Bronzefill

Talk about anything.
Bindw

Bronzefill

Post by Bindw » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:28 am

I cracked open my recent delivery of Bronze fill today and got all excited and ready to print on my Up Plus. I couldn't get it to print- it would extrude OK in to the air, but the nozzel blocked when printing. I couldn't even get the first layer down- I tried a few layer heights- Nup! Unfortunatly I fried my temp mod last week so am working with factory temp management settings, so its either PLA or ABS settings- neither worked. Has anyone had any luck with Bronze fill?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

stormychel

Re: Bronzefill

Post by stormychel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Can't you make a quick temporary temp mod? Really all you need is a JST-XH 3S extension wire and a couple of resistors...

12 ohm = -32°

Looking at the print head, you need to cut the 1st blue wire (3rd one from the left) and put a resistor between it.

If you can't do it let me know, I have 2 temp mods in stock, would also be glad to just send you the wire and some resistors for a cheap quick fix.

Don't have any experience with the bronzefill though, but if it's not extruding you probably need a higher temperature.
@stormychel

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:22 pm

I believe you just would need an extruder cooling mod as you would with printing PLA. Your factory PLA setting should work provided you have an extruder cooling mod. I have a 50mm fan cooling my extruder on my UP! Plus which allows me to use PLA filament

According to the ColorFabb website, the maker of bronzeFill, the recommended temperature is 195-210 celcius for bronzefill filament which is the same recommended temperature for most PLA filament.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:46 pm

You need 220C to extrude bronzefill.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:18 am

wilsonj wrote:You need 220C to extrude bronzefill.
That means more like 14.8ohms is the sweet spot (15 should be fine) since Jamie wold know.

Bindw

Post by Bindw » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:29 am

stormychel wrote:Can't you make a quick temporary temp mod? Really all you need is a JST-XH 3S extension wire and a couple of resistors...

12 ohm = -32°

Looking at the print head, you need to cut the 1st blue wire (3rd one from the left) and put a resistor between it.

If you can't do it let me know, I have 2 temp mods in stock, would also be glad to just send you the wire and some resistors for a cheap quick fix.

Don't have any experience with the bronzefill though, but if it's not extruding you probably need a higher temperature.
Thanks for the advice stormychel. I'm not confident about cutting any wires and don't really know what a resistor is! So i have ordered a new temp mod from my favorite supplier and will wait til that arrives to try again.
:)

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:41 pm

Bindw wrote:
stormychel wrote:Can't you make a quick temporary temp mod? Really all you need is a JST-XH 3S extension wire and a couple of resistors...

12 ohm = -32°

Thanks for the advice stormychel. I'm not confident about cutting any wires and don't really know what a resistor is! So i have ordered a new temp mod from my favorite supplier and will wait til that arrives to try again.
:)
Np :) Good idea to order a new one then! I'm an Arduino hobbyist so know my way around resistors and wires, but I'm also a little hesitant to cut wires of something I still need... ;)
@stormychel

oklok

Post by oklok » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:47 am

Since bronzeFill is an PLA based filament I think you should print it and treat it as PLA, but with around 5 degree lower in melting point.
http://www.3dfilamenta.com - Market space for 3D Printing; Sell and Buy!

oklok

Post by oklok » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 am

Also:
Try add some oil on the filament first 1 cm tip when feeding it into the extruder to make it go more easier.

If above do not work try to add a fan blowing on the nozzle. Jam can occur if filament stay to long in the nozzle and build friction up into the extruder.
http://www.3dfilamenta.com - Market space for 3D Printing; Sell and Buy!

roller

Post by roller » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:22 am

oklok wrote:Also:
Try add some oil on the filament first 1 cm tip when feeding it into the extruder to make it go more easier.

If above do not work try to add a fan blowing on the nozzle. Jam can occur if filament stay to long in the nozzle and build friction up into the extruder.
Big mistake. First if your are feeding your filament into a mechanism that NEEDS FRICTION to work well ... you should keep lube well away from your extruder gear. Second, the wrong oils may end up adding to carbon deposits in the heat chamber, eventually resulting in a jam. Third, it's simply not oging to achieve anything positive ... if your filament need lube to slip in well you have issues and you need to reprint your extruder housing or get filament so oversized.

Wilsonj should be considered some of the best advice on the temp since he sells the stuff and is very responsive to user feedback as well as testing filaments himself.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:37 am

roller wrote:
oklok wrote:Also:

Big mistake. First if your are feeding your filament into a mechanism that NEEDS FRICTION to work well ... you should keep lube well away from your extruder gear. Second, the wrong oils may end up adding to carbon deposits in the heat chamber, eventually resulting in a jam. Third, it's simply not oging to achieve anything positive ... if your filament need lube to slip in well you have issues and you need to reprint your extruder housing or get filament so oversized.

Wilsonj should be considered some of the best advice on the temp since he sells the stuff and is very responsive to user feedback as well as testing filaments himself.
Was thinking the same when reading about the lube... we need that friction.

For stuff like this, a parallel resistor setup would be nice, to increase temperature from the PLA setting. I know you prefer PLA on the ABS setting, roller, but I don't want raft/support that's harder to remove...

Need to order bronzefill, like the look, and it sounds like a new challenge :mrgreen:
@stormychel

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Have any of you considered the effects of running what could be called an abrasive material through your soft brass nozzle?
Bet there will be some need for replacement nozzles in your futures!

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:23 am

stormychel wrote: For stuff like this, a parallel resistor setup would be nice, to increase temperature from the PLA setting. I know you prefer PLA on the ABS setting, roller, but I don't want raft/support that's harder to remove...

Need to order bronzefill, like the look, and it sounds like a new challenge :mrgreen:
It's usually not harder to remove - overall my prints are better. That said there is one other user who always chimes in about the old versions of software being better and PLA ... and i think PLA settings have been improved in recent versions but I found the ABS settings produced better print quality for my prints. The support removal was similar and moderated by the temp mod.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:54 am

roller : ok, need to print a few copies of a large PLA print today, will try one on PLA-10 and one on ABS-60, so I can see the difference
drew : this worries me too, not the nozzle because it is easy to replace, but the feeder tube...
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Size variation an wear in the nozzle can cause degradation in your prints. The feed tube wear will cause no noticably degradation until you wear through ... that would take a lot of printing. The slight widening of the tube would only negligibly increase the hysteresis of the filament as it buckle ever so slightly more.