due to some personal problem.. Machining size is 500mm x 300mm with adjustable height table.. And more about the machine so I sure your machine has done very very little work.. It will be good deal..

medical scale
Last edited by whiterock on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi whiterock, can you send or post some details please? Thanks

roller

Post by roller » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Maybe I am just becoming cynical and jaded (or I was laready) but I think whiterock might be spam ... their posts look a lot like the "long con" spam we are seeing on our CNC forum.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:39 pm

roller wrote:Maybe I am just becoming cynical and jaded (or I was laready) but I think whiterock might be spam ... their posts look a lot like the "long con" spam we are seeing on our CNC forum.
Totally agree. Don't send any money, scubamatt, unless you're really sure.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Okay thanks to roller and juliadee for the warning. I also looked into the "long con", very interresting.

"The Players in the ConEdit

There are three key players in any long con: a victim, a con artist, and one or more associates.

The Mark: The intended victim of the con.
The Grifter: A practitioner of confidence tricks, or more informally, a con artist. A grifter may play many roles, and often creates multiple personas over their career.
The Shill: An accomplice to the grifter, who has no apparent connection to the con. Shills are put in place to encourage the mark to act in the desired way.

A long con is executed in one or two settings: a real world setting, or an empty room, known as a big store set up to look like a real world setting, such as a stock trading room. For a long con to work, it requires a team of grifters, which plays a variety of roles. Some players may be experts at one role, others can change them up as the con demands.

The Roper: The member of the crew who identifies the mark, and lures the mark in. The roper usually begins by finding a way to get close to the mark, insinuating himself into the mark's life. Slowly, he or she makes the con sound enticing by offering the mark what he seems to want, leading up to an introduction to the inside man. From there, the roper's job is to keep the mark interested. He or she may create the illusion they are a participant in whatever opportunity the con offers the mark. The roper is often an older man with the appearance of affluence or an enticing woman, who embodies what the mark aspires to: wealth and the attention of a beautiful woman.
The Inside Man: The crew member in charge, who executes the con.

The Fixer: Often works near, but not close, to The Inside Man, as back-up and coordinate resources as the con unfolds. This is probably the most versatile role in the con, and the person has to have a combination of skills, from Grifting to Hitting. Often this person will wear more than one alias during the con, so they need to be easy for the Mark to forget.
The Face: A shill, generally an attractive female used to distract or encourage the mark.
The Outside Man: This could be a potential threat (as a fake Law Enforcement Official) or a potential fake target for the Mark to exploit, to gain the Mark's confidence.
The Floater: A secondary Inside Man, who can work in conjunction on The Mark, or work a secondary angle on the same con."

according to wikkipedia

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:47 am

I just meant long con in the spam sense ... that is they post many vaguely valid posts so they get past manual moderation before bombing the site with a hundred spam posts... but yes, may also be a scammer.

On the laser front, as I think was mentioned, you will struggle with metal. It needs to be prepared with a paint or finish to make it absorb rather than reflect the laser. Typically you'd be looking at 100W (from memory) if you want to work with metal that thickness and can bare all the prep and cleanup. I always have to get my metal cut by waterjet or CNC. Glass presents similar issues though I know you said you weren't needing that.

About 40W is good for acrylic up to about 4mm though you will need to cut slow or multipass or gas assist I think to get a good cut and 60W should do it without fuss. Laser is a lot of fuss and hard to do/get on a budget. Can you possible live with a CNC instead i.e. noise, unable to do internal corners smaller than the bit/endmill radius. I built my 1200x600mm (4' x 2') for about $1000 and that's in Australia where everything is overpriced.

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 am

I just meant long con in the spam sense ... that is they post many vaguely valid posts so they get past manual moderation before bombing the site with a hundred spam posts... but yes, may also be a scammer.
I'm positive whiterock is a spammer using forums like this to increase traffic to his website.
Here he asks if anyone knows where to get Drum Scales for under $500 and then has a link to a drum scale website on his signature!:
http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 807#p20807

Shame some of the established members of this forum can't be made moderators to cut this kind of thing out - it's so annoying when you realise you've read these random posts, spent time trying to understand them and then realise you've wasted that effort on an idiot promoting his own crap

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Most are fairly obvious too ... I presume the moderators aren't native English speakers.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:32 pm

I would like a laser cutter also.

QU-BD keeps on talking about selling them.

Seems like 200 watts for metal.

I have a plasma cutter that I could probably make CNC.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:53 am

Seems like 200 watts for metal.
At least unless your only cutting foils and annoying prep to put a laser friendly surface on the metal to be cut so it doesn't just reflect all the light back up the laser path. Laser cutting metal is generally a pain.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 pm

For those looking at a rayjet trom trotec, sales called me and said it was approx. € 10.000,-
The rayjet is entry level type, ahum, ahum

chippwalters

Post by chippwalters » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:20 am

I heard some good things about this one:
http://fslaser.com/products/lasers/hobb ... s/newhobby

But, I do not own one so I can't vouch for it.