Up Box at NY MakerFaire

Talk about anything.
JuliaDee

Up Box at NY MakerFaire

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:53 pm

I saw the Up Box in action today at NY MakerFaire. I believe the unit on display was a prototype, so mass production is definitely a few months away. Only one printed part was on display, the obligatory single-wall vase, and it looked very nice.

The machine is quite large, as you can see from the long-range photo, and looks very nice and well-made, as we would expect. The UpBox logo under the build platform looks really cool, and I think it was illuminated. The built-in spool holder is just a convenience/aesthetic thing, there is nothing to prevent usage with external filament, and there's even an opening in the side into which you can introduce it.

The guys manning the booth (Brian Quan, formerly of pp3dpUSA/X-Object and now with TIertime, and Joseph Guo of Tiertime), were unable to supply any details about the extruder, so I don't know if it's got a spring-loaded feeder or if its tolerance to filament variations has been improved. Couldn't see the temperature sensor or its connections so it's hard to tell how easily it'll be to mod for temp control, but I assume it'll be possible to intercept it at the ribbon connector if nowhere else, assuming they're using the same RTD we've come to know and love. Looks like plenty of room inside for mods.

The snap-in ABS plastic build platform is certainly a novelty, and Brian says it works great.

It does not give the immediate "oh my god this thing is built like a tank!" impression that the Zortrax M200 does, but I think it's sturdy enough, and my 2 years of experience with the Up Plus is that Tiertime/Up engineering generally know what's important for performance and reliability. It also of course has the decidedly superior Up software, USB control, larger build volume, 100-micron layer capability, and far greater printing speed. I just hope they've improved the feeder, as this is the Plus's achilles heel.

I look forward to seeing more samples of its print quality in the coming months, but if it's as good as the Up Plus and they put some good marketing behind it, it should be a winner.

http://youtu.be/1iAhMxkszDw

http://youtu.be/JpWJEYEoWfU
IMG_7616_1024.jpg
IMG_7616_1024.jpg (186.46 KiB) Viewed 17183 times
IMG_7624_600.jpg
IMG_7624_600.jpg (99.41 KiB) Viewed 17183 times

pp3dp.nl

Re: Up Box at NY MakerFaire

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks for the info Julia! I have been checking a few times today hoping you would share the news with us ;)

The machine looks great, I only hope the quality is as good as the Plus because I see the rods that the Mini has. I have heard multiple times that the Up Plus's linear guides are superior (no backlash?) but a little more expensive.

Anyway thanks, now we know it is real!

Lann

Post by Lann » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:27 am

Wow! This thing is a monster. The good thing about the UP printer is it's reliable. But over here, it is overpriced :(.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:02 am

Lann wrote:Wow! This thing is a monster. The good thing about the UP printer is it's reliable. But over here, it is overpriced :(.
Overpriced compared to what? There are other printers with integrated software, easily-removable support, and the Up's reliability and print quality? You might say that those things come at a price, but "overpriced" means you get less than what you pay for, and I would never say that of the Plus.

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:05 am

Thank you for the report and photos. Holy cow, that thing is huge!

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:10 am

pp3dp.nl wrote:I have heard multiple times that the Up Plus's linear guides are superior (no backlash?)
The Plus needs linear guides because the platform and head both "hang" from a single support in each axis. In a gantry system X and Y are supported at both ends. I would think backlash is more a question of belt and pulley quality than slides vs rods. With a rod-based mechanism the precision mostly comes down to the quality (straightness, roundness, hardness/stiffness) of the rods themselves and the amount of play in all the slider/carriage bearings.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:04 am

JuliaDee wrote:
pp3dp.nl wrote:I have heard multiple times that the Up Plus's linear guides are superior (no backlash?)
The Plus needs linear guides because the platform and head both "hang" from a single support in each axis. In a gantry system X and Y are supported at both ends. I would think backlash is more a question of belt and pulley quality than slides vs rods. With a rod-based mechanism the precision mostly comes down to the quality (straightness, roundness, hardness/stiffness) of the rods themselves and the amount of play in all the slider/carriage bearings.
Yes I was thinking about it before I fell asleep last night ;)

I noticed from your photos that the table now only moves up so calibrating is probably not or less necessary, the head makes the most movements now.

