raised lettering issue

Talk about anything.
mec949

raised lettering issue

Post by mec949 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:36 am

Im printing name tags with raised lettering and there is an issue

The top surface of the lettering is not perfectly complete.
I am assuming its because of the zig zag nature of the layer fill pattern the up uses, but im not sure
Is there any way to mske the up 'colour in' in concentric patterns instead of zig zags and missing lines?
How can I fix this? Anyone?

Will try to load a picture at some point.
Im using z-abs but the problem existed with up filament too.

mb20music

Re: raised lettering issue

Post by mb20music » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:43 am

Are you using the "Fine" print setting and .15 layer height with solid fill? Also, the larger and bolder the letters are, the better it fills in and some fonts will turn out better than others, best to use thicker fonts if you haven't already discovered that.

I don't think there is anything else you can do in the settings to help. I could be wrong.

mec949

Post by mec949 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:53 am

mb20music wrote:Are you using the "Fine" print setting and .15 layer height with solid fill? Also, the larger and bolder the letters are, the better it fills in and some fonts will turn out better than others, best to use thicker fonts if you haven't already discovered that.
Yes I have discovered thicker fonts work better, thankyou. The fine setting does not seem to improve the result nor the 1.5 layer height, tried both today
I don't think there is anything else you can do in the settings to help. I could be wrong.
Its irritating that it can't colour in properly. It would be better if it coloured in concentrically from the outside edge... sigh
Any advice is welcome

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:48 am

if your tags are flat with raised text try the foillowing, print them on edge. this will work as long as the tag base can be a couple of mm thick. if you find that the narrow edge will not adher to the platform, just form a wide 1.5mm lip to the bottom edge and then cut it off when complete.
printing vertically ensures a solid font as the face is made up of many vertical passes.
cheers

Peter

KCSteve

Post by KCSteve » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:08 pm

You may be going below the resolution limit for the printer. I made a set of resolution test plates and found that the Mini can't reliably resolve a raised bit below 0.6mm. If some parts of your letters are smaller than that they may or may not print. The UP! Plus & Plus 2 go down to 0.15 instead of 0.20 so they should be able to resolve a bit finer, but you still could be hitting the limit.

Here are the test plates: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:420781
Enjoy!

KCSteve :->

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:00 pm

You could try to "paint" over the surface of the letters thus sealing them up.
Visit your local beauty supply store and pick up empty nail polish bottles with the brush in cap and fill them with acetone and snipped pieces of the color filament, now you have matching paint/welding material for your project.

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

mec949

Post by mec949 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:00 am

Ill try the printing it on edge option, but still it is very disappointing that seeming just from the path that the nozzle takes, can totally screw up the serface of ones print

Ive printed things with far finer surface features that came out ok but were a single path.
Anything that has a zig zag pattern in a confined space tends to come out less that expected

Thanks for the kind responses guys