Weird behavior with small part.

Talk about anything.
stormychel

Weird behavior with small part.

Post by stormychel » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:20 am

Has anyone ever experienced problems with printing tiny parts? A client sent me an STL with a tiny part of 6.4mm x 2.8mm x 5mm, with 2 2mm and 2 1mm holes in it.

The part loads in the up software, but I have to do an inch->mm conversion to correct the size, this is weird thing 1 as when I load it into netfabb it loads correctly, and to be sure I quickly modeled it myself in SolidWorks, and exported to STL. Same behavior.

After doing the conversion, it looks ok in the up software, and size seems to be correct according to the markers.

Then I print it at 0.20, solid, fine.

The printer starts printing, prints a raft that looks about right, but then instead of printing the part, it prints one of the holes, but as a cylinder. After a minute it beeps and is done. So I only get a cylinder where a hole was supposed to be...

Anyone got any clue?
@stormychel

pp3dp.nl

Re: Weird behavior with small part.

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:19 pm

stormychel wrote:Has anyone ever experienced problems with printing tiny parts? A client sent me an STL with a tiny part of 6.4mm x 2.8mm x 5mm, with 2 2mm and 2 1mm holes in it.

The part loads in the up software, but I have to do an inch->mm conversion to correct the size, this is weird thing 1 as when I load it into netfabb it loads correctly, and to be sure I quickly modeled it myself in SolidWorks, and exported to STL. Same behavior.

After doing the conversion, it looks ok in the up software, and size seems to be correct according to the markers.

Then I print it at 0.20, solid, fine.

The printer starts printing, prints a raft that looks about right, but then instead of printing the part, it prints one of the holes, but as a cylinder. After a minute it beeps and is done. So I only get a cylinder where a hole was supposed to be...

Anyone got any clue?
Tiny parts sometimes get ''auto corrected'' by the Up software, don't know if that can be turned off (I searched but couldn't find it). Tiny objects should be printed with the finest settings, 0.15 mm layers (has better parameters for thin walls). However I think the walls of your object are still too small to print on the Up so only what is thick enough gets printed, apparently a cylinder. You could maybe try ''Surface'' under ''Fill'' in the setup tab, has been added for thin walls I think.

And if you really have to print it you could try MeshMixer (free program) in which you can ''fix'' models to have a given minimum wall thickness. I think 0.8 mm minimum is a good place to start.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:28 pm

Ok thank you, will try the surface option first...
@stormychel

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Ok, surface made it printable, but the accuracy is not good enough... :)
@stormychel

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:20 pm

stormychel wrote:Ok, surface made it printable, but the accuracy is not good enough... :)
If I have to print something small I usually print 2 copies in 1 go so the model has time to cool. Small features will look better otherwise the soft material will move along with the hot nozzle. If the nozzle is moving to another model the material cools and when the nozzle returns there is a more rigid base to print on.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:28 pm

Great tip, thanks :D
@stormychel