PLA printing problem [SOLVED]

Talk about anything.
outsider

PLA printing problem [SOLVED]

Post by outsider » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Until very recently I've exclusively been printing with ABS on my Up Plus 2.
The other week I bought some PLA and got a few nice prints, but last night problems started.
With PLA, the printer will print a random amount of layers, then the filament stops coming through the nozzle. Once it stops extruding, I can hear the filament drive trying to feed the plastic, but there's a tick, tick, tick, tick, sound coming from the extruder.
The X,Y,Z motion continues, but since no more plastic comes out, there's no print.
I have to "Withdraw" and the then "Extrude" from the Maintenance Panel to get the filament to flow again through the hot end.

Anyone else experience this and have some advice on how to reliably print with PLA?
Last edited by outsider on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrian.
My Blog

tel

Re: PLA printing problem

Post by tel » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:04 pm

I have had similar issues on the UP Box with PLA. I have found that an oiler fixes the problem for some PLA, some others I can print only on fine mode and some filaments I haven't been able to print at all with. I'm assuming you are trying to use 3rd party PLA. I haven't had a problem with the UP Filament or the Polyplus/Polymax, but most others I find I have to play around with a bit to get them working and some just don't work at all.

outsider

Post by outsider » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:02 pm

I added an oiler.
Really just a small piece of sponge with a hole in it, impregnated with olive oil, just before the filament enters the extruder.
Completed a 22 hour print with no problem.
adrian.
My Blog

sanzana

Re: PLA printing problem [SOLVED]

Post by sanzana » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:26 am

The easiest solution is to use a heated print platform and to set the temperature to a point just below the plastics melting point. This is called the “glass transition temperature”. If you get that temperature right then the first layer will stay flat on the print platform. The printer platform temperature is often set by the slicer software. You’ll normally find the recommended temperature for your filament printed on the side of the packaging or on the spool. Its also solve PLA printing problem

James

Post by James » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:39 pm

outsider wrote:I added an oiler.
Really just a small piece of sponge with a hole in it, impregnated with olive oil, just before the filament enters the extruder.
Completed a 22 hour print with no problem.
OMG! That worked... I was screwing with this all day and after rejecting this idea as stupid out of hand, starting thinking about it and decided to try it as a last ditch crazy "hail mary" pass. And it works! Of course... I'm posting this before the print is finished (because the Fates totally get off on my tempting them) but the improvement is obvious at this point.

I cut off a chunk of standard yellow kitchen "sponge" about 2" long and maybe 1/2" square, then drilled a hole down it lengthwise. To be a little bit neater, I put the sponge in a large diameter clear heatshrink tube and torched it before filling with oil.

Best thing? The place smells like an Italian restaurant now! LOL.