Talk about anything.
rsilvers

Re: New Up Plus 2 is Coming...

Post by rsilvers » Wed May 15, 2013 4:49 pm

That was already answered.

outsider

Post by outsider » Wed May 15, 2013 8:53 pm

From the images, it looks like the same build volume as the printer it replaces.

adrian.
adrian.
My Blog

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 am

Does anyone know, or can anyone official make a response to this question: Will the Up! Plus be upgradable to the Up! Plus2? I cant afford a new printer anytime in the near future and when I can I want to buy something with a bigger build area, but I could afford to pay for upgrade addons if they become available.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu May 16, 2013 12:49 am

Hi teamcarlisle
The hardware improvements appear to be only easier leveling and calibrating. These are good improvements and will be appreciated by new customers, but when I only need to adjust the height and leveling only occasionally, and then it takes only a couple of minutes, I don't see any need to upgrade.
Plus, I am sure we current Uppers will get the benefit of the software upgrade.
Regards
Lawrence

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu May 16, 2013 1:18 am

Lawrence wrote:Hi teamcarlisle
The hardware improvements appear to be only easier leveling and calibrating. These are good improvements and will be appreciated by new customers, but when I only need to adjust the height and leveling only occasionally, and then it takes only a couple of minutes, I don't see any need to upgrade.
Regards
Lawrence

I know, and I love my Ups :D I swap between the perf board and a glass plate on occasion and just thought it'd be nice if I didnt have to spend as much time re-leveling/calibrating every time. On a side note, I'm also curious what those clips are in the pic, I'd like to find some like that, plus that black perfboard looks nice.

Lann

Post by Lann » Thu May 16, 2013 1:39 am

teamcarlisle wrote:
Regards
Lawrence

I know, and I love my Ups :D I swap between the perf board and a glass plate on occasion and just thought it'd be nice if I didnt have to spend as much time re-leveling/calibrating every time. On a side note, I'm also curious what those clips are in the pic, I'd like to find some like that, plus that black perfboard looks nice.
The clips will replace the binder clips we are using now. According to my distributor, you will only need to turn 3 clips at the front and slide the perfboard. Faster and easier. But I'm not sure whether it can be removed completely. On the hardware for leveling and calibrating, from what I saw you will need to replace the platform since the hardware is attached to the platform. Anyway, I will check with my distributor again whether it is upgradable.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu May 16, 2013 1:44 am

Lann wrote:
teamcarlisle wrote:
Regards
Lawrence

The clips will replace the binder clips we are using now. According to my distributor, you will only need to turn 3 clips at the front and slide the perfboard. Faster and easier. But I'm not sure whether it can be removed completely. On the hardware for leveling and calibrating, from what I saw you will need to replace the platform since the hardware is attached to the platform. Anyway, I will check with my distributor again whether it is upgradable.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Its not critical for me, I'm happy either way, just thought I'd ask

hajime

Post by hajime » Thu May 16, 2013 2:41 am

Any data on the print speed in practice when compared with the current model?

roller

Post by roller » Thu May 16, 2013 6:57 am

I would suspect the printer has change little except for the new addon and so the speed will be the same. I think they would need bigger steppers for faster printing and there is no sign that's been done.

Temacarlisle - you shouldn't need to relevel when changing print beds unless one is type is not flat. All you need to do is offset the start height by the difference in thickness. Now if one isn't flat then you could compensate with the software leveling - just record the values so you can switch them and mark aligning corners on you beds so you always put them the same way round.

hajime

Post by hajime » Thu May 16, 2013 7:30 am

So, if the purchase is within a month time frame, do you recommend somebody to get the Up Plus! now or wait for the Up Plus 2? From the discussions we have so far, it seems that it doesn't matter. Of course, with the new printer, there is a possibility that there might be some problems. How likely could this be?

