PLA printing never works

Talk about anything.
brianeh

PLA printing never works

Post by brianeh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:35 pm

We have had our UP plus for a year now.
And have had zero success with PLA.

I can load it, get it to extrude just fine. But when I send the print and printing begins, nothing comes out the print head.
I then withdraw, and then if I take the extruder head off, it will extrude, I can then put the head back on, and all is fine.
I can even load in ABS, and do an extrude and all is fine.

Just the only problem is that PLA will never actually print following the initial extrude after loading it.

Any ideas?

mb20music

Re: PLA printing never works

Post by mb20music » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:11 am

You will need a cooling mod on the extruder. What do you have an UP! Plus or UP! Mini?

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:14 am

You will need a cooling mod to use aftermarket PLA filament. What do you have an UP! Plus or UP! Mini?

Or you can purchase the UP! / Afinia PLA filament but there are only a few colors currently available.

KCSteve

Post by KCSteve » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:16 pm

It also helps to add a temperature mod. I've got the Octave one (just the simple 8 setting one). Still tricky to find just the right setup.
It also helps for PLA to leave the cabinet open for quicker cooling.
Enjoy!

KCSteve :->

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Many have had success with ColorFabb PLA/PHA filaments on the UP. Have you tried this ?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:16 pm

On the UP! Plus I am using this mod, fairly cheap and easy to do. Total cost is only about $10 for a 50mm fan and a step-down voltage module. I used the plug and wiring from an old AC adapter.

I have used aftermarket PLA filament from 4 different suppliers (eBay) and all of them have worked great.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:397270

Tiertime-xp

Post by Tiertime-xp » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:58 pm

brianeh wrote:We have had our UP plus for a year now.
And have had zero success with PLA.

I can load it, get it to extrude just fine. But when I send the print and printing begins, nothing comes out the print head.
I then withdraw, and then if I take the extruder head off, it will extrude, I can then put the head back on, and all is fine.
I can even load in ABS, and do an extrude and all is fine.

Just the only problem is that PLA will never actually print following the initial extrude after loading it.

Any ideas?

Hi brianeh,

1. You need to confirm you select PLA as printing material in maintenance menu.
2. Please using the newest UP software 2.12 to get the best PLA performance.
3. Tiertime PLA works perfectly on UP printers, Tiertime cannot guarantee the printing quality of 3rd party PLA.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Please check out my topic : http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54507

This mod enables PLA printing on the UP! Mini. Even the soft, cheap stuff.

Ingredients : some ABS to print the frame, 2 40x40x10mm 12v fans and some wire.
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Or the air pump mod by Drew, or the NEMA 17 mod by jeeplvr or buy higher melt point PLA like Colourfabb (not 100% PLA - contains some HIPS) or some other quality supplies (be wary of false claims).

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:36 pm

roller wrote:Or the air pump mod by Drew, or the NEMA 17 mod by jeeplvr or buy higher melt point PLA like Colourfabb (not 100% PLA - contains some HIPS) or some other quality supplies (be wary of false claims).
The air pump mod and stepper upgrade also look like a great way to solve this problem! But I think adding the fans is much simpler and easier to undo in case of a warranty issue...
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:46 am

Air pump is about equal to the fan mod. You can do it without any irreversible effects. Putting fans on the stepper wasn't enough for my stepper/environment. I tried it about a year ago - had to add a Peltier to get a positive improvement. Not all Up models generate the same heat in the Extruder stepper.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:17 am

roller wrote:Air pump is about equal to the fan mod. You can do it without any irreversible effects. Putting fans on the stepper wasn't enough for my stepper/environment. I tried it about a year ago - had to add a Peltier to get a positive improvement. Not all Up models generate the same heat in the Extruder stepper.
Didn't know what a Peltier was :) learned something today and ordered a 12v one to experiment with (I collect electronic components :) ).

My next step will be adding a fan to the top door, just above the extruder assembly. The largest one I can fit without doing injustice to the design of the printer, and make the speed adjustable. I would love to print with the top door closed as our cats/dogs are a little too obsessed with it... :)
@stormychel

Oracle817

Post by Oracle817 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:19 am

I am using this mod:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:413198

It helps pull out considerable amount of heat from the motor and I get consistent good print for PLA now. You can have a try.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:46 pm

stormychel wrote:Please check out my topic : http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54507

Which way are you orientating the fans?

Also is there a another build of yours that is thicker?

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Carnivore wrote:
stormychel wrote:Please check out my topic : http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54507

Which way are you orientating the fans?

Also is there a another build of yours that is thicker?
The existing fan is reversed, so it extracts heat from the heatsink. The original orientation was probably chosen to keep the fan multifunctional, ie cooling the heatsink / blowing against the print (with latch open).

The thickness was kept at a minum to be able to keep the original screws (holding on to the stepper), to keep clearance between the side fan and the printer casing, and to minimize extra weight. You can easily change it by editing the STL with FreeCAD or SolidWorks, but I don't see a real reason to make it thicker, it's strong enough as it is.
@stormychel

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:37 pm

I printed out your design and tried it on my mini but it still jammed.

I have the main fan reversed and the other two blowing on the stepper.

I am using the standard PLA setting with no temp mod.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:22 am

Carnivore wrote:I printed out your design and tried it on my mini but it still jammed.

I have the main fan reversed and the other two blowing on the stepper.

I am using the standard PLA setting with no temp mod.
Weird... Did you had a lot of jamming before? And dit it jam immediately, or after a while of printing?

You might need to clean the stepper gear first?
@stormychel

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:48 am

One more thing comes to mind, you can not use the latch to blow air onto the PLA with this setup. This is probably causing your jamming.

When the latch is closed, the reversed fan pulls fresh air from the side holes above the latch to cool the heatsink.
When the latch is open, the fan pulls hot air from the hotend around the heatsink, heating the stepper even more!
As roller pointed out, I should make one of the extra fans blow onto the workpiece.

Also, this mod works best (for PLA) with closed bottom door and opened top door.

Can I ask what brand PLA you use? I use the cheapest stuff I can find...
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:46 pm

latch=windbarrier

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Opening the latch to allow air from the bed upwards seemed to do the trick. I'll post a picture.