How to make smooth surface

Talk about anything.
uplus2user

How to make smooth surface

Post by uplus2user » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Hello, I am using a a Stratasys uPrint SE Plus 3D printer. I tried to make a smooth curved surface but in both trials, I failed. The one on the left had support at the bottom (curved surface at the top during printing) while the one on the right (the shorter one due to earlier termination) was made upside down. That is, the curved surface was touching the support material. Is there any way to make the curved surface smooth? Is there a way to remove the strange lines. Stratasys mentioned that the pitch resolution is 0.254mm and as a result, there is not improvement in making the surface smooth. Do you guys have a way to make the surface smooth? Any way to remove the strange vertical lines? Also, Stratasys mentioned that the verticle lines were made due to starting and ending points. Any way to fix this issue? Thanks.

P.S. Why can't I upload a jpg file?

chang

Re: How to make smooth surface

Post by chang » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:03 pm

I think this is a UP 3D printer forum, not for Stratasys.
If Stratasys can not help you, consider to buy a professional UP printer ;)

uplus2user

Post by uplus2user » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:53 pm

chang wrote:I think this is a UP 3D printer forum, not for Stratasys.
If Stratasys can not help you, consider to buy a professional UP printer ;)
What would up users do to make the surface smooth in such case?

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:46 pm

The UPrint can only print as low as 0.254 mm per layer, the Z height. That is fairly coarse when you print something with a curve in the Z direction (height). The lines you see is called staircasing, if you print thinner layers (0.1 mm minimum Up Box, 0.15 mm Up Plus 2 and 0.2 mm Up Mini) this will become less apparent. If you don't buy the next 6 rolls or so of Stratasys heavily overpriced chipped filament you can buy an Up Box ;)

Other ways (if you keep printing with uPrint) are manually sanding the model, smoothing with acetone or reorienting the model so curved features are printed differently..

uplus2user

Post by uplus2user » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:59 am

pp3dp.nl wrote:The UPrint can only print as low as 0.254 mm per layer, the Z height. That is fairly coarse when you print something with a curve in the Z direction (height). The lines you see is called staircasing, if you print thinner layers (0.1 mm minimum Up Box, 0.15 mm Up Plus 2 and 0.2 mm Up Mini) this will become less apparent. If you don't buy the next 6 rolls or so of Stratasys heavily overpriced chipped filament you can buy an Up Box ;)

Other ways (if you keep printing with uPrint) are manually sanding the model, smoothing with acetone or reorienting the model so curved features are printed differently..
Thanks for the advice. I use the uPrint SE Plus at school. It seems that the new Up Box has very similar build volume with higher resolution in the Z direction. Anybody succeeded in printing small and large curved surfaces using this new printer? In all You Tube video, I don't see the printer actually printing something...

Speaking of sanding the model, smoothing with acetone or reorienting the model... What types/grades of sand papers do you recommend? What are the advantages/disadvantages of sanding vs. using acetone? I guess the latter produces shinny looking surfaces.

I turned the model by 90 degrees and re-printed it. The curved surface looks nice now but the cylinder edge looks ugly. There are several (now called horizontal lines).

gordon37

Post by gordon37 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:30 am

uplus2user wrote:
pp3dp.nl wrote:The UPrint can only print as low as 0.254 mm per layer, the Z height. That is fairly coarse when you print something with a curve in the Z direction (height). The lines you see is called staircasing, if you print thinner layers (0.1 mm minimum Up Box, 0.15 mm Up Plus 2 and 0.2 mm Up Mini) this will become less apparent. If you don't buy the next 6 rolls or so of Stratasys heavily overpriced chipped filament you can buy an Up Box ;)

Thanks for the advice. I use the uPrint SE Plus at school. It seems that the new Up Box has very similar build volume with higher resolution in the Z direction. Anybody succeeded in printing small and large curved surfaces using this new printer? In all You Tube video, I don't see the printer actually printing something...

Speaking of sanding the model, smoothing with acetone or reorienting the model... What types/grades of sand papers do you recommend? What are the advantages/disadvantages of sanding vs. using acetone? I guess the latter produces shinny looking surfaces.

I turned the model by 90 degrees and re-printed it. The curved surface looks nice now but the cylinder edge looks ugly. There are several (now called horizontal lines).
google/youtube Cold Acetone Vapor

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:11 am

Using spray putty is also a common choice.

uplus2user

Post by uplus2user » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:17 pm

roller wrote:Using spray putty is also a common choice.
Is it safer than acetone? How is the quality of the printout? I want shinning looking in some cases like plastic made commercial products and in other cases like metal.