Z level initialisation and clunking

Talk about anything.
alistardean

Z level initialisation and clunking

Post by alistardean » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Folks.

Recently had to resolder a break in the platform heater cable (which needed a strip down of the platform and the axis cover). When reassembled, I get a clunking noise whenever it initialises (though the set-up wasn't moved at all). Now, when printing, each layer shifts by about 10-15mm across the platform (so only 3 layers on a biggish part's raft will print).

Any ideas what I've managed to screw up and how to fix it?

Cheers

Al

D3rax

Re: Z level initialisation and clunking

Post by D3rax » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:58 pm

That "clunk" during the initialisation is normal as far as I know (mine printer does this from day 1).

You should try and recalibrate by printing and measuring the z calibration print.
Up! Plus

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:41 pm

alistardean wrote:Folks.

Recently had to resolder a break in the platform heater cable (which needed a strip down of the platform and the axis cover). When reassembled, I get a clunking noise whenever it initialises (though the set-up wasn't moved at all). Now, when printing, each layer shifts by about 10-15mm across the platform (so only 3 layers on a biggish part's raft will print).

Any ideas what I've managed to screw up and how to fix it?

Cheers

Al
Okay, the clunk is NOT normal, nor is the shifting on each layer.

I'm going to guess something mechanical--taking apart the platform and replacing the heater cable is something I've probably done over a dozen times so far (the cable breaks on a fairly predictable schedule). Try opening it up again and checking all the screws and looking for any looseness.

I would especially check the screws on the clamp which clamps the platform to the belt. If that's loose it would probably exhibit this behavior.

LonV

Post by LonV » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:33 am

Yeah, the clunking should not happen. I had this problem too when I resoldered my cable...it turns out it was getting caught and causing the track to slip.

Just FYI, it continues to break in different locations...I think I repaired mine 5 times (after the period of a few days) until I got my replacement cable.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:51 pm

D3rax wrote:That "clunk" during the initialisation is normal as far as I know (mine printer does this from day 1).

Mine has always made a little "clunk" sound as well during the initializing sequence.

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:54 pm

mb20music wrote:
D3rax wrote:That "clunk" during the initialisation is normal as far as I know (mine printer does this from day 1).

Mine has always made a little "clunk" sound as well during the initializing sequence.
There will be a "click" as the limit switch engages, but it should be soft and sound like a switch. A "clunk" like something striking something else, should not happen.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:18 am

pleppik wrote:
mb20music wrote:

There will be a "click" as the limit switch engages, but it should be soft and sound like a switch. A "clunk" like something striking something else, should not happen.

I guess it is not really a "clunk". It is hard to describe. It will only make the sound when turning the power on and after pressing the initialize button on the machine itself. It doesn't make the sound if you initialize with the software. It kind of sounds like a solenoid or something. I will try get a video with audio and post it.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:31 am

That clunk is normal on the mini, all the steppers engaging at the same time.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Well normal or not my Up! Plus gives a clunk wjen I initialise. After the clunk the platform and the printerhead move to hit all the limit switches and then beeps to tell its ready.

When I de- initialise I all so hear a clunk right after the platform is lowered to the bottom.

I belive its somthing that grips on the platform lifting mechanism. When I cut off the power whitout de-initiase the platform drops down with a bang...So as far as I concern the clunk is nomal :geek:
Up! Plus