UP Studio 2.5 BETA Released, with Material Profile Manager

Talk about anything.
Tiertime-Joseph

UP Studio 2.5 BETA Released, with Material Profile Manager

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:01 am

Hi Folks,

We just released UP Studio 2.5 Beta, and the main feature is the Material Profile Manager (MPM), which allow users to tune the filament performance in detail.

You can download the software from our website, and the how-to document from here.

Questions here:
After this MPM feature is released, there is a new file format, FMD, created for import/export a material profile. How do you think of this feature? Will you use this feature to create filament profiles, or you prefer filament vendors do it? If you would like to create profiles, do you like the idea of sharing the FMD file with your fellow Tiertime 3D printer users? Do you think creating a FMD download page for sharing a good idea here?

Joseph

brunningm

Re: UP Studio 2.5 BETA Released, with Material Profile Manager

Post by brunningm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:36 am

Tiertime-Joseph wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:01 am
Hi Folks,

We just released UP Studio 2.5 Beta, and the main feature is the Material Profile Manager (MPM), which allow users to tune the filament performance in detail.

You can download the software from our website, and the how-to document from here.

Questions here:
After this MPM feature is released, there is a new file format, FMD, created for import/export a material profile. How do you think of this feature? Will you use this feature to create filament profiles, or you prefer filament vendors do it? If you would like to create profiles, do you like the idea of sharing the FMD file with your fellow Tiertime 3D printer users? Do you think creating a FMD download page for sharing a good idea here?

Joseph
I'm not going to lie, this is not something I've felt the need for with the filaments I've used, but having said that - I just noticed this on your tips&tricks page a s well

https://www.tiertime.com/comparison-for ... extruders/

Im still not sure how you're doing this...whether theres just a bunch of parts I can buy to convert my current extruder to the TPU version, or if theres some underlying major change as to how it works, but If people are going to print flexible materials they are going to need the control that this new MPM system appears to provide.

My personal needs extend to 'maybe' woodfill, but the current system does it perfectly fine - if only I could find somewhere to purchase a 0.5 or 0.6mm nozzle.

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi Brunningm,

Thank you for your input.

One direction that we are heading to is the industrial market, which opens up many possibilities using different materials with very distinctive properties by many vendors. Some of the materials can work without any tuning on Tiertime's machines, but majority of them need some work to make them perform perfectly. Obviously, it needs a lot of work, and we can not do it alone. We are signing up alliances with our partners everywhere to work together, which is why we provide this MPM.

However, we do not want to ignore the efforts made by our individual users, which was where my questions came from.

For the three extruders, basically, they work for different categories of filaments. The ABS extruder is for high-temperature filaments, PLA extruder is for low-temperature filaments, and TPU extruder is for flexible filaments. However, every filament is not made equally. There are more tunings for each filament if need perfect prints.

Joseph

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi all.

(1) I'm interested in company use of this. I'd like TT to work with filament vendors and release profiles for each material. I'd like to be able to modify those profiles to make them better if I can, but there should be a starting point for "supported" 3rd party suppliers.

(2) I'd like to make my own profiles from scratch for "unsupported" filaments and be able to submit my settings back into a global database, either for others to start from, or for TT to add to the official list.

(3) I'd like to print flexible filaments.

(4) If you'd just fit PWM fan control to your printers (as do most manufacturers, even of far cheaper machines) then you wouldn't need small and big fans for the different extruders!! You'd also have far better control over raft separation. Something that with ABS on your printers has been a nightmare for years.

(4) I'm looking forward to seeing your new machines at the UK TCT show, presuming they'll be ready?

Cheers,

Owen S.
Last edited by Owen Sparks aka Marksman on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:30 am

Hey Owen,

Good to see you back, and nice feedbacks as well.

We will explore more alliances with filament vendors, would also support fan based filament inputs.

Will see you at TCT, booth K44.

Joseph

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:52 am

Hi Joseph, excellent, I enjoyed our chat last year so look forward to seeing you again.

I'm very interested in the new machines for our company...

Cheers,

Owen S.

Soberman

Post by Soberman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:46 am

I have a two last version for OSX and Win

I printedat osx .

Load stl, preview print. 1.5H time.

Load this stl to upstudio Win - preview time -2.5 H!
Why? The same parameter.

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:34 am

Hi Soberman,

We also heard the report from other sources, and we are investigating.

The Windows version is the latest 2.5.12? what about Mac? The matching release for Mac will be released in a week or two.

