UP! Premium Filament has changed?

Talk about anything.
yeahtuna

UP! Premium Filament has changed?

Post by yeahtuna » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Anyone notice this? The UP! premium filament is now packaged in a new box. It seems that the properties of the filament have changed as well. It's now quite glossy, and support structures are nearly impossible to remove.

Regards,
Rob

roller

Re: UP! Premium Filament has changed?

Post by roller » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:02 am

Did we have this discussion already? Anyway, if it's boxed different, looks different and is hard to remove support it is certainly not genuine OEM filament. Hard support removal means it is being used too hot ... just like you would experience using regular generic ABS. I think you've been misled by the seller.

woofy

Post by woofy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:52 am

UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

yeahtuna

Post by yeahtuna » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks for your input. I think you are right. I think I'm being sold fake filament. I'm buying it from the official local distributor. I would like to source it from pp3dp.com but they don't offer shipping to my area. I'm looking for alternative high quality filament. Any suggestions? Has anyone used 3d2print?
Last edited by yeahtuna on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeahtuna

Post by yeahtuna » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:13 pm

roller wrote: if it's boxed different, looks different and is hard to remove support it is certainly not genuine OEM filament. Hard support removal means it is being used too hot ... just like you would experience using regular generic ABS. I think you've been misled by the seller.
This is precisely why I'm asking. I think I'm being sold fake filament. It's really troubling because the seller is the official PP3DP distributor for Taiwan. The most frustrating thing is that I'm unable to order from the PP3DP website as they don't allow me to select Taiwan as a location to ship to. It seems that I have no alternative but to buy a different kind of filament.

On that note, can you suggest any get alternatives? The closest match I can find for me needs (high quality and non-glossy) is 3D2print. Do you or anyone else have any experience with this filament on an UP! / Afinia?

Regards,
Rob

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:43 am

yeahtuna wrote:Thanks for your input. I think you are right. I think I'm being sold fake filament. I'm buying it from the official Taiwan Distributor. I would like to source is from pp3dp.com but they don't offer shipping to Taiwan. I'm looking for alternative high quality filament. Any suggestions? Has anyone used 3d2print?
People here say Colorfabb is a decent replacement : http://colorfabb.com/ (did not try it myself though, I use the cheapest stuff I can find and mod the printer to be able to use it).

This website offers the genuine stuff at a decent price, and ship the same day : http://www.printabout.nl/filamenten/ , they helped me out with ordering a stock fan as well, and very fast.
@stormychel

yeahtuna

Post by yeahtuna » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:39 am

I managed to get ahold of pp3dp and they had this to say:
TierTIme wrote:Alright, Tiertime didn't reformulate the filament. I think the filament which you met the issue is the new filament with the SKU C-03-xx. This is a new product from Tiertime. It is stronger and has better performance than the original ABS filament. It can be used in some special field.

As the new filament is stronger and harder, the support is not as easy as the original filament to remove.
I find it shocking that this new product is packaged and labeled exactly same as the C-01-xx products. From my experience, while this 'new' might be stronger, it looks, feels and prints like generic filament and certainly is not worth its 'premium' price. It appears that there is no way to chose to get this 'new' or the 'original' product from the pp3dp website. The SKU G03 seems to indicate that the original filament has been discontinued. I've requested more information in this regard and will post an update if I get a reply.

Regards,
Rob

yeahtuna

Post by yeahtuna » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:40 am

I managed to get ahold of pp3dp and they had this to say:
TierTIme wrote:Alright, Tiertime didn't reformulate the filament. I think the filament which you met the issue is the new filament with the SKU C-03-xx. This is a new product from Tiertime. It is stronger and has better performance than the original ABS filament. It can be used in some special field.

