UP Box at TCT - Birmingham

Talk about anything.
cadcam

UP Box at TCT - Birmingham

Post by cadcam » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Just seen the UP Box at the TCT Exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham.
I guess it may be the same machine as was seen in the US as it is only in the UK for the show before moving on.
It was printing, quality looked fine/excellent/up to normal UP standards. If anyone is going tomorrow or Thursday it would be good to have some feedback on the quality etc of parts once they have been taken out of the machine.

The overall size seems quite large for the build size but the build quality looks good. As It was printing I couldn't really see what the quality of the linear pearings were, it will be hard to beat the quality/robustnest of the Plus/2. Some of the design ideas look as though they may have come from the Tiertime series of machines, so there appears to be a rigid bent steel chassis which bodes well for robustness. I understand. the current software is almost identical to the Up plus/2 but with a larger build platform. There are obviously other features around e.g. an internal light etc which I hope means that there may be a new enhanced version of the software available.

The build platform looks interesting but I didn't have an opportunity to see it being removed etc. However the comment I got was that the build removal was easy, again something to check after more components have been built.

Weight on the UK spec sheet says 20Kg, but I am not sure if that is delivered weight or actual weight,

The head looks neat and I believe is magnetically mounted. In discussion it sounded similar in internal operation to the Up/Tiertime.

In previous posting there were some comments about the filaments. It was printing with a white filament, the colour looked a little washed out reference normal Up filament, but that may just be the effect of the lighting in the box.

On a related matter there seemed to be a number of companies releasing filaments with new materials/mixtures all designed to extrude at the 250-265C range. I scrounged a few samples and hopefully will give some feedback re strengths/elasticity, one rubber like material looks quite interesting at 15ukp/Kg.

Regards

woofy

Re: UP Box at TCT - Birmingham

Post by woofy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:25 am

I was there yesterday and posted a couple of videos.

http://youtu.be/b4qnxTt_des
http://youtu.be/VW6Kh4ryPUM

I did mention to them that the 500g spools were daft on a machine this size. There is plenty of space inside the box for a larger spool and I hope the production printers change this. If not then is looks very easy to use an external spool of choice. I would like to have seen this machine printing ABS but they only shipped one roll of PLA for the exhibition.

Auto level and nozzle height were not working either, they had to manually set up the machine. I think that's still to come. I asked if it was using mechanical bed leveling or done in the raft as per UP2+. It seem it may be mechanical, as there is quite a large ribbon cable under the print bed but it was hard to see anything else if it was there.

Print quality on PLA was mixed. The bottom-less vase looked terrific but a smaller object printed on day 1 of the show looked less good with a slightly pitted base. (Edit - or maybe not, see comments below).
20141001_132618.jpg
20141001_132618.jpg (101.52 KiB) Viewed 13750 times
20141001_134622.jpg
20141001_134622.jpg (117.27 KiB) Viewed 13750 times
Last edited by woofy on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:52 pm

I`m wondering is there honeycomb infill in the upper part?
Whats wrong with the print quality, looks good for me ;)?

The clear material looks really different than white.
Attachments
Clear-white-2.jpg
Clear-White-2
Clear-white-2.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 13723 times
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

roller

Post by roller » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Print quality on PLA was mixed. The bottom-less vase looked terrific but a smaller object printed on day 1 of the show looked less good with a slightly pitted base.
Woofy, are you sure it was pitted? Clear PLA when printed right can be very transparent and you end up seeing straight through to the infill giving the illusion of a poor surface - it's hard to tell from the photo whether this is the case or the prints really are pitted on the surface. Did you get to touch the surface.

I would have expected they have very few print quality issues as the already have the motion control and software form the previous printers - they would be made to change anything much and just leverage the existing electronic/software design. I would only expect issues if the machine has mechanical design/build/tuning flaws and these would generally show up as ringing (vertical ripples after sharp corners) or Z flex/wobble artifacts (Z not straight).

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:42 pm

roller wrote:
Print quality on PLA was mixed. The bottom-less vase looked terrific but a smaller object printed on day 1 of the show looked less good with a slightly pitted base.
Woofy, are you sure it was pitted? Clear PLA when printed right can be very transparent and you end up seeing straight through to the infill giving the illusion of a poor surface - it's hard to tell from the photo whether this is the case or the prints really are pitted on the surface. Did you get to touch the surface.

