Size of cap for tight fitting

Talk about anything.
uplus2user

Size of cap for tight fitting

Post by uplus2user » Mon May 18, 2015 11:02 pm

Hello, I want to use 3D printer to make cap for a cylinder pipe and a box. Nothing fancy. Just circular cap for a pipe and square cap for the box. If the diameter of the pipe is x mm, what is best diameter (x+0.5mm? x+1mm? x+1.5mm?, x+2mm, etc.) for the cap to make sure that it fits tightly? I suppose if I make a cap of x mm diameter, it won't fit the pipe. Similarly, if the opening of the box is A x B mm, what is the best size for the cap? e.g. A+1mm x B+ 1mm? Thanks

mb20music

Re: Size of cap for tight fitting

Post by mb20music » Tue May 19, 2015 4:46 am

Try around .15-.20 larger, for example if the pipe outer diameter is 10mm, make the inner diameter of the cap 10.15mm to 10.20mm

uplus2user

Post by uplus2user » Tue May 19, 2015 6:45 am

Thanks.

Alexkara

Post by Alexkara » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:31 am

Post a tad late, however, it may help in the furture. Usually when printing to specific dimensions, eg. circular infill/outfill (like your lids), I usually print from 1mm to 3mm "cut" of the "tube", test for fit and readjust/print/test till I'm happy. When the fit is what I want I then print the full model. Unless the shape is weird and you have a dodgy printer the full model should reflect the dimensions (minus height) of the test. This way you can sneak up to the optimum size without wasting too much filament. The decision on what to pick from 1-3mm depends on the desired tolerance. For a really tight fit 1mm may break distort too easily (and harder to handle) than say a 2 or 3mm test. I use SketchUp to design and I always print off a section cut (1-3mm) until I'm happy with all dimensions before a full print. Cheers, Alex
There are two ways of doing things... My way or the right way!