Tell me more if you can share more information.

Thanks

Joseph

Neto

Post by Neto » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Following the link to the Mac App Store results in an error.
There is no UP Studio at the store.
Is there a way to d/l it?

Soberman

Post by Soberman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi. Today i have updated to 2.5.31.461 (Win)
For mac i have last vers too, but that 2.4.0 (without material editor)

Everything we could find out.
By creating your "material" we add a speed preset for its layer thickness.
Despite the fact that the names are different (normal, fast, turbo, etc) - all these presets are created with the same parameters, similar to slow.

http://take.ms/24DG2

And after run print with "turbo" I havу a 4hours print. at the same time on OSX vers Ihave a 2.5 h with" norman" mode.

Subtotal. To create your own material and your own preset, you need to carefully select the values of the parameters. And you need to understand what parameters that either mean.

Soberman

Post by Soberman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Neto wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:37 pm
Following the link to the Mac App Store results in an error.
There is no UP Studio at the store.
Is there a way to d/l it?
i downloaded from Tiertime site.

Nausved

Post by Nausved » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:40 am

Thank you so much for releasing Material Profile Manager! I have been having a lot of problems with rafts sticking to the print and ruining the print. But with Material Profile Manager, I am getting the best rafts I have EVER gotten from my printer by setting the Peel Ratio slider all the way to the left (to 'easy').

My only request: Please let us change the Peel Ratio even more. On my printer, it's still very hard to take the raft off of very large prints.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:37 am

Also what does "peel ratio" do?

In other software we'd control the temperature of the first model layer, and the separation distance between raft and print to get the desired effect.

Cheers,
Owen S,

Spider43

Post by Spider43 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:07 am

Hello,
These all sound like great features, but MAC users don't seem to be able to take advantage of them.
The current version 2.5.1, just a few weeks old, does not allow users to edit the material settings, despite saying so in the description. The attached image is what we see.

Our school has 16 Up printers, which are sitting idle because we cannot use the filament we have purchased because it doesn't match the presets provided; and we cannot edit them.

Could you confirm:
1. Is the Material Manager feature is available in the Mac 2.5.1 version? Please provide instructions on how to access it.
2. If it is not available, please provide a link to an executable file of the previous version of Up Studio that did provide this version. Since the file has been downloaded through the Apple App store, we cannot access previous versions. Your download page only provides LKD files of previous versions? what is an LKD file those? how do we install them? https://www.tiertime.com/downloads/soft ... 50a1f-f3c4
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.03.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.03.46 PM.png (366.18 KiB) Viewed 6642 times

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Hello,

The Mac release does not have MPM for now, and it would be a workaround if it is possible to have a Windows define a profile, and import it to Mac for now.

For previous Mac release:
https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/up3d ... V2.4.0.pkg

Please be aware, the previous Mac release DOES NOT work for the new machines, including mini2 ES, UP300, and X5. It supports the following models:UP Plus, UP Plus 2, UP mini, UP mini 2, UP BOX, UP BOX+, Cetus

Joseph

JosepM

Post by JosepM » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi,

When will be available MPM for macosx?

Salut,
Josep M

JosepM

Post by JosepM » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:57 pm

The Up Studio 2.4 show "please activate" all the time when I try to print with customized materials.

It's a disaster. Now the 2.5 don't have the materials and the 2.4 don't work.
Yes, I reinstalled many many times.

Can you help me?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:16 pm

OK, we're having huge problems with Studio at the moment so I'm doing a clean install on a machine that has never seem TT software before, and am currently running a test print.

So, whilst it's printing I thought I'd look at the new material profile manager. OH dear, you can't access it when the machine is printing. :roll: I'd not installed this version on my PC, as it's the only one that works at the moment and now this. Come on Tiertime this isn't good enough! What if we had a 2 day print underway? Unplug the USB so we can see the manager?

Cheers,
Owen S.

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:01 am

@JosepM,

Go to https://www.tiertime.com/downloads/software/, find the LKD File for MAC V x.x.x.x.

Open UP Studio, choose Activate, and then load the LKD file.

@Marksman

A little trick here. Go find the MatDef.exe under the UP Studio installation Directory.

Joseph

lichtfaenger

Post by lichtfaenger » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 am

Yes - I would like if we can share the different material profiles. It´s not necessary to invent the wheel again.
So what if we start a new board with material profiles?
Paul