How is STARATASYS uPrint Plus compared with the UP! Plus?

Talk about anything.
hajime

How is STARATASYS uPrint Plus compared with the UP! Plus?

Post by hajime » Sun May 12, 2013 11:42 am

Has anybody used the STARATASYS FPRTUS, uPrint Plus and UP! Plus? How are they compared with each other in terms of print quality and print speed? I read that the uPrint Plus uses ABS Plus.

tabi

Re: How is STARATASYS uPrint Plus compared with the UP! Plus

Post by tabi » Mon May 13, 2013 9:50 pm

I have a test print from a uPrint that a friend has and printed the same object with my up! Plus.
Let me see if I can take a picture to show the differences tomorrow.
The stratasys print is better in some aspects (precision and accuracy, not to be confused with resolution!), however the Up is holding up better than I thought!

The stratasys machine also has very clearly defined and measured material characteristics, and auto calibration (which I hope the next Up will have, surprised this trend has not started earlier, however I've now seen 3 cheaper printers announce this)

hajime

Post by hajime » Tue May 14, 2013 12:57 am

tabi wrote:I have a test print from a uPrint that a friend has and printed the same object with my up! Plus.
The stratasys print is better in some aspects (precision and accuracy, not to be confused with resolution!), however the Up is holding up better than I thought!

The stratasys machine also has very clearly defined and measured material characteristics, and auto calibration (which I hope the next Up will have, surprised this trend has not started earlier, however I've now seen 3 cheaper printers announce this)
Thanks. What do you mean by "holding up better"? Did both printers finish the job at almost the same time?

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Tue May 14, 2013 10:52 am

I bet a Stratasys couldn't do one of Lawrence's little M2.5 screw's and bolts
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

hajime

Post by hajime » Thu May 16, 2013 5:58 am

Can the Up! Plus prints the type of bracket beautifully like the one on the left of this photo? I mean the one without layers visible.
Attachments
bracket.jpg
bracket.jpg (149.38 KiB) Viewed 17748 times

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu May 16, 2013 6:01 am

Hi
I an sure that an Up! can do it better than the sample on the right.

hajime

Post by hajime » Thu May 16, 2013 6:35 am

Lawrence wrote:Hi
I an sure that an Up! can do it better than the sample on the right.
So, do you mean the output of the Up! is kind of intermediate between the two? The one on the left was made using the uPrint Plus.

roller

Post by roller » Thu May 16, 2013 6:41 am

Can the Up! Plus prints the type of bracket beautifully like the one on the left of this photo? I mean the one without layers visible.
Only powder and SLS printers can produce a print where there are no discernable layers. Even with a very fine layer height you can currently see layers in any FDM/FFM style printer. That said the Up! prints are so neat in the example above with straight sides you have to look very close to notice the layers. An Up! print will look very close to the print on the left and nothing at all like the print on the right.

You can also smooth off prints with post printing methods like an acetone bath, a quick sand or a spray with filler and quick buff.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu May 16, 2013 7:31 am

The photo is difficult to see, but if that's a uprint part on the left, the up plus will be the same or better.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

hajime

Post by hajime » Thu May 16, 2013 8:08 am

wackojacko wrote:The photo is difficult to see, but if that's a uprint part on the left, the up plus will be the same or better.
Yes. The one on the left was made using the uprint.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu May 16, 2013 8:21 am

Hi again
If the Up! software allowed us to select a 0.3 or even a 0.2mm nozzle, and to print 0.1mm layers, the quality would get pretty close to the one on the left. Even with the 0.4mm nozzle, 0,15mm layers and in Fine mode, I reckon a well setup Up!Plus will do better than the one on the right.
And as roller said, some post print acetone will improve it further.
Regards
Lawrence

roller

Post by roller » Thu May 16, 2013 1:40 pm

I print on one of my repraps at 0.1mm layer height with a 0.25mm nozzle and the Up! looks better at 0.2mm layer height with it's stock 0.4 nozzle. There is not much to be gained and a world of hassle. Once you get to 0.05mm layer height it does look a little better, mostly on very curved pieces but it's often very hard to match the Up! print appearance.

hajime

Post by hajime » Wed May 22, 2013 8:00 am

tabi wrote:I have a test print from a uPrint that a friend has and printed the same object with my up! Plus.
Can you please post the comparison photo?

