Thinking of selling my UP printers & buying a larger printer

Talk about anything.
Carnivore

Thinking of selling my UP printers & buying a larger printer

Post by Carnivore » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Last edited by Carnivore on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

teamcarlisle

Re: Thinking of selling my UP printers & buying a larger pri

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:38 pm

Direct drive extruders have nothing to do with pla printing problems.... replicators and their clones are direct drive extruders too. You might want to do more homework before you buy anything.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:05 pm

teamcarlisle wrote:Direct drive extruders have nothing to do with pla printing problems.... replicators and their clones are direct drive extruders too. You might want to do more homework before you buy anything.
Direct drive extruders are a huge factor in successful PLA printing. It's just that most repraps dial back the current to the extruder so the motor doesn't get to hot - The Up doesn't. There are other factor too such as filament path, thermal management of the hotend etc. I have absolutely zero problems on all my indirect drive with no need for a fan. The directs need cooling and/or dialled back torque or they occassionally jam no matter how good the filament path and hotend are. This is becoming less of a problem as more and more printers come with clones of known good deisgns that are cooled well and hold in less heat through their feeder design.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:28 am

I was thinking about getting a CTC 3d printer which is a Flashforge Creator clone which that is a clone of the Makerbot Replicator 1? I hear these things can print play really well with a build platform of 8x5x5

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:04 pm

I am currently building this : http://www.instructables.com/id/Mega-Pr ... /?ALLSTEPS

If you are up to a challenge, parts price would be around 300, probably without the laser-cut frame. I will mill this on one of the cnc's at work, but I understand not everyone has access to one.

I am currently waiting for more parts (around 90% ordered), and will mill the frame some day next week. The Y-axis is 80% finished!
IMG_1348.jpg
IMG_1348.jpg (248.8 KiB) Viewed 10953 times
If you think about building this, I'd suggest keeping the UP! as it's reliability with OEM filament will come in handy some day...
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:43 am

Carnivore wrote:I was thinking about getting a CTC 3d printer which is a Flashforge Creator clone which that is a clone of the Makerbot Replicator 1? I hear these things can print play really well with a build platform of 8x5x5
Whatever you decide I'd recommend you leave room in your budget for Simplify3D. I've actually added an XYZ Da Vinci to my pool of printers because I needed another larger volume printer in a hurry. I've built a lot of printers and I wouldn't say the Da Vinci is great but it's a decent collection of parts already working. Sure it's not brilliant finish quality on prints (due to printer build weakeness) but I figured I will just mod this into a great printer and at least the enclosure is already done and it is supported straight up by Simplify3D.

I wouldn't mind a Flashforge creator myself. Not sure I would go with a clone though as I don't expect it to be much better than a Da Vinci ... I'd love to be proved wrong and would soon buy the same myself if your findings are good.

Stormychel, good luck with the Mega Prusa i3 ... I hate big printers for the battles they have presented in the past but I've never used lasercut parts so that might make your life easier. I do hope it's kind to you. In the end my big printers never get used much just because the build times are so long they become impractical. Of course if I threw a 1mm nozzle on one it would be better but clients never want this kind of thing.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:07 pm

roller wrote:
Carnivore wrote:I was thinking about getting a CTC 3d printer which is a Flashforge Creator clone which that is a clone of the Makerbot Replicator 1? I hear these things can print play really well with a build platform of 8x5x5
Whatever you decide I'd recommend you leave room in your budget for Simplify3D. I've actually added an XYZ Da Vinci to my pool of printers because I needed another larger volume printer in a hurry. I've built a lot of printers and I wouldn't say the Da Vinci is great but it's a decent collection of parts already working. Sure it's not brilliant finish quality on prints (due to printer build weakeness) but I figured I will just mod this into a great printer and at least the enclosure is already done and it is supported straight up by Simplify3D.

I wouldn't mind a Flashforge creator myself. Not sure I would go with a clone though as I don't expect it to be much better than a Da Vinci ... I'd love to be proved wrong and would soon buy the same myself if your findings are good.

Stormychel, good luck with the Mega Prusa i3 ... I hate big printers for the battles they have presented in the past but I've never used lasercut parts so that might make your life easier. I do hope it's kind to you. In the end my big printers never get used much just because the build times are so long they become impractical. Of course if I threw a 1mm nozzle on one it would be better but clients never want this kind of thing.
Yes I realise that it won't be as reliable as my UP!, but it's more of a hobby and research project, and the big volume gives me much space to experiment. I will give it a heated build chamber and forced cooling of the cold end. I agree with print times that will probably be very long, and all the stuff that can go wrong in a large print. I am very happy with the up the at its dialed in now, but large, especially long and flat parts is something that can't be done on it. I can't / don't want to spend so much on a large commercial printer, so this thing is a nice alternative :)
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:25 pm

Go a big nozzle diameter if you can live with it - it will greatly improve print times.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:51 pm

roller wrote:Go a big nozzle diameter if you can live with it - it will greatly improve print times.
Does 1mm work well with 1,75 spools or would 3mm be better?
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:54 am

It actually depends a little bit on your extruder design but for direct drive extruders 1.75mm will be fine. I've only ever dabbled in 1.75mm filament.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:13 pm

Ok :) I prefer 1,75 myself because it also works for the UP!...
@stormychel

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:25 am

roller wrote:

There's a couple users who say they have the same prints as a Makerbot Replicator 2x. There's 2 mods that I would need to do it to achieve that level print: Y-axis barring mounts and additional fan to cool the PLA.