New desktop 3D printer from Tiertime

Talk about anything.
Tiertime-Jason

Re: New desktop 3D printer from Tiertime

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:58 am

For the BOX, as far as I know, there is no special measures to prevent ppl from doing small hacks like temperature mod or using third party filament.
The BOX uses a new smaller spool that holds 500g filament, the new spool has the same diameter as the 700g old spool but thinner.
The print head is also modular with a magnetic dock, there is some improvement to print head as well.

Cheers,

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:16 am

Thanks, Jason!

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:18 am

Tiertime-Jason wrote:For the BOX, as far as I know, there is no special measures to prevent ppl from doing small hacks like temperature mod or using third party filament.
That's reassuring...Julia, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions from seeing it in person.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how to convince my wife I need a third printer.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:22 am

pleppik wrote:Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how to convince my wife I need a third printer.
Well, if both of your current machines were to suddenly break down, you'd be stuck, so it's only prudent that you should have a backup for them.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:25 am

Putting a smaller spool design for a bigger printer is just plain dumb... and so contrary to common sense it's ridiculous. I've already printed designs on a smaller printer (my reprap) that would go over the 700g roll size. Large printers need 1Kg spools minimum. Makes me concerned other poorly thought ideas will have made it into this printer.

I'm certainly interested but there is no chance I'll be an early adopter like I was with the Mini - I'm only fool enough to be suckered once. Fingers crossed the spool size is the only gaff in this new model.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:45 am

Don't know how he got his hands on one so soon, maybe he was given one by Tiertime to test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeGva0L5Ibs

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:26 pm

mb20music wrote:Don't know how he got his hands on one so soon, maybe he was given one by Tiertime to test?

That's Brian Quan of Tiertime unpacking the prototype for MakerFaire. Note the username "Brendan Q", and also he is recognizable at 0:14.

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:32 pm

JuliaDee wrote:
mb20music wrote:Don't know how he got his hands on one so soon, maybe he was given one by Tiertime to test?

That's Brian Quan of Tiertime unpacking the prototype for MakerFaire. Note the username "Brendan Q", and also he is recognizable at 0:14.
Have you seen the BOX in live?
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

Lann

Post by Lann » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:47 pm

amd-tec wrote:
JuliaDee wrote:

Have you seen the BOX in live?
You missed it? You can read Julia's short review here http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=54485.

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks,
now I see the post.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Some photos for the BOX and printed samples during the Beijing Design Week at 798 area.

This is one of the pre-production prototypes we made for exhibitions. It prints well with the UP software 2.12 but not yet equipped with all the functions (eg. auto leveling)
IMG_1409web.jpg
IMG_1409web.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 16777 times

A lamp designed by Pekka Salokannel, printed by the BOX. The lamp body is from Ikea.
IMG_1410web.jpg
IMG_1410web.jpg (39.56 KiB) Viewed 16777 times
A full size bottle printed by the BOX, the model was provide by the fruit juice sponsor.
IMG_1449web.jpg
IMG_1449web.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 16777 times
The heating plate of this version is an aluminium plate with bolts that hold the ABS print surface. Print surface is injection molded ABS with shallow trenches.It has holes that allows it to be locked by the bolts. It is very easy to remove and install the print surface.
The natural color PLA will be released soon. The PLA adhere to the surface very well.
round thing with holes on left is actually the air filter.
I have no idea whether this will be the same as in the final production model.
IMG_1448web.jpg
IMG_1448web.jpg (76.96 KiB) Viewed 16777 times

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks, Jason, I think it is great you are sharing this info, and it will help generate interest in the printer.

When I first saw the air filter at MakerFaire, I thought the printer was equipped with a sound system :)

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:18 pm

I second Julia's thank you. :D I am glad to see something new generating interest in the Up brand of printers. Jason, can you tell me which filament the bottle is printed with?

Thanks,

Rocky

Numonic

New desktop 3D printer from Tiertime

Post by Numonic » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Okay I love the machine but not too crazy about the forced smaller roll size. I generally buy 1kg rolls of filament and would like to continue that, would also like to know if temperature controls will be avialabe to the masses? As I want to use rubber like filaments on my Up Mini but cannot and I really don't want to do any mods on my machine loosing warranty. Will these changes be made for the mass produced version or are molds are already finalized for mass production?

roller

Post by roller » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:18 am

Numonic wrote:Okay I love the machine but not too crazy about the forced smaller roll size. I generally buy 1kg rolls of filament and would like to continue that, would also like to know if temperature controls will be avialabe to the masses? As I want to use rubber like filaments on my Up Mini but cannot and I really don't want to do any mods on my machine loosing warranty. Will these changes be made for the mass produced version or are molds are already finalized for mass production?
I think it was stated earlier or maybe I was told elsewhere but the 500g spool holder doesn't need to be used - filament can be fed through from a regular 700g or 1Kg roll but I agree it's a pretty stupid inclusion. It certainly doesn't fit with the old design rule: a design inclusion should be more convenient than it's omission. In this case I can see no advantage for anyone having such a puny roll stored on hand. The current 700g spools are already annoying small with our tiny print areas. People who want this print want to print big not print small - rolls are going to run out fast and mid print all the time.

