How is the Mac version compared with the Windows version?

Talk about anything.
hajime

How is the Mac version compared with the Windows version?

Post by hajime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:51 am

Hello, as you know, sometimes the Mac version of some software is not as good as the Windows version and vice versa. How is the case of the software for Up Plus 2?

Horganic

Re: How is the Mac version compared with the Windows version

Post by Horganic » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:41 am

Can't say I've tried the windows one, but the osx version works just fine for me!

hajime

Post by hajime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 am

We downloaded the latest Mac version (version 2) but when we tried to install, we got an installation error. It stated "Installation failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance." Any idea?

petej

Post by petej » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:55 pm

I use the Mac version regularly. Its feature set is more limited than the current Windows version, which I've also used. As I recall, on Windows, you can see extruder and bed temps from the main window, not just the Maintenance window.

As to your installation problem, what version of Mac OS X are you running? If it’s a current version, I'd restart and try the installation again with no other applications running. If you still have a problem, restart the Mac while holding down the Shift key. This puts you in Safe mode with no extensions active. Now try installing again.

hajime

Post by hajime » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:40 am

petej wrote:I use the Mac version regularly. Its feature set is more limited than the current Windows version, which I've also used. As I recall, on Windows, you can see extruder and bed temps from the main window, not just the Maintenance window.

As to your installation problem, what version of Mac OS X are you running? If it’s a current version, I'd restart and try the installation again with no other applications running. If you still have a problem, restart the Mac while holding down the Shift key. This puts you in Safe mode with no extensions active. Now try installing again.
I am running Mac OS X 10.8.5.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:49 am

The Mac version is less stable and lacks features compared to the Windows version. Downloads from pp3dp often get corrupted so do try downloading again if you get an error. I have found the latest version very buggy on OS X 10.9 so I am running the previous version at the moment (version 2.0.3). I know at least a couple of others have reported the same.

The installer for Mac is also poorly written and often writes to stupid places during the install. Try doing a repair permissions in Disk Utility before you install to see if that helps.

Try downloading the software from a reseller like 3Dsystems.com which have more reliable download sources for you to get your install file.

hajime

Post by hajime » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:56 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up installing the Windows version on a virtual machine under Fusion. It works fine.

jiminico

Re: How is the Mac version - Need to install as Admin Accoun

Post by jiminico » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:21 am

hajime wrote:We downloaded the latest Mac version (version 2) but when we tried to install, we got an installation error. It stated "Installation failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance." Any idea?
To anyone having trouble installing the Mac version of UP3d Print, i found the same as above. I run an iMac and Macbook air running latest OS 10.9.4 Mavericks, and had the same results on both systems. Did the suggested repair disk permissions, re-boots,re-downloads ect...
So the it seems that the way the installer only offers you a single destination eg: (HD/Home folder/current user account only), it failed to install for me, i think, as i am running as a user on both my Mac's for a level of security. And so the installer detected that the user account didn't have permission to complete. So i have been able to install the latest UP version 2.1(3) as Admin user no problem. Figured out how to set the UP Mini bed hight and calibrate; all good. Set the first print up, and wouldn't print with a message "not enough filament, please install a new reel". Had to select in Maintenance>New spool button> material type and weight. Prints fine now, all good. Like as mentioned in this forum, the mac version is more limited than the native Windows version, but seems to do the trick ok.
Hope it is of any help as some details are scarce.
Cheers.