Fred

Post by Fred » Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 pm

I'd go with the current Up Plus. You should be able to get a good deal if a replacement model is on its way.

hajime

Post by hajime » Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Fred wrote:I'd go with the current Up Plus. You should be able to get a good deal if a replacement model is on its way.
Sorry, what do you mean by getting a "good deal if a replacement model is on its way"? I returned the printer due to some issues. I can get the same model or wait for the Up Plus 2. Not sure if it is worth waiting as we don't know when it will be delivered. We also don't know if the new model would have any issue.

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Thu May 16, 2013 4:20 pm

hajime wrote:
Fred wrote:I'd go with the current Up Plus. You should be able to get a good deal if a replacement model is on its way.
Sorry, what do you mean by getting a "good deal if a replacement model is on its way"? I returned the printer due to some issues. I can get the same model or wait for the Up Plus 2. Not sure if it is worth waiting as we don't know when it will be delivered. We also don't know if the new model would have any issue.
Personally I would wait for Up Plus 2.
http://www.prsnlz.me/maker/pp3dp-announ ... t-printer/
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

Garry

Post by Garry » Thu May 16, 2013 10:15 pm

JuliaDee wrote:Nozzle Height Detect also sounds like a bit of a "frill". These features may add some convenience but are certainly not crucial to operation and enjoyment. More things to break/go wrong...

julia
Well said. Personally I like the way it is now without extra bits that can break.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Interestingly a recent customers machine arrived and he noted a small amount of blue filament still left on the nozzle. Looks like it was used to print parts for the new UPs! At least if they are blue, as the pictures show, and not white.

I have also noticed quite a few small changes over the last 12-18 months, like changes to part designs, spring belt tensioners etc and recently the hot end and heat sink. I wonder if the new UP is just a culmination of all those changes, plus bed leveling. The rest is just software, and we will all benefit from that. The UP Plus you buy today is quite a different machine to the one you would have got 18 months ago. I guess it has evolved to a point that it deserves a new designation?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

nickw

Post by nickw » Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 am

Does anyone know if the up! and afinia software are the same? I like the mid-print pausing feature, but afinia doesnt have any anouncements up.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri May 17, 2013 1:52 am

nickw wrote:Does anyone know if the up! and afinia software are the same? I like the mid-print pausing feature, but afinia doesnt have any anouncements up.
Any software updates to the Up! that are not specific to any new "Plus 2" hardware will also be 100% applicable to the Afinia, since the Afinia is identical for most practical purposes to the Up Plus.

julia

hajime

Post by hajime » Fri May 17, 2013 2:30 am

JuliaDee wrote:
nickw wrote:Does anyone know if the up! and afinia software are the same? I like the mid-print pausing feature, but afinia doesnt have any anouncements up.
Any software updates to the Up! that are not specific to any new "Plus 2" hardware will also be 100% applicable to the Afinia, since the Afinia is identical for most practical purposes to the Up Plus.

julia
Is the Afinia the same as the Up Plus but being sold by another company as another brand?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri May 17, 2013 2:37 am

hajime wrote:
JuliaDee wrote:

julia
Is the Afinia the same as the Up Plus but being sold by another company as another brand?
Yes. Afinia have made some small hardware modifications like LED on the front panel, full-size USB socket on the rear instead of the miniature one on the Up, redesigned mainboard for better noise immunity and emissions. The mechanism and software are pretty much identical. They had a stronger extruder support bracket before the mainstream Up I think, but I believe the Up now has that too. They also innovated with a stronger cooling fan and better duct design but again I think these improvements have been incorporated by pp3dp into the Up. The Afinia I got a couple of weeks ago (but didn't have a chance to try before i left the country) has a much smaller heater block than my Up; not sure if the Ups have that now or not.

The most significant difference between the two might be in customer support, especially if you are in the USA. Afinia offers free telephone customer support to their users. Customer support from pp3dp seems to be hit or miss.

julia

hajime

Post by hajime » Fri May 17, 2013 3:05 am

JuliaDee wrote: The most significant difference between the two might be in customer support, especially if you are in the USA. Afinia offers free telephone customer support to their users. Customer support from pp3dp seems to be hit or miss.

julia
So, at some point after the Up Plus 2 is on the market, we will see an Afinia 2 which will have a very similar specifications?