Up Box at NY MakerFaire

Talk about anything.
JuliaDee

Re: Up Box at NY MakerFaire

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:00 pm

The plate itself is ABS. I don't know about what's under it, but yeah, I hope it's metal. Really, MB did that - with a heated bed?!?

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:57 pm

The replicator 2 didnt have a heated bed, (the 2X did though) but the whole bed was supported by abs injection molded "L" shaped arms that werent very sturdy in the long term. But there were a lot of aftermarket mods for it. I ended up buying Aluminum milled arms to replace them and the printer got a lot sturdier. I do think its odd that the Up Box has an abs build plate. Makes me wonder if they were missing a piece at the makerfaire. Like a perfboard or glass plate or something that sits on top of the abs plate. If not, I would hope it wont be hard to add our own aftermarket plates. I'm a recent convert to the glass plates with hairspray (Garnier Fructis 5) on my old Up Plus when printing with ABS. But Tiertime has a lot more experience than I do, so I'm hoping if it is an ABS plate, that theres a good reason. And not just to create another consumable, lol.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:03 pm

It's deliberate, and Brian Quan said it works great. I don't know if it's better than perfboard or if it's supposed to generate revenue or what. I'm sure it's easier to create a snap-in / snap-out platform with injection-molded ABS than a flat piece of perfboard, and maybe it provides better anchoring across the whole build surface as a result of molding in multiple attachment points/anchors. The Zortrax sometimes suffers from "bulge" at the center of its perfboard since it's only anchored around the edge.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:50 am

I'm sure I'll like it, and if not, I would assume it shouldn't be too hard to mod it to a different type of plate :) I just wish it was coming out sooner so I could dropkick my makerbot out the door and never deal with them again (aka sell it, lol) Sadly it's the only printer i have for wide prints at the moment, my two old up pluses do everything else though :D I wonder if the software for the Up Box will be any different?