You can easily install a temp mod without affecting warranty. It's a plug in device that can easily be removed should you need warranty. As it does nothing to run the printer beyond spec (ie hotter) it cannot do any damage to fit one.

Lann

Post by Lann » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:45 pm

roller wrote:
Numonic wrote:Okay I love the machine but not too crazy about the forced smaller roll size. I generally buy 1kg rolls of filament and would like to continue that, would also like to know if temperature controls will be avialabe to the masses? As I want to use rubber like filaments on my Up Mini but cannot and I really don't want to do any mods on my machine loosing warranty. Will these changes be made for the mass produced version or are molds are already finalized for mass production?
I think it was stated earlier or maybe I was told elsewhere but the 500g spool holder doesn't need to be used - filament can be fed through from a regular 700g or 1Kg roll but I agree it's a pretty stupid inclusion. It certainly doesn't fit with the old design rule: a design inclusion should be more convenient than it's omission. In this case I can see no advantage for anyone having such a puny roll stored on hand. The current 700g spools are already annoying small with our tiny print areas. People who want this print want to print big not print small - rolls are going to run out fast and mid print all the time.

You can easily install a temp mod without affecting warranty. It's a plug in device that can easily be removed should you need warranty. As it does nothing to run the printer beyond spec (ie hotter) it cannot do any damage to fit one.
..ans don't declare in this forum you have installed the temp mod. :)

roller

Post by roller » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:36 pm

You can say that ... but of course you installed it on your "other" printer. In the US I beleive the supplier actually needs state with evidence how your modification could have harmed the printer (I learned this from earlier Apple lawsuits on modding). In Australia this is definitely the case so any mod that plugs and unplugs and only serves to lower the temperature really shouldn't do warranty harm unless someone can provide evidence on how it might harm the printer. But if you're worried not revealing your real name on the forum is also another safe way ... too late for numonic on that front :)

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:58 pm

It's really never been an issue AFAIK; pp3dp have been very reasonable, understanding, and respectful of their users.

As to the ease of modding The Box, we don't have enough info. As I originally reported, the sensor connection was not obvious to me when I saw the printer.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:15 am

Yes, I've certainly never heard of anyone being refused warranty because of a temp mod either ... thought the few who have needlessly cut cables to install one might be on shaky ground if the mainboard failed for example. I wasn't suggesting that any reseller has denied a fix on a modded machine but more that it would be difficult to refuse a repair if the mod has been done appropriately.

On how mod-able the Box will be, it does seem to have that familiar rainbow ribbon cable in at least one of the prototypes and it would obviously be cheap and easy to go with the hotend arrangement they already have as it works so well. Fingers crossed it's more of the same.

On a pet hate point ... I wish they had named it differently. So annoying to watch for news on new products when they choose such generic names/terms. "Box" and "Up" are certainly terms that commonly appear in the same sentence that have nothing to do with printing ... and ones that do relate to 3d Printing but not this printer. I wish they'd named it "adsfjll" or some other random confluence of letters and numbers instead. :)

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:20 pm

roller wrote:Yes, I've certainly never heard of anyone being refused warranty because of a temp mod either ... thought the few who have needlessly cut cables to install one might be on shaky ground if the mainboard failed for example. I wasn't suggesting that any reseller has denied a fix on a modded machine but more that it would be difficult to refuse a repair if the mod has been done appropriately.

On how mod-able the Box will be, it does seem to have that familiar rainbow ribbon cable in at least one of the prototypes and it would obviously be cheap and easy to go with the hotend arrangement they already have as it works so well. Fingers crossed it's more of the same.

On a pet hate point ... I wish they had named it differently. So annoying to watch for news on new products when they choose such generic names/terms. "Box" and "Up" are certainly terms that commonly appear in the same sentence that have nothing to do with printing ... and ones that do relate to 3d Printing but not this printer. I wish they'd named it "adsfjll" or some other random confluence of letters and numbers instead. :)

HAHA. I like the way "adsfjll" just rolls off the tongue! :D I vote from this time on we refer to the new UP as this!
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au