As the new filament is stronger and harder, the support is not as easy as the original filament to remove.
I find it shocking that this new product is packaged and labeled exactly same as the C-01-xx products. From my experience, while this 'new' might be stronger, it looks, feels and prints like generic filament and certainly is not worth its 'premium' price. It appears that there is no way to chose to get this 'new' or the 'original' product from the pp3dp website. The SKU G03 seems to indicate that the original filament has been discontinued. I've requested more information in this regard and will post an update if I get a reply.

Regards,
Rob

yeahtuna

Post by yeahtuna » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:46 am

I've got an update.

First, pp3dp has assured me that the filament they sell on their website is the original C-01 series. Secondly, they've stated that some distributors were allowed to purchase the 'new and improved' C-03 series of filament. In my case, my distributor was selling me the C-03 series in place of the C-01 series. The distributor is going to refund me money or replace the filament with the C-01 series. I hoping it's the later.

Regards,
Rob

roller

Post by roller » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:43 pm

Colorfabb is completely different ... they don't even do an ABS to my knowledge. Colofabb is an alternative option for PLA as it higher soften point will allow it to be used without a temp mod. Colorfabb make a number of great specialty filaments but an ABS replacement they are not.

car3less

Post by car3less » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:18 pm

I bought my Up! Plus 2 printer from here: http://www.imakr.com/. And it came with one original ABS spool.
I also bought from them 2 separate ABS spools: http://www.imakr.com/filament/41-abs-17 ... ament.html.
The original ABS warps and burns, while the other 2 don't. And they also look differently. :geek:

roller

Post by roller » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:38 pm

car3less wrote:I bought my Up! Plus 2 printer from here: http://www.imakr.com/. And it came with one original ABS spool.
I also bought from them 2 separate ABS spools: http://www.imakr.com/filament/41-abs-17 ... ament.html.
The original ABS warps and burns, while the other 2 don't. And they also look differently. :geek:
Actually all ABS warps but the OEM/original is generally a little better in this regard. I suspect what you are observing is instead the extra adherence from your non OEM filament due to it being used hotter than intended and gluing to the bed more. Do you find it a lot harder to separate the raft on non OEM prints - this would be another side effect. If so, your non OEM should really be printed a little cooler. Also, you probably need to print a little closer to the bed to "smoosh" your filament into the base more - this will help with prints lifting and being allowed to warp. The Plus 2's often seem to have their "auto" height set a little high for my liking and don't get great adherence out of the box. Usually this is fix by letting it set all the heights and then adding 0.1 to the start height ot make it a little tighter. You will get the occasional click caused by the extruder missing a step due to backpressure but this does no harm.

Also, let the bed get really toasty - once it hits 100C let it sit there for at least another 5 minutes. When it reads 100C+ (ideal print temp for ABS) this is the reading at the centre of the bed and you need to give it a little longer for this heat to sink out to the edges and then into the perfboard evenly. Once you regularly do this you should see a lot less lifting and warping.

Now if you print really warp prone things (I print walls - ie think vertical members - that spread across the entire bed - a lot of shrinkage forces build up here) then a build enclosure to keep the heat around the print longer is advised. The easy solution put a box over your printer while it's printing. Not a great long term solution as you are roasting your printer which may not be great if you do it a lot but great to do on the occassional print that is proving impossible.

Hope that was useful and not patronising.

car3less

Post by car3less » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks for the advice !
The warping seems to slow down because I re-tuned the printer's perfboard height. The prints started to improve. What do you mean by OEM prints?
Thanks !

roller

Post by roller » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:10 am

car3less wrote:Thanks for the advice !
The warping seems to slow down because I re-tuned the printer's perfboard height. The prints started to improve. What do you mean by OEM prints?
Thanks !
Prints not using OEM filament. Sorry, I've been doing a lot of low quality posts the lasts few weeks. I've been finishing off uni and full time work at the same time and it's resulted to a lot of middle of the night posting when I've been procratinating :p

Getting the height right improves printing significantly especially with the thin rafts used in the latest versions of software (earlier software used a thicker/wasteful raft).