UP! Plus or CubeX Trio

Talk about anything.
rsilvers

Re: UP! Plus or CubeX Trio

Post by rsilvers » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:32 pm

I read a review that said that Parallels was better for a Retina display Mac doing certain graphics. I have Vmware and am very happy. My friend has both and I asked him which he prefers and he said it depends on what he is doing.

My Vmware starts up pretty fast. I will time it. I do have a SSD though. You would want 8 GB minimum RAM but I wouldn't get a new machine with less than 16 GB and an SSD.

hajime

Post by hajime » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:19 am

Curify released a new version of their software yesterday. Has anyone tried it? Has the current version fixed all the problems?

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:33 am

On my more-than-two-year-old Macbook, Vmware starts up from not running at all, to Windows completely working, in 9 seconds, and quits (saving the state and exiting) in 4 seconds.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:38 am

rsilvers wrote:On my more-than-two-year-old Macbook, Vmware starts up from not running at all, to Windows completely working, in 9 seconds, and quits (saving the state and exiting) in 4 seconds.
Good god. Parallels takes minutes, at least 5 or 10 of them, on my 2-year-old MB Plus with 4GB RAM. During that time it teases me by looking like it's ready to rock, but clicking on anything brings up the wait cursor. I usually start the boot process and go make coffee or something. When it stops making the sound of drivers being activated I know it's getting close. I am a little tight on drive space (25GB available); maybe that's part of the problem.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:51 am

Basically 8+ GB of RAM and an SSD is what is needed to fix that. RAM is so cheap I just put 36 GB into my quite old desktop. SSDs not so much.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:25 am

JuliaDee wrote:
rsilvers wrote:On my more-than-two-year-old Macbook, Vmware starts up from not running at all, to Windows completely working, in 9 seconds, and quits (saving the state and exiting) in 4 seconds.
Good god. Parallels takes minutes, at least 5 or 10 of them, on my 2-year-old MB Plus with 4GB RAM. During that time it teases me by looking like it's ready to rock, but clicking on anything brings up the wait cursor. I usually start the boot process and go make coffee or something. When it stops making the sound of drivers being activated I know it's getting close. I am a little tight on drive space (25GB available); maybe that's part of the problem.
If you're memory is tight and your disk too that will slow you right down. Also the newer the version of Parallels or VMWare the faster it boots. As a former virtualisation consultant (I guess I still am but I my customers don't have a lot of call for it) I have to say they are pretty close to equal. There are some distinct differences and it depends on your apps but generally Parallels is a little better for graphics performance and VMWare Fusion is a little more robust and compatible across the board. But if both are equally optimised it's usually a close call for performance. So don't feel bad Julia - you probably just need a cleanup.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Cleanup wont make 4 GB ram big enough to run MacOX and Windows at the same time.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:03 pm

rsilvers wrote:Cleanup wont make 4 GB ram big enough to run MacOX and Windows at the same time.
Cleanup will speed up loading because approaching a near full disk causes slowdowns - I wasn't suggesting a cleanup will do do anything for a low RAM issue though unloading a few junky accessories from the menu bar. That said 4GB can be enough for a snappy system depending on what host OS X and guest OS you are running. I have a mini running Snow that will happily run with a nice light XP split about 50/50 for RAM.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm

She said she has 25 GB free - that is not all that close to full.

roller

Post by roller » Wed May 01, 2013 5:29 am

rsilvers wrote:She said she has 25 GB free - that is not all that close to full.
That is close to full - my VMs grind on my Mac when I get under about 50GB remaining on a 750GB disk. It's most likely a fragmentation issue or from being in slower parts of the disk but even on my hybrid drive it get's to be a real grind. I've never bothered to actually diagnose the cause... call it a Mac/HFS+ failing but it's definitely a noticeable issue - might even be related to TimeMachine fuss. Anyway, if you want to discuss we can spawn a new thread. No more hijacking of this one from me.

Winstonc

Post by Winstonc » Thu May 02, 2013 5:49 pm

JuliaDee wrote:
josejuako wrote:Do you thing to buy one from Formlabs?.
I thing in this machine but to day I wait to know more info about the hard results of do a big time print .

