UP! Plus or CubeX Trio

Talk about anything.
hajime

UP! Plus or CubeX Trio

Post by hajime » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:29 am

Hi, which printer produces better quality models? Which runs faster? Thank you.

markloane

Re: UP! Plus or CubeX Trio

Post by markloane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 pm

I have both, the UP! has better software, and will do great high quality builds including hollow. The Cubex will do 3 colours and very large prints, but is slow.

Cubex
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/20w9olv6lrf8 ... 030373.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/20w9olv6lrf8 ... 030909.JPG

Up!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/20w9olv6lrf8 ... 030288.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/20w9olv6lrf8 ... 3414_n.jpg

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:45 pm

I just had my first look at a CubeX at the "Inside 3D Printing" show at the Javits Center in New York. Seeing the Cubex was one of my main reasons for attending the show, and I was pretty underwhelmed by the machine. While its specifications are very impressive, and it looks reasonably well-made, its output and speed while running were not impressive. They had it running a two-color print, basically a solid block of white with their logo in red on the front face. The red logo was very sloppy and stringy-looking, the nozzles had crud hanging all over them, and the machine seemed very slow in all its movements. Maybe it has faster speeds, I dunno. I am also a bit dubious about the design with the whole platform being suspended from a single large leadscrew in the back. The proprietary cartridge aspect is a big negative for me as well. On the other hand, they did have some very clean-looking single-color parts on display, the build volume is ginormous, and with the 2- or 3-head options you can do soluble support.

Across the aisle I was able to get close to MakerBot Replicator 2's and 2X's. While I'd seen this machine briefly last year at MakerFaire, I didn't look at it closely, as I did today. The quality and precision feel of these machines versus the CubeX is like night and day. The Replicator is like a Swiss watch in comparison, and the parts produced back that up - simply amazing (in PLA anyway; they didn't have any ABS models on display). Not quite the build volume of the Cubex, but a very nice machine.

So to your question - Up! vs Cubex in quality and speed. Ignoring the enormous difference in build volume between the two machines, my impression is that the Up moves faster and the print quality is roughly the same, with the Cubex potentially being slightly better since it can print at 100 micron layer height.

julia

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:42 am

Julia thank you very much for sharing. I would ask the fabor to give us more information. If you have to buy another machine from which you are looking at serious?.

José

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:59 am

josejuako wrote:Julia thank you very much for sharing. I would ask the fabor to give us more information. If you have to buy another machine from which you are looking at serious?.

José
José, sometimes I just have to go on intuition. And my intuition in this case is saying "MakerBot". I like the giant build volume and triple extruder, but I don't get a good feeling from Cubex - not from the machine, not from the salespeople, not from the company. And to me, feelings are important.

Julia

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:05 am

Thanks Julia you have more speed like the Cubex . You can see Fromlabs ?.

Jose

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:07 am

Thanks Julia you have more speed like the Cubex . You can see Fromlabs ?.
I like to know about this machine .
Jose

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:11 am

josejuako wrote:Thanks Julia you have more speed like the Cubex . You can see Fromlabs ?.
I like to know about this machine .
Jose
Yes! The Form One was on display, and it is much improved since I saw it at MakerFaire last year. The parts are much cleaner and smoother like you would expect of an SLA machine of this resolution - really nice. They also now have clear material in addition to gray. They say that more colors are coming...

julia

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:19 am

Do you thing to buy one from Formlabs?.
I thing in this machine but to day I wait to know more info about the hard results of do a big time print .

Jose

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:36 am

josejuako wrote:Do you thing to buy one from Formlabs?.
I thing in this machine but to day I wait to know more info about the hard results of do a big time print .

Jose
I'm not really in the market for a photopolymer printer right now - the build volume is too small and the materials choice is too limited. Looking more for a bigger build volume in FDM, so the candidates for me at the moment are Replicator 2X, Cubex, and Leapfrog. Fablicator would be a front-runner too, except that it seems they will never make the product. Eventorbot is a good design but it is for open-source hacker types and I prefer a complete turnkey product with integrated software like the Up.

julia
Last edited by JuliaDee on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:38 am

I find quality surface and speed , colors too .

Jose

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:45 am

But I feel the same like you I saw Cubex and the others I need to buy a other machine , I thinking in Formlabs but I don't sure , to day I put a lot of attention in the Replicator I like you .
Thanks for all Julia thanks very much .

Julia

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:52 am

Julia you have experience whit Makerbot ABS material?.

I use to day to me work very good and I have excellent experience whit it .

Very nice Julia .

Jose

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 am

I have not tried MakerBot ABS material. An industrial design company I work with ordered a Replicator 2X some time ago so when it arrives I will check it out firsthand. Meanwhile: good picture of Bre, awful picture of me :(
408762_576452962389145_776020125_n.jpg
408762_576452962389145_776020125_n.jpg (25.59 KiB) Viewed 20957 times

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:12 am

Very nice :lol:

Jose

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:16 am

Tu eres muy linda siempre lo he pensado , inteligente y muy atractiva .

Yo te quiero mucho y te aprecio .

Mil gracias por ser mi amiga .

José

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:22 am

josejuako wrote:Tu eres muy linda siempre lo he pensado , inteligente y muy atractiva .

Yo te quiero mucho y te aprecio .

Mil gracias por ser mi amiga .

José
Muchas gracias, amigo :)

hajime

Post by hajime » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:26 am

We have a very bad experience with the Replicator 2 (failed to extrude within the first two weeks and dead after that). So do many users who have been complaining the non-extruding issue on their user forum. So, am I right that the only problem with the UP! Plus is that the build area is small. Speed-wise it is faster than the CubeX. In terms of print quality, they are very similar but the CubeX is slightly better. Can I use color spray on the ABS models made by the UP! Plus? When you say the CubeX is slow, how slow it is compared with the UP! Plus? I know that printing in more than one color slows down the machine. How is the print quality of the Formula compared with that of the CubeX and UP! Plus?

hajime

Post by hajime » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:57 pm

Are there any differences between the ABS/PLA for the UP!Plus vs. those for the CubeX Trio? So far, it looks like although the UP!Plus is much cheaper than the CubeX Trio, besides the build volumn and multi-color printing, the UP!Plus beats the CubeX Trio.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 pm

I think the answer is an Up! with dual extruders and a larger build area - which does not exist yet but is destined to. Basically Up! and Cube both took the approach to make their machines easier to use for non tinkerers (and less configurable). That is fine and necessary to be usable by most people. But Cube went with media that costs 5x more, making it hard to recommend even if my company was buying the media.
Last edited by rsilvers on Fri May 03, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.