Looking for simple STL file combining solution

Talk about anything.
Post Reply
ming
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:06 am
Location: Georgia USA

Looking for simple STL file combining solution

Post by ming » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 am

I have come to a point where I am using several software to generate different STLs and i am now looking for a simple STL file manipulator
Combine two (prefer more) STLs into one file so i can 3dprint it

I have not tried using the UP software (crude and approx method)
I rather use a more precise and repeatable format.

Thanks in advance


p.s. I have used meshlab and because my knowledge of it as a beginner im not able to easily acheive the desired outcome.
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Looking for simple STL file combining solution

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:54 am

TinkerCad can import STL's, and once imported they can be easily scaled in X, Y, or Z and combined with other shapes with boolean operations. Just drag a ruler onto the workplane and you get dimensions, which translate accurately to printed output.

ming
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:06 am
Location: Georgia USA

Re: Looking for simple STL file combining solution

Post by ming » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:13 pm

JuliaDee wrote:TinkerCad can import STL's, and once imported they can be easily scaled in X, Y, or Z and combined with other shapes with boolean operations. Just drag a ruler onto the workplane and you get dimensions, which translate accurately to printed output.
Thanks for the lead and info
I will try that out

But still looking for a standalone option (software)
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

amd-tec
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 am
Contact:

Re: Looking for simple STL file combining solution

Post by amd-tec » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:40 pm

ming wrote:
JuliaDee wrote:TinkerCad can import STL's, and once imported they can be easily scaled in X, Y, or Z and combined with other shapes with boolean operations. Just drag a ruler onto the workplane and you get dimensions, which translate accurately to printed output.
Thanks for the lead and info
I will try that out

But still looking for a standalone option (software)
Have you looked DesignSpark Mechanical?
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Looking for simple STL file combining solution

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:11 pm

Design Spark can import STL's but I don't think it can edit/modify them.

ming
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:06 am
Location: Georgia USA

Re: Looking for simple STL file combining solution

Post by ming » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:15 am

Tinkercad was able to do what i was trying to achieve adding two STL (with certain alignment points built it for accuracy) - to make one part (STL)
I have not been able to see if it can subtract.
ANSWER: Yes it has subtract (primitive) Hole = Square & round

Thanks for all the inputs and guidance
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Looking for simple STL file combining solution

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:17 am

Actually any shape or combination of shapes can be made into a "hole" for boolean subtraction, not just round and square. "Hole" is also very useful for transparency to see through and inside objects and to detect interference between parts.

Glad you were able to achieve what you needed.

ming
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:06 am
Location: Georgia USA

Re: Looking for simple STL file combining solution

Post by ming » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:40 pm

JuliaDee wrote:Actually any shape or combination of shapes can be made into a "hole" for boolean subtraction, not just round and square. "Hole" is also very useful for transparency to see through and inside objects and to detect interference between parts.

Glad you were able to achieve what you needed.

Thanks Julia
YOu created an addiction, im starting to create a library of STL for importing to ThinkerCad so i can create items im planning to as gifts
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

stormychel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Looking for simple STL file combining solution

Post by stormychel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:32 pm

http://www.netfabb.com

Weird interface, very powerful, especially for fixing models (free).

Expensive when you want boolean operations, but probably worth it.
@stormychel

Post Reply