PLA printing using Makerbot 2 vs. Up Plus 2

Talk about anything.
hajime

PLA printing using Makerbot 2 vs. Up Plus 2

Post by hajime » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:05 am

Hello, previously I owned a Makerbot 2. It has some design faults. Anyway, how is PLA printing using the Makerbot 2 compared with that using the Up Plus 2? I had bad experience when I used the Makerbot 2 to print things. When it printed, there were bad smell. I did not notice smell when I used the Up Plus 2. The quality of the objects created using the Makerbot 2 do not look as good as that of the Up Plus 2. I don't know if it is due to PLA vs. ABS or some other additional factors. Because of my bad experience in printing using the Makerbot 2, I hesitate to PLA on the Up Plus 2.

roller

Re: PLA printing using Makerbot 2 vs. Up Plus 2

Post by roller » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:19 pm

Out of the box the Up Plus, including the 2, is not PLA friendly. The stepper motor tends to overheat many of the most common PLA and cause it to jam. If you use a higher temp PLA like Colorfabb it prints brilliantly. I've modded a few of modern Makerbots and my clients use the prints I get out of my Up using Colofabb without any mods as the standard they seek. I do prefer to use it on the ABS mode though and use a temp mod but I also use the Mac software which doesn't yet produce the same level of results as the Windows versions PLA setting. I get as good quality as an ABS print with standard quality filament.