New Up Plus 2 is Coming...

Talk about anything.
Lawrence

Re: New Up Plus 2 is Coming...

Post by Lawrence » Fri May 17, 2013 3:59 am

Hi
I reckon it will have exactly the same specifications except that it weight will be slightly different - the difference will be the weight if the Afinia badge they stick onto the Up!Plus 2.
Just my opinion.
Regards
Lawrence

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Fri May 17, 2013 8:38 am

Does anyone know what "Thin surface print" of the 1.19 software means exactly ?
Is it single-wall layers ?

Star3DPrint

Post by Star3DPrint » Fri May 17, 2013 2:46 pm

eyUP wrote:Does anyone know what "Thin surface print" of the 1.19 software means exactly ?
Is it single-wall layers ?
Yes, it only prints the outermost layer of your model with no support. Things like tops will sag really badly, but even complex exteriors can print remarkably well. It also prints extremely quickly, and of course uses very little material. I printed a 20MM cube model with no top or bottom and measured wall thickness at 0.52MM. It makes me curious if the minimum wall thickness in standard printing modes (which I recall Roller for one really needed), has been decreased as well?

roller

Post by roller » Fri May 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Colour me excited ... fingers crossed for full thin wall support! Though I bet they don't put it in the Mac software!

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri May 17, 2013 3:16 pm

hajime wrote:
Fred wrote:I'd go with the current Up Plus. You should be able to get a good deal if a replacement model is on its way.
Sorry, what do you mean by getting a "good deal if a replacement model is on its way"? I returned the printer due to some issues. I can get the same model or wait for the Up Plus 2. Not sure if it is worth waiting as we don't know when it will be delivered. We also don't know if the new model would have any issue.
I didn't realise you'd already bought one (as you only mentioned that on a previous page). I thought you were about to purchase one. All I meant was that the current Up Plus is a good printer - if I was buying now and could get a reasonable discount on the current model I'd go for that rather than waiting.

Star3DPrint

Post by Star3DPrint » Fri May 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Here is the example I referred to for 'Surface Printing'
single layer 3.jpg
single layer 3.jpg (156.57 KiB) Viewed 15787 times

hajime

Post by hajime » Fri May 17, 2013 3:29 pm

Fred wrote:
hajime wrote:
Fred wrote:I'd go with the current Up Plus. You should be able to get a good deal if a replacement model is on its way.
Sorry, what do you mean by getting a "good deal if a replacement model is on its way"? I returned the printer due to some issues. I can get the same model or wait for the Up Plus 2. Not sure if it is worth waiting as we don't know when it will be delivered. We also don't know if the new model would have any issue.
I didn't realise you'd already bought one (as you only mentioned that on a previous page). I thought you were about to purchase one. All I meant was that the current Up Plus is a good printer - if I was buying now and could get a reasonable discount on the current model I'd go for that rather than waiting.
Actually I bought it, opened the box and found some issues, returned it to the store without using. I can ask them to give me a new Up Plus or get the refund and wait for the Up Plus 2. Any suggestion?

Astro

Post by Astro » Sun May 19, 2013 9:38 am

Should I raise the question of temperature control?

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Mon May 20, 2013 9:48 am

Actually I bought it, opened the box and found some issues, returned it to the store without using. I can ask them to give me a new Up Plus or get the refund and wait for the Up Plus 2. Any suggestion?
My understanding is that the UP! Plus 2 will be a bit more expensive.
If the latest 1.19 software (with thin wall etc.) works on the current UP! then it's really down to whether you want to pay the premium for the UP! 2 with automatic levelling and height setting.
It seems to me that the new printer is pretty much a deluxe version of the current machine.
Here is the example I referred to for 'Surface Printing'
Thanks for the examples :) I'm glad they've listened and added this ability

hajime

Post by hajime » Wed May 22, 2013 1:39 am

Star3DPrint wrote:Here is the example I referred to for 'Surface Printing'
single layer 3.jpg
The one in the middle does not seem to look good. There are gaps.

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 pm

The one in the middle does not seem to look good. There are gaps.
The idea of this option (now I've seen it in action) is that you can print single wall items such as this bracelet:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47349
Where the outer surface of the model is created by a single pass of the extruder, no inner walls, fills or surfaces are created

If you want to print models like that head, you just wouldn't use the thin surface print option.
It goes to show how clever the UP! software is at filling surfaces so that you don't get models coming out like that :o

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed May 22, 2013 1:45 pm

It's also a rather interesting artistic effect for the head sculpture. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

hajime

Post by hajime » Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 am

Anybody knows when the printer will be available? Is the current ABS compatible with the Up Plus 2?

mrt

Post by mrt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:02 am

The New Features will be good for new buyers but its great news for existing users with the new software enhancements.
Looking forward to early reviews.

Michael
http://www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au
Michael
3D Printing Solutions
www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au

LonV

Post by LonV » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:03 am

So I saw a video of the auto-level feature on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aykfLbp4zU).

Does anyone know if this is a hardware level (like it's adjusting the spring tension) or is this just doing the software platform calibration for us? I find even that with the software calibration, I still get much better results if my platform is as physically level as possible.

Thanks,

Lon

P.S. -- No, I don't speak Russian. :P

roller

Post by roller » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:01 am

It's platform calibration in software only it's not going to physically relevel the platform.

LonV

Post by LonV » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:01 am

Ah, okay...thanks for the info!

Sourcery

Post by Sourcery » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:16 am

hajime wrote:Anybody knows if the build volumn is the same as the Up Plus?
Yes, The build volume is exactly the same.

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:54 pm

"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:43 am

Nice ... I want a white one. Sick of seeing that bunny though.