New desktop 3D printer from Tiertime

Talk about anything.
David Riley

Re: New desktop 3D printer from Tiertime

Post by David Riley » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:56 pm

My thoughts exactly Woofy. I am put off Zortrax by their attitude.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:35 pm

JuliaDee wrote:There was once a very long thread here (started by me) on the subject of that larger-format printer that we both own. That thread and pretty much any other reference to the printer in question was deleted by pp3dp some months ago. I don't blame them terribly... their censorship is actually a lot less draconian that that imposed by the manufacturer of the printer in question on their own forum.
Sorry to hear this.
Goodbye
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:13 pm

Hello Drew,

I checked the moderate log. There was no delete from all my crew for a while. We only censor the messages for new users to prevent SPAM, not for anyone else. Your post should appear here automatically without any screening at all.

Please try again, and express your opinion at will, which is the only way to help UP and UPPers to learn more.

Best

Joseph

car3less

Post by car3less » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:18 pm

I bought Up Plus 2 last year and I was so excited to see how well it worked.

I needed a second printer and I was waiting for the Box. And waiting, and waiting... So I bought a Flashforge Creator Pro and it prints also very good; its minus - the software is horrible.

But I am still waiting for Up Box :D

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Hi

S
o I bought a Flashforge Creator Pro and it prints also very good; its minus - the software is horrible.
I have a now dead Up!Plus and a Flashforge Creator.
My Flashforge continues to crank out countless prints used for prototyping by a motorbike company, a refrigerated truck fabricating company, and for my own projects. At one time it printed continuously for 24 hours daily for 2 weeks, without it faltering. A very good printer.
Are you using Makerbot Makerware software?
Originally I used ReplicatorG which is definitely horrible but installed MaketBot Makerware which is much much better than ReplicatorG and in my opinion in many ways as as good as the Up! software and in some ways even better. Slicing is fast and prints are good quality, including bolt threads printed without support.
For the very best results you could purchase Simplify3D which has many extra features and probably the best alternative.

BUT, the Up! print quality was better being more accurate for fine detail, so YES I am also patiently waiting to get my hands on an Up!Box.

I hope this helps.
And YES, A am also eagerly waiting to get my hands on an Up!Box.
Regards
Lawrence

cadcam

Post by cadcam » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:27 pm

new_up1.png
new_up1.png (166.33 KiB) Viewed 15380 times
Apologies for not replying earlier, off the internet and then my previous posting seemed to vanish. I hope it was not sinister, but more that the link was flakey and I think it went down during the submit.

I do hope that I haven't indavertently caused Drew to leave. I hope that Joseph's comments mean that we can all still benefit from Drew knowedge. I know we have made many mods to our Up Pluses with refernce to Drew's work. (See attached picture of our latest temperature controlled, remote control .. enclosure etc based on some of Drew's comments)

I had had a look at the Zortax machine a while ago, followed some of Julia's initial comments with interest, but had put off buying one as it's specs were really quite close to the BOX (But as Drew says no machine -> No model -> very bad spec!)

I think May 9th is the first anniversary of public info appearing in the Chinese press(http://beijing.china.org.cn/2014-05/09/ ... 338193.htm) , this seems quite a long time in gestation. I wondered if Joseph could comment as to whether the delay is a manufacturing problem or are we likely to see a really killer variant, with significant improvements from those demonstrated in shows in the Autumn. The one in Birmingham seemed to be printing well and given the evolutionary nature of the development I was not expecting this length of delay. I had not wanted to be one of the early adopters for such a teaching critical machine, but also had not expected delivery to potentially be dealyed to the next academic year.

In the meantime I had looked at the Wanhao d5s as it seemed to give me a significantly larger build volume which would give some variation in provision if/when I could buy a BOX. It seems to be getting quite good reviews re its stiffness, mechanical reliability and build quality, if not the ease of software that the Up systems give (great in education). However I am interested to see no one has mentioned them in this thread.

Thanks once again for all your views.

regards

car3less

Post by car3less » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:13 pm

Lawrence wrote: For the very best results you could purchase Simplify3D which has many extra features and probably the best alternative.

BUT, the Up! print quality was better being more accurate for fine detail, so YES I am also patiently waiting to get my hands on an Up!Box.

Yes, I purchased it. It's great software. Thanks. :)
And true... Up. has better quality for details.

Maarten Visser

Post by Maarten Visser » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Well, the iMakr store in London announces unveiling "the printer that just prints" . And I have a strong suspicion that Tiertime has something to do with this ;-) April 9th will be the date.

woofy

Post by woofy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:21 am

Maarten, why do you think this is tiertime?
Do you know of another new 3d printer that is not the box?
(The box is listed on page2 at gbp1600 rather than the 2000 for the new one.)
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

Maarten Visser

Post by Maarten Visser » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:34 am

Hey Woofy
It just adds up.. We have been waiting for the Box to hit the market for quite some time now, and iMakr has been announcing their "printer that just prints" for a while, I know of no super-reliable printer about to hit the market about now... oh and a saw somewhere (I think a French retaileR) the Box becoming available on april 9th. So its a guess, but an educated one.
cheers, Maarten

woofy

Post by woofy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:41 am

But the box is listed on page 2 at 1600 pounds
so, what is coming along at 2000 pounds.

I guess we just have to wait and see :)
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

Maarten Visser

Post by Maarten Visser » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:49 am

Hmm, good point. Perhaps a Box with 2 extruders? That would be awesome!
woofy wrote:But the box is listed on page 2 at 1600 pounds
so, what is coming along at 2000 pounds.

I guess we just have to wait and see :)

joeb

Post by joeb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:32 am

Sorry started a new post before I saw this one
The wait is over - mine arrived today
The wait for the platform to heat up is not - takes a long time been heating for 20 minutes since I hit print at 76% and appears to take about 2 minutes per % so i dont know whats going on there
definitely a pre heat
So far first print was a failure but then that's me -i think
never could get platform heights right and it appears auto has the same issue
Apart from that all appears good

We shall see
Cheers
Joe

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:51 am

Hi Joe

What version of the UP software are you using, I think 2.14 is currently the best for the BOX autolevel etc
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:05 am

Hey Bruce
When will Australia and NZ get the Box?

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi Lawrence

The first 50 pre-orders were sent out on Tuesday, over the next few weeks others will be rolling out.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

LonV

Post by LonV » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 am

Anyone know when they'll be available in the US?