I would have expected they have very few print quality issues as the already have the motion control and software form the previous printers - they would be made to change anything much and just leverage the existing electronic/software design. I would only expect issues if the machine has mechanical design/build/tuning flaws and these would generally show up as ringing (vertical ripples after sharp corners) or Z flex/wobble artifacts (Z not straight).

Same pitted illusion with clear abs, as you perhaps allready knew .
I'm pretty sure it's not pitted.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

woofy

Post by woofy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:49 pm

I picked it up but didn't make a point from feeling the surface at all. Neither have I ever used transparent PLA so I may have to bow to better experience.
Here is a link to the original photo if you want to zoom in:
http://www.woofys-place.co.uk/files/20141001_132618.jpg

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:04 am

Print quality looks excellent to me. One thing I find interesting and unique about this printer (and that no one has commented on yet AFAIK) is the single top-mounted extruder fan. That's a very unusual location and I'm not sure if it offers the option of blowing any air on the print or if it's just for extruder cooling. I'm not criticizing (Tiertime engineers are brilliant as far as I'm concerned), just remarking on this divergent and novel design.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:05 am

I do think it's high time they made some big (like 200 x 200 x 200) prints on this machine to show the world what it can do, though. And not just single-wall vases, please...

roller

Post by roller » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:20 pm

amd-tec wrote: Same pitted illusion with clear abs, as you perhaps allready knew .
I'm pretty sure it's not pitted.
Lucky you ... my clear ABS isn't quite that clear... it's always printed with a more frosted appearance than PLA.
JuliaDee wrote:I do think it's high time they made some big (like 200 x 200 x 200) prints on this machine to show the world what it can do, though. And not just single-wall vases, please...
Me too though single wall prints are more indicative of calibration issues so I get they are proving a point and using the least plastic to do so. Maybe they can't do 200x200x200 prints yet cos they keep running out of filament on their puny 500g spools ;) I'm really hoping they upgrade to a bigger spool holder in the final version - I would be handy to be able to keep a 1Kg roll in there.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:29 pm

Just about every printer these days can do a decent single-wall vase because that's what manufacturers tune them for because it's somehow become the defacto industry standard test print - not in small part because they don't need support, which other printers are crap at. If Tiertime marketing were smart, they'd do something huge requiring lots of support, highlighting the Up software's superior support removal, its most important point of difference from almost everything else on the market.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Sure that's true ... but anything can print infil because it hides and supports all the inaccuracies. It's kind of the defacto proof of accuracy to print sloping single walls. Plus single walled prints draw more attention because something actually seems to evolve in a short time.

Printing a whole pile of support in a demonstration doesn't really prove much either because all printers do that ... spitting out a lot of small prints so people can try snapping away the support themselves is where people get excited. When I'm showing off the up I take small prints to people with the raft and support intact and let them remove it themselves ... that's when they are really impressed.

I think the issue is trying to make an impression in the short time people wander by and the single walled prints do attract more people.... then they should hand out mini prints of bearings with support intact.... and for sure they should be printing GIANT PRINTS ... single walled or otherwise. Ultimaker used to get all the crowds with giant tornado shaped prints.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Agreed that while at the show you need to do fast prints; what I meant is that another machine somewhere (assuming there is more than one!) should be printing something big that can then be schlepped around to shows and put on display to draw attention. At NY MakerFaire they actually had some big prints but as soon as I picked one up they said "those were not printed on this machine, they are from a Tiertime industrial machine", lol.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Wow, surely that's a bit of a marketing faux pas showing off the Tiertime models. I am getting the feeling there is only on Box prototype ... otherwise you'd think they would have box full of sample prints.

woofy

Post by woofy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:20 pm

I asked if the one at TCT was the same machine that was at Makerfaire and was told it wasn't but they did say there were only a few prototypes in existence at the moment.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:42 pm

I noticed on the TCT video the Box was air printing. Perhaps it had used up all the 500g filament ?? :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94qoGn0hkEg
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Ouch, that is embarrassing, good catch, Jamie!

roller

Post by roller » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:36 am

woofy wrote:I asked if the one at TCT was the same machine that was at Makerfaire and was told it wasn't but they did say there were only a few prototypes in existence at the moment.
You'd think they'd rattle off a lot more sample prints for people to examine at the demos then instead of showing up with prints from Tiertime printers... unless the overall quality is still poor at this time. Maybe they are having troubles with adequate raft adhesion on big prints. The tuning/flatness issues get a lot harder on bigger based prints.