Lann

Post by Lann » Wed May 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Today, I got a chance to see Objet30, Connex350, Connex 500, Dimension, uPrint Plus and Mojo in action at a machinery exhibition in my country. I got to compare the samples from all the printer and personally for me, the quality of uPrint and Mojo printed object is better than our Up Plus. Well, they don't call it the 3D printers for the professional for nothing. There is also Cube from 3D Systems and no doubt Up Plus is far much better and cheaper...

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed May 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi
Regarding:
Today, I got a chance to see Objet30, Connex350, Connex 500, Dimension, uPrint Plus and Mojo in action at a machinery exhibition in my country. I got to compare the samples from all the printer and personally for me, the quality of uPrint and Mojo printed object is better than our Up Plus.
Well, that really is unexpected that 3D printers that cost between 6 times and 50 times more than the Up! actually print better than the Up!
For the price, the Up!Plus is a worthy contender in a print quality comparison.
If being fair, compare the Objet30 with the Up!s bigger brother, the Inspire D290. I saw it in operation recently and was very impressed.
Having seen samples from the $10K+ Mojo, I reckon the print quality is not very different - and that was when the minimum layer on Up!Plus was 0.2mm (See: http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2034)
Also, I am not disappointed that the printers listed above have a better print quality, but rather I am impressed once again with the mighty little Up!Plus, that it is seen to be worthy of being compared with them.
Just my own opinion.
Regards
Lawrence

hajime

Post by hajime » Wed May 22, 2013 1:42 pm

So, even with the latest version of the software, the print quality of CubeX is still not good. If I want something with equal of better print quality than the Up Plus but larger build volume and faster, which printer do you recommend?

Star3DPrint

Post by Star3DPrint » Wed May 22, 2013 4:01 pm

Here is a comparison of the sample print that Stratasys gives out and a model printed from a similar file off thingiverse. The one with the holes in the top is from a UPrint Plus and the one with no holes is from an Up! Mini. To me, the quality is not much different, its the material which you notice. Im not sure if this model is treated to the solution bath that Stratasys uses to remove support material or not. It is a glossy finish, where the other colors of Stratasys material I have printed appear more matte, like the Up! filament.
3 salt #3.jpg
3 salt #3.jpg (225.3 KiB) Viewed 17519 times

Lann

Post by Lann » Thu May 23, 2013 4:17 am

hajime wrote:So, even with the latest version of the software, the print quality of CubeX is still not good. If I want something with equal of better print quality than the Up Plus but larger build volume and faster, which printer do you recommend?
Maybe we can wait for this http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zor ... y_launched but only if the claim is true.

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Thu May 23, 2013 8:06 am

Maybe we can wait for this http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zor ... y_launched but only if the claim is true.
That machine looks really promising :)
The only thing I didn't like (if I understand correctly) is that the USB port is only for firmware updates and you have to save GCode to an SD card from your PC, then remove and put the card into the machine.
Maybe I'm being a bit lazy !?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu May 23, 2013 11:56 am

eyUP wrote:
That machine looks really promising :)
The only thing I didn't like (if I understand correctly) is that the USB port is only for firmware updates and you have to save GCode to an SD card from your PC, then remove and put the card into the machine.
Maybe I'm being a bit lazy !?
Somewhat unclear - it says "No USB connection required", but I don't see that it says you can't download print files via USB if you want to. I agree, having to do the card shuffle all the time would be a nuisance. In any case, I'd think that it might be something they could add with software if it's currently missing.

Promising-looking printer for sure.

julia