Very difficult to remove from cellboard

Talk about anything.
hajime

Very difficult to remove from cellboard

Post by hajime » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Hello experienced users, I would like to get your advice on how to remove the printed objects and the raft/support material from the cellboard. I just made my first printing. It had two objects. The first object was not so difficult to remove from the cellboard. However, I cannot remove the second one. Also, the raft/support materials of both objects bond to the cellboard so well that even I use the enclosed shove with strong force, I can't remove them from the cellboard. Any suggestion appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. One side of the stove has a more inclined edge. Should that be facing/touching the cellboard? Anyway, tried both sides but still no luck in removing the stuff from the cellboard.

hajime

Re: Very difficult to remove from cellboard

Post by hajime » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:35 pm

hajime wrote:Hello experienced users, I would like to get your advice on how to remove the printed objects and the raft/support material from the cellboard. I just made my first printing. It had two objects. The first object was not so difficult to remove from the cellboard. However, I cannot remove the second one. Also, the raft/support materials of both objects bond to the cellboard so well that even I use the enclosed shove with strong force, I can't remove them from the cellboard. Any suggestion appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. One side of the stove has a more inclined edge. Should that be facing/touching the cellboard? Anyway, tried both sides but still no luck in removing the stuff from the cellboard.

To give you an idea, I am enclosing the photos. I am still unable to remove them.
Attachments
raft1.jpg
raft1.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 11078 times
raft2.jpg
raft2.jpg (116.8 KiB) Viewed 11079 times

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:28 pm

I had the same issue when I got my printer, ain't no way about it. I can only give you advice
- Try flexing the board a bit, you should hear the plastic creak and SOME parts MIGHT pop up so you can get the spatula/chisel/scrapper to scrape it off
- look at the scrapper, there's a flat and a chiselled side, make sure the flat face touches the cell board so you have the maximum chance of finding a gap for you to poke in and scrape it off
- Since you've removed your part already.. DON'T be gentle with it! You got 3 boards to spare anyway so best you experience how much punishment the boards can take!! :P
- USE PROTECTION if you're not used to doing stuff like this!!!

After a few prints, when the holes start getting partially filled up it'll be easier to pop the base piece off.

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:32 pm

I use a single-edged razor blade scraper to help remove the raft from the perfboard. Wear gloves, though, in case the blade slips. Don't want to wind up with stitches.

Also, you can take your time cleaning off the perfboard: if you need to do another print right away, just put on a different perfboard and go. It's better to do this carefully than to rush.

printmo

Post by printmo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:40 pm

I had no use for the cutter PP3DP included so I equipped it with a shortened wire of a paper-clip to toss out the remaining bits of plastic or sometimes the entire raft from the back if it is stuck on the perfboard. Sand the edges of the wire to make sure you don't damage the board. After a while the board wear out and it is easier to remove the parts.
DSC01518.JPG
DSC01518.JPG (80.53 KiB) Viewed 11037 times

hajime

Post by hajime » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:58 am

How about putting some Acetone on the cellboard or dipping the entire cellboard into acetone. Will it work well?

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:48 pm

hajime wrote:How about putting some Acetone on the cellboard or dipping the entire cellboard into acetone. Will it work well?
Acetone is likely to improve the adhesion, since it will remove dirt and oil that's accumulated on the perfboard.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:56 pm

I find this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:131301 to be indispensible. It allows you to use a lot of force on the scraper with much less risk of removing parts of your body.

I also recently made a larger version out of oak wood for a library makerspace.

I think the supplied scraper is the best tool; I've never needed to use anything else. You just have to be patient and get it into the right place. When removing raft from the perfboard, the flat side goes down towards the perfboard. When removing raft or support from a part, the flat side must always go toward the part to avoid the scraper digging into the part.

KCSteve

Post by KCSteve » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:17 am

Always wear one of the supplied gloves when using the scraper. Since I'm right handed I wear the glove on my left hand and use the scraper with my right hand.

I was also having problems getting parts loose but now I'm fine.

Double check your nozzle height - it can make a huge difference. They've done away with the nozzle height test so now I print the Universal Washer from Octave as a test part. It's less than 2 grams of material and in Fast mode it prints in about 5 minutes. It's also a bit fragile so if you can get it loose cleanly you know you're good. The only other thing you need is a sheet of paper, folded in half.

My printer came with the nozzle height set to 124.8. Open your print dialog and see what yours is set to (make a note).
Go into Maintainence and set your nozzle height to a few mm less than your current setting. Eyeball it to make sure it looks good.
Sneak up slowly on your setting, keeping an eye on things. When it starts getting close use the folded piece of paper. When it just fits between the nozzle and the perf board you're at the sweet spot. Set your nozzle height to this number and do a test print. Hopefully you'll be fine.
Enjoy!

KCSteve :->

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:46 am

Hello,

You may fine tune your nozzle height by - 0.1mm each time. You may reach a point that it is less difficult to remove the raft from perf board and the little bumps of plastic that sunk into perf board could be pulled out altogether with the raft. At this point you could print smaller object without problem but will have a higher risk of warping when printing large objects. :P