Is my printer faulty?

Talk about anything.
hajime

Is my printer faulty?

Post by hajime » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:37 am

Hello, I have the Up Plus 2 for about two weeks. I am satisfied with it most of the time. However, on the 3rd print, it printed noodle/nothing in air. Today, it seemed to print fine in the first minute. After I came back from an hour break, I found that the printer was printing in air with nothing coming from the noozle. I had to initialize, extruded from noozle, auto level, etc. several times before it started to print again. After a break, I went to check the printing status. I found noodles and the printer was printing in air without filament coming out from the noozle. What is wrong? Is this normal? Should I return it to the company for an exchange?
Attachments
noodle3.jpg
noodle3.jpg (43.94 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
noodle2.jpg
noodle2.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
noodle1.jpg
noodle1.jpg (25.4 KiB) Viewed 4856 times

Astro

Re: Is my printer faulty?

Post by Astro » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi Haj,
What brand and type of filament are you printing with? I have seen this plenty of times before on my up plus, your printer could be quite fine.

Trent

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 pm

This kind of thing can happen when part of the print starts to peel up from the build plate and gets knocked around by the nozzle as it moves around. First thing to do is make sure The platform is correctly and accurately calibrated. Then watch the next print carefully. At least for the first hour or so. It's only by watching a print very carefully that you'll get a feel for what it looks like when things start to go wrong.

Hope this helps. There's a mountain of useful information on this forum. I know it's sometimes not easy to find what you're looking for but, believe me, you'll never have anything happen that hasn't happened before to someone else. Persevere and you'll find what you're looking for.

Cheers!

AndyL

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi hajime,

Just asking, did you use other fill settings other than the solid fill option?

I noticed when I use the 3th or 4th fill setting, the printer layes down drops with little strings in zigzag pattern. The pattern is okay but sometimes the drops stick their head above the current layer. When they cooldown and the nozzle hits them and the adhesian of the build plate is poor, it could knock the print of the build plate. The drops are not so much a problem on a small print. When you have many prints loaded in a single run, the drops have more time to cooldown before the nozzle comes back and potentially destroy everything.

Cheers, Matt
Always breath out on the way UP