HIPS filament experience

Talk about anything.
stormychel

HIPS filament experience

Post by stormychel » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:46 am

Hi,

my new spool of Silver HIPS 1.75mm filament from 123inkt.nl came in today.

Does anyone else have any experience with HIPS on the UP!?

I'm doing a first test, a Xmas tree ornament in the shape of a snowflake.

The label on the spool says 230-260° C, but I'm testing at 230° first. It is printing now and extrudes well. The smell is better than ABS and PLA.

Will post a pic when the part is finished, and IF I get the raft off :)
@stormychel

stormychel

Re: HIPS filament experience

Post by stormychel » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:09 am

The print is done and went well. It was a short print (14 minutes), so although I turned off my 2 extra extruder cooler fans, I don't know if it's prone to jamming because of hot feeder gear. I will print a bigger print if I find a purpose to do so.

Raft removal went ok, it was a little brittle so came off in a few parts, but did not leave any unremovable residue so I don't think I am printing too hot.

The printed lines are cleary visible, so I might try printing at 240° to see if the lines blend a little better.

Strength is pretty good, I can bend the tips from the flake so they touch each other without the feel that they are going to break.

So far I am very optimistic about this material, I hope larger prints don't bring any problems to light.

Will post more prints here in the future.
IMG_0120.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg (243.96 KiB) Viewed 17906 times
@stormychel

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:28 pm

Ok so HIPS has failed for the first time on a +2 hour print. Same symptoms as PLA, feeder stripping because of excessive heat in stepper gear. Will try the print again with stepper fans turned on + top case heat plug removed.
@stormychel

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:37 am

Might be talking to the walls here :p but some day, someone will search this forum for HIPS and find this :)

Second +2 hour test with HIPS went well, no more jamming because I activated the extruder cooler fans. Happy.

This stuff shows much less warping than ABS, the tradeoff is strength is 70% of well-printed ABS. That is acceptable, depending on what you print.
@stormychel

Munezqwet

Post by Munezqwet » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:48 am

The experience gained from this site useful and it is very valuable. It allows me to bring these experiences to use in everyday life

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 pm

Munezqwet wrote:The experience gained from this site useful and it is very valuable. It allows me to bring these experiences to use in everyday life
Yep, this forum was really a quick-course on how to get the most out of my Mini.

Here is something more about HIPS from Formfutura (edited, posted a wrong link before) : http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/12/0 ... 2BFacebook

direct link -> http://www.formfutura.com/easyfil-hips/
Last edited by stormychel on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
@stormychel

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:30 am

You might be talking to the walls, but sometimes the walls have ears :) Thanks for sharing!

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 am

JuliaDee wrote:You might be talking to the walls, but sometimes the walls have ears :) Thanks for sharing!
:) true
@stormychel

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:19 am

Lol totally posted the wrong link about HIPS... should be this URL : http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/12/0 ... 2BFacebook

direct link http://www.formfutura.com/easyfil-hips/
@stormychel

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:49 pm

This is a leg for a quadcopter, in light blue HIPS. Printed at ABS-50°, adheres perfectly to a glue-stick layer. I am falling in love with this material!
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (231.97 KiB) Viewed 17372 times
@stormychel

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Awesome!

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:03 pm

JuliaDee wrote:Awesome!
Tnx, feels very strong too... Printed 'loose' at 0.20mm layer height.
@stormychel

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Although the 3 first ones printed *flawlessly*, the 4th one had some warping and splitting... Go figure...

Washed all glue off my perfboards, and gave them 1 layer of hairspray, and printed again this time with a towel over the printer (Mini).

Flawless print again. That's an 80% success rate, on large parts. Happy.
@stormychel

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Z-HIPS is just starting to find its way into the hands of users, should be interesting. I won't be able to test it myself until after New Year.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:43 pm

I hope you will like it as much as I do.

It fits perfectly between PLA and ABS, combining the good points of both... It is also a little less brittle than PLA, and a little harder than ABS.

I like the nice clean edges it produces too.

This is not printed on a stock Mini though. Changes :

- temp mod (setting is ABS-50°)
- heat bed modded with 80° thermal switch
- 3 fans on the extruder

I might try printing with my other, unmodified (fans) print head some day, and see how that works, but I don't think it needs the extra fans...
FullSizeRender-1xs.jpg
FullSizeRender-1xs.jpg (243.13 KiB) Viewed 17343 times
@stormychel

Krosnyak

Post by Krosnyak » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi uppers, I am an Afiniac!
I am working thru my first roll of HIPS, and yes I agree it works great. I am using "cool gray" from prototype supply that is esun Chinese filament rebranded for USA. Bought at Amazon.com. It is cheap, but it seems to be of great quality, I have had no warping and no lifting off the platform, I print on a sheet of PEI. I will receive my second roll tonight, it's dark red. The parts look good, finish is satin not glossy and not totally matte like abs. Raft removal is ok, printed from stock 260 down to 235 with no issues.
It has become with ZABS from Zortrax and PolyPlus PLA from Polymakr the 3rd go to material to print with the Afinia.
Cheers!

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Thu May 14, 2015 9:32 am

Krosnyak wrote:Hi uppers, I am an Afiniac!
I am working thru my first roll of HIPS, and yes I agree it works great. I am using "cool gray" from prototype supply that is esun Chinese filament rebranded for USA. Bought at Amazon.com. It is cheap, but it seems to be of great quality, I have had no warping and no lifting off the platform, I print on a sheet of PEI. I will receive my second roll tonight, it's dark red. The parts look good, finish is satin not glossy and not totally matte like abs. Raft removal is ok, printed from stock 260 down to 235 with no issues.
It has become with ZABS from Zortrax and PolyPlus PLA from Polymakr the 3rd go to material to print with the Afinia.
Cheers!
Nice to hear from someone else who likes the stuff :)
@stormychel