So thanks again for the pictures, videos and info!

Lann

Post by Lann » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:16 pm

JuliaDee wrote:
Lann wrote:Wow! This thing is a monster. The good thing about the UP printer is it's reliable. But over here, it is overpriced :(.
Overpriced compared to what? There are other printers with integrated software, easily-removable support, and the Up's reliability and print quality? You might say that those things come at a price, but "overpriced" means you get less than what you pay for, and I would never say that of the Plus.
Overpriced in comparison with its global recommended retail price, not with other printer. In my country, the price will be around USD 2200 to USD 2500 and this not because of tax as there is no tax for 3D printer :( :(.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:22 pm

That's very expensive indeed. But I don't understand - if the issue is not tax, then why can't you just order directly from pp3dp website (or any other internet retailer) for $1,649 or less?

Lann

Post by Lann » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:44 pm

JuliaDee wrote:That's very expensive indeed. But I don't understand - if the issue is not tax, then why can't you just order directly from pp3dp website (or any other internet retailer) for $1,649 or less?
I tried but pp3dp doesn't deliver to my country, maybe there is an arrangement between them and the distributor. Have to live it I guess. By the way, the price I mentioned is for the UP Box.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Ah well, for Up Box there is actually a competitive product :)

Lann

Post by Lann » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:42 pm

JuliaDee wrote:Ah well, for Up Box there is actually a competitive product :)
You are right, and I have already bought it and planning to add one more. But frankly speaking, after using Up plus and Up mini for two years, it's hard to resist the Up Box though the price is higher...hhmmm..

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:45 pm

I understand exactly what you're feeling!

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks Julia,

BOX looks like a "pro" printer, it`s big and it looks nice.
Wondering, was the filament clear or white they printed?
Prototype or not, they have to hurry up if going to start selling in November ;).

AMD-TEC
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:12 pm

amd-tec wrote:Thanks Julia,

Prototype or not, they have to hurry up if going to start selling in November ;).

AMD-TEC
That's a really good question about the filament. It certainly looks transparent, as did the finished print they showed me, but if that's the case, what transparent filament are they using?? Something from the Tiertime industrial line that's not available to Up users? If they're using 3rd party for their official demos that'd be very ironic.

julia

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:28 pm

JuliaDee wrote:

AMD-TEC
That's a really good question about the filament. It certainly looks transparent, as did the finished print they showed me, but if that's the case, what transparent filament are they using?? Something from the Tiertime industrial line that's not available to Up users? If they're using 3rd party for their official demos that'd be very ironic.

julia
I might be wrong, but Tiertime dont have transparent filaments...
so perhaps we see some new colors when they start selling.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:56 pm

JuliaDee wrote:

AMD-TEC

julia
The industrial line of Tiertime is the same as PP3DP only bigger spools, I think they used one of the new materials. I believe I heard somewhere they were testing new Up filament so I guess this was one of them. Maybe stronger ABS or more PLA colors, would be really nice.

woofy

Post by woofy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:17 pm

JuliaDee wrote: The snap-in ABS plastic build platform is certainly a novelty, and Brian says it works great.

I must say that does sound a bit like soluble umbrellas, inflatable dartboards and chocolate teapots. :lol:
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:27 pm

woofy wrote:
JuliaDee wrote: The snap-in ABS plastic build platform is certainly a novelty, and Brian says it works great.

I must say that does sound a bit like soluble umbrellas, inflatable dartboards and chocolate teapots. :lol:
Yes ABS on ABS doesn't seem like a good idea, however for Stratasys it works. The build plates (disposable :o so it's a consumable) of the UPrint are ABS with a rough surface pattern. I know people roughen them up with sandpaper because they don't want to buy a new plate for every build.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:38 pm

So is the build plate itself ABS, or just the platform that holds the plate? And hopefully the base that supports it all is metal. Don't want to run into the problem the Replicator 2s had with the abs support arms slowly sagging or vibrating during printing.