New Up Plus 2 is Coming...

Talk about anything.
Lann

New Up Plus 2 is Coming...

Post by Lann » Mon May 13, 2013 12:10 pm

I went to my local distributor office today and guess what..they were testing the new Up Plus 2 which they received a few days ago. They were also testing the software version 1.19 beta. The only thing I can tell is it comes with an automatic platform calibration. You can contact your local distributor if you want to know more but don't expect too much. ;)

Neal

Re: New Up Plus 2 is Coming...

Post by Neal » Mon May 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Did you get to see it? How did it's build size compare to the current Up?

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Mon May 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Lann wrote:I went to my local distributor office today and guess what..they were testing the new Up Plus 2 which they received a few days ago. They were also testing the software version 1.19 beta. The only thing I can tell is it comes with an automatic platform calibration. You can contact your local distributor if you want to know more but don't expect too much. ;)
Sounds good. Hope there's more news coming.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

changfrancis

Post by changfrancis » Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 pm

About time. I had been saving since my Up! version 1

Lann

Post by Lann » Tue May 14, 2013 3:24 am

No change to the build size but I was told there is already a bigger Up Plus in the pipeline, maybe we have to wait for next year. Anyway, some of the new features for the software version UP1.19 are as follows:

1. Platform level calibration by software. 2. Remove the raft height option. Optimize for the raft printing. Raft is thinner. 3. Raft is limited to be printed within build envelop. Allow full range model printing on the platform even with raft. 4. Scall added in the build dialogue. Easy to recognize X axis and Y axis with colorful scall on X axis and Y axis. 5. Optimize for view of the build dialogue. 6. Optimize for wall printing. Inner fill is more close to the wall and the printed wall will be much solid. 7. For layer thickness thinner than 0.2mm, the support structure is much easier to remove. 8. For model with a vertical wall, the outer wall will be more smooth (even). 9. Debug the temperature shown percentage issue after a print is stopped. Show temperature after print is stopped. 10. Enable the Mac software ROM update feature. 11. Added shell printing pattern to Windows software. Increase the printing effciency for hollow models. 12. Enhanced with LOGO.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Tue May 14, 2013 3:40 am

Hi all
All of this is a plus (pardon the pun) for those purchasing their first Up!, but for me, unless it has option to print with 0.1mm layers and adjustable temperature controls, I'll wait for the Up! Mega.
Regards
Lawrence

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:09 am

Lann wrote: 5. Optimize for view of the build dialogue.
Is that the same as preview of support?
Is 1.19 also for the Mini?

Matt
Always breath out on the way UP

hajime

Post by hajime » Tue May 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Lann wrote:No change to the build size but I was told there is already a bigger Up Plus in the pipeline, maybe we have to wait for next year. Anyway, some of the new features for the software version UP1.19 are as follows:

1. Platform level calibration by software. 2. Remove the raft height option. Optimize for the raft printing. Raft is thinner. 3. Raft is limited to be printed within build envelop. Allow full range model printing on the platform even with raft. 4. Scall added in the build dialogue. Easy to recognize X axis and Y axis with colorful scall on X axis and Y axis. 5. Optimize for view of the build dialogue. 6. Optimize for wall printing. Inner fill is more close to the wall and the printed wall will be much solid. 7. For layer thickness thinner than 0.2mm, the support structure is much easier to remove. 8. For model with a vertical wall, the outer wall will be more smooth (even). 9. Debug the temperature shown percentage issue after a print is stopped. Show temperature after print is stopped. 10. Enable the Mac software ROM update feature. 11. Added shell printing pattern to Windows software. Increase the printing effciency for hollow models. 12. Enhanced with LOGO.
Are these features useful? Can the current Up Plus uses these features? I just bought the Up Plus. Haven't used it yet. If the new one is coming soon, I want to return it and wait for the new one.

roller

Post by roller » Tue May 14, 2013 2:12 pm

Are these features useful? Can the current Up Plus uses these features? I just bought the Up Plus. Haven't used it yet. If the new one is coming soon, I want to return it and wait for the new one.
Hajime, we should see features such as these working with the current Up! Plus ... all of that list is about the software and does not require any special new hardware features so just like all previous software upgrades it will work with the Up Plus.

I just hope they make a decent Mac version for once.

Lann

Post by Lann » Tue May 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Like Roller mentioned, current Up Plus owner can use the new software. But we will not be able to use at least 2 new features, Auto Level and Nozzle Height Detect, as it will need a special hardware attached to the back of the platform as you can see in the picture.
up plus 2.jpg
up plus 2.jpg (34.54 KiB) Viewed 17337 times

hajime

Post by hajime » Tue May 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks for the answers. I thought one of the main selling points of the Up Plus is that unlike 3D printers such as the Replicator 2, it works right out of the box and produces good results. How significant will the Auto Level and Nozzle Height Detect be?

changfrancis

Post by changfrancis » Tue May 14, 2013 3:35 pm

I hope they will come out with a upgrade kit. since there are so many Up users already.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 pm

hajime wrote:How significant will the Auto Level and Nozzle Height Detect be?
After you have used your Up! for a while you will be able to answer this question for yourself. After a year of using mine I've never felt a big need for either of these features. I only check my bed level once or twice a month and re-leveling takes only a couple of minutes. Nozzle Height Detect also sounds like a bit of a "frill". These features may add some convenience but are certainly not crucial to operation and enjoyment. More things to break/go wrong...

julia

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed May 15, 2013 12:30 am

Hi all
I agree with Julia. Only occasional leveling and height adjustment is required - and even then it only takes a few minutes,
Also, if every time a new printer comes out we get disappointed because something new has or in this case will hit the market, we will never be satisfied with out current printer - because printers and their software are evolving and improving almost daily.
I am positive that if you wait 5 years you will get a printer that makes all current printers seem like antiques, but o wait and wait for the next new thing means missing out on the enjoyment of using your Up! now.
For me, the Up! does what I bought it to do, so it suffices.
Regards
Lawrence

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Wed May 15, 2013 3:09 am

What the Up! would most benefit from is a larger build platform. I like the Z detect - don't like crashing my Z.

hajime

Post by hajime » Wed May 15, 2013 7:54 am

So, the Up Plus 2 is not a major upgrade. With the new software update, the current Up! Plus is in pair with the Plus 2. The next purchase will be one with a larger build volumn.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 am

I believe those features were for 1.18. I hope they put the raft thickness option back for 1.19 (support layers and raft thickness in mm).

Curious to see the new Up and the software!

Lann wrote:No change to the build size but I was told there is already a bigger Up Plus in the pipeline, maybe we have to wait for next year. Anyway, some of the new features for the software version UP1.19 are as follows:

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed May 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Neal

Post by Neal » Wed May 15, 2013 12:55 pm

One new software feature that is now mentioned is "Pause printing at a certain height." That will be nice for changing colors at a specific point on the print.

Also, on one of my jobs I have to try to stop the print at a certain height so I can dampen the top surface of the last layer of support material to cool it. Otherwise it is fused to the next layer of my print which is deep inside an area where it is very hard to remove.

The hardware upgrades should be nice for new users but are certainly not vital for anyone who has been using the existing manual leveling and height calibration and now has the hang of it.

It is great to see that the factory continues to try to fine tune the software and make it available to existing users. Now about that temp control .....

hajime

Post by hajime » Wed May 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Anybody knows if the build volumn is the same as the Up Plus?