Jose
I'm not really in the market for a photopolymer printer right now - the build volume is too small and the materials choice is too limited. Looking more for a bigger build volume in FDM, so the candidates for me at the moment are Replicator 2X, Cubex, and Leapfrog. Fablicator would be a front-runner too, except that it seems they will never make the product. Eventorbot is a good design but it is for open-source hacker types and I prefer a complete turnkey product with integrated software like the Up.

julia

Julia,

You should also check out the Revolution from QU-BD, I have the Revolution XL on order from them to go with my great Up! (Afinia) printer.

David

Winstonc

Post by Winstonc » Thu May 02, 2013 5:53 pm

JuliaDee wrote:
hajime wrote:Hi Lawrence, what is " Gekko sheet"?

I asked them about the weight of filament in each cartridge. They also told me that they could not quote the weight. If they cannot really quote their own product, I don't have a confident to buy their printer. Also, the distributor wrote: "Cube printer is low price series, you can't hope this print make perfect part, if you want to make perfect part,you have to make more money for it." It is the most expensive consumer printer as far as I know. His answer does not sound good!

A few questions:

If I buy the UP!Plus, what other accessories do you recommend?

Should I buy the ABS/PLA from the same company? How can I tell if they are real?

Any good, stronger replacement? I want to make some strong frames for robots. I used the Replicator 2 to make frames of 0.2-0.3 cm thick. However, they could be broken easily.

If I am going to color the models (ABS/PLA), is it better to buy the white color and then print/spray color on?

Can we all request pp3dp to make an UP!Mega?
I recommend buying an Afinia (same as Up but better customer support) from http://www.octave.com. From Octave you should also buy their temperature-lowering switch for best results with 3rd-party ABS and with Nylon.

For starting out you should use the OEM filament and full temperature, that gives the best-looking and strongest parts. Later you can experiment with 3rd-party ABS (Octave's is good - Octave brand, not "3DD" brand) at reduced temperature for lower price and greater color selection.

For high-strength parts you will probably want to try Taulman nylon, either 618 or 645. For that you should buy a Garolite plate (also available from Octave) and use the temperature-lowering switch. Nylon prints can be a little bit "messy-looking" compared with ABS but they're really really strong. You can dye nylon any color you want using regular clothing dye (like RIT) - you can dye the filament before extruding or you can dye the finished parts.

Personally I do not recommend PLA on the Up/Afinia.

I've not tried the Gekko plate as I get good results with the standard perfboard, but I might give it a try sometime.

I just ordered a second Up/Afinia for higher throughput and as a backup.

Julia
I totally agree with Julia recommendations. I had a Replicator 2 on order and cancelled it after reading so many bad user experiences and ordered the Afinia from Ocatave and received it the next day! As my first printer I have had nothing but great experiences with it. It has been printing almost constantly using either ABS from Octave or Afinia.

David

Winstonc

Post by Winstonc » Thu May 02, 2013 5:57 pm

JuliaDee wrote:
hajime wrote:Hi Lawrence, what is " Gekko sheet"?

I asked them about the weight of filament in each cartridge. They also told me that they could not quote the weight. If they cannot really quote their own product, I don't have a confident to buy their printer. Also, the distributor wrote: "Cube printer is low price series, you can't hope this print make perfect part, if you want to make perfect part,you have to make more money for it." It is the most expensive consumer printer as far as I know. His answer does not sound good!

A few questions:

If I buy the UP!Plus, what other accessories do you recommend?

Should I buy the ABS/PLA from the same company? How can I tell if they are real?

Any good, stronger replacement? I want to make some strong frames for robots. I used the Replicator 2 to make frames of 0.2-0.3 cm thick. However, they could be broken easily.

If I am going to color the models (ABS/PLA), is it better to buy the white color and then print/spray color on?

Can we all request pp3dp to make an UP!Mega?
I recommend buying an Afinia (same as Up but better customer support) from http://www.octave.com. From Octave you should also buy their temperature-lowering switch for best results with 3rd-party ABS and with Nylon.

For starting out you should use the OEM filament and full temperature, that gives the best-looking and strongest parts. Later you can experiment with 3rd-party ABS (Octave's is good - Octave brand, not "3DD" brand) at reduced temperature for lower price and greater color selection.

