Using PLA on 3D UP

Talk about anything.
John@scotch

Using PLA on 3D UP

Post by John@scotch » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:37 pm

I have been using ABS only on our machine until recently I ran out. I decided to try PLA. I configured the UP machine for PLA and commanded it to extrude.
It heated the nozzel to 210C but nothing else happen. No beep when it reached temperature and does not advance the material into the nozzel. Is this a software bug?
If I change it back to ABS to works ok. Of course it's to hot for PLA so I can't use it in this mode.
Has anyone come across is problem?
regards

pp3dp.nl

Re: Using PLA on 3D UP

Post by pp3dp.nl » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Maybe first flush out the ABS in the nozzle by inserting PLA, I always extrude PLA about 3 times (Extrude command in Maintenance) on ABS temperature. Then set the software to PLA and hit extrude once.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:57 pm

Are you using the OEM Up! PLA or an aftermarket PLA? You most likely need to do some extruder motor cooling mods if using aftermarket PLA, You can do a search on here for more info.

If you are using the OEM PLA then you should not need any cooling mod.

John@scotch

Post by John@scotch » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:35 am

The problem is that the machine doesn't even try to feed it when set for PLA. Won't even try to print a model. If I change the setting to ABS without changing the material It feeds ok. Of course it's too hot for PLA on this setting.
Has anyone used PLA on the first gerneration of UP!