For high-strength parts you will probably want to try Taulman nylon, either 618 or 645. For that you should buy a Garolite plate (also available from Octave) and use the temperature-lowering switch. Nylon prints can be a little bit "messy-looking" compared with ABS but they're really really strong. You can dye nylon any color you want using regular clothing dye (like RIT) - you can dye the filament before extruding or you can dye the finished parts.

Personally I do not recommend PLA on the Up/Afinia.

I've not tried the Gekko plate as I get good results with the standard perfboard, but I might give it a try sometime.

I just ordered a second Up/Afinia for higher throughput and as a backup.

Julia
I totally agree with Julia recommendations. I had a Replicator 2 on order and cancelled it after reading so many bad user experiences and ordered the Afinia from Ocatave and received it the next day! As my first printer I have had nothing but great experiences with it. It has been printing almost constantly using either ABS from Octave or Afinia.

David

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri May 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Winstonc wrote: Julia,

You should also check out the Revolution from QU-BD, I have the Revolution XL on order from them to go with my great Up! (Afinia) printer.

David
Hi David,

Thanks, I ordered a Revolution XL last week :) Really looking forward to it!

Julia

http://store.qu-bd.com/product.php?id_product=44

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Sun May 05, 2013 3:12 am

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun May 05, 2013 9:19 am

rsilvers wrote:Here are some better photos:

http://www.matter-replicator.com/forum/ ... p?f=8&t=67
The first three are of the CNC machine which is a very different beast, but the last is a new view of the FDM printer I hadn't seen before, with its lightweight extruder and basalt platform, thanks!

julia

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Sun May 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Some people are getting the milling version but without the milling head just as a 3D printer because it has a larger print volume. The downside, aside from it costing more, is that the extra mass in the beefier parts limits its speed to 150mm/sec. They are saying the other one is good up to 500 mm/sec. We shall see. I bet people find reasons to never run it above 300. The company may end up saying ""Well the printer can go that fast but the layers need to cool more so we only suggest that speed if you are building two or more of the same object at once."

It is designed to accept four extruders back to back. I am getting two. My second will have a 0.50 nozzle for faster infills or dissolvable support. Maybe I can set the infills to 500 mm/sec. Or maybe that will cause the object to become too hot. The answer is probably to limit infills to 20%.

roller

Post by roller » Tue May 07, 2013 5:28 am

My reprap does 450mm/s plus speeds without any issues of play or wobbly but print quality really falls off after 150mm/s and generally I don't print above 50-60 because it requires too much tuning of the filament, consistency of the environment etc for it to work reliably. If the prints are simple though (like single walled cylinders etc) then you easily can print at these higher speeds without much fuss. I have a screws and belts based printer and generally with screws suitably pitched for 150mm/s with typical NEMA17 motors you are giving up a bit of accuracy versus good (GT2) belts (from memory).

tabi

Post by tabi » Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 am

I had the 3D Touch 3D printer from Bits from bites. And it looks like the CubeX is a improved (I hope) version of this one.

My version had tripple extruders. But I mostly used two, one for support material and one for build material.
The recommendation was to use PLA for support if you wanted to disolve it (but that required a very expensive machine from them).

It required a lot of maintenance and calibration all the time and the bottom plastic platform would stick very very hard to the prints (both in ABS and PLA).
Print quality was ok when it worked, but I had a few 18 hours print not work out at the end.

The nice was that it showed the extruder temperature on the printer so you could see it working.
However every time it changed extruder it would need to re-heat the new extruder up, which took a lot of time.
So changing between support extruder and build extruder increased build time considerably.

It also did not have a heated platform, so there was never a chance to print a very large object that would use the full volume of the printer without a lot of work going into calibration and testing.
Plus it would take probably a few days to print something like the basketball shown on the trio X pictures.

So I hope they have improved the speed.

My impression of the Up! plus us much better, both in print quality, speed and silence (much less noisy!).

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Wed May 08, 2013 3:03 am

The recommendation was to use PLA for support if you wanted to disolve it (but that required a very expensive machine from them).
$175:

http://www.amazon.com/Kendal-Commercial ... ultrasonic