Filament composition and temperature

Talk about anything.
Richardt

Filament composition and temperature

Post by Richardt » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:39 am

Hi Everyone

The UP Plus filaments require higher temperature than usual filaments in the market.

If other generic filaments are used in UP Plus, there is a chance of over-burning or heating the generic filament.

I like to know why UP Plus filaments are so special.

What is the Composition or 'Recipe' that makes it unique?

Do you have problems using generic brands of filament?

Can you share with me what brand to use?

Please email me at : richardtan.com@gmail.com

Thank you very much.

Regards
Richard

Richardt

Re: Filament composition and temperature

Post by Richardt » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:50 am

*bump*

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Is the fixed higher temperature than filaments available in the market (non-UP Plus)
LOCKing IN customers to use only filaments from UP?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:38 am

There is speculation (but only speculation) that the Up filament contains some polycarbonate, hence its higher extrusion temp and superior print qualities. Z-ABS from Zortrax is essentially the same as the Up material. Zortrax is planning to release a different "PC-ABS" material soon, though; exactly how it will differ from Z-ABS is unknown.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:40 am

Richardt wrote: Do you have problems using generic brands of filament?

Can you share with me what brand to use?
My favorites are Octave and Prototype Supply (Toymaker Labs). I think the latter is made by e-sun. Both print well at 230C and are fine for general stuff, but not as good as "genuine" Up or Z-ABS.

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:46 am

Hi there, I'm a new user that's just wadding into the whole generic filament market (gotta have that glow in the dark filament! ;))

So, thus far I've gathered that UP Filaments melt at a higher temperature than other stuff at 260, while generic filament is about 230? So does that mean that it is essential to create an extruder temperature mod if I'm going to be using generic filaments?

Can you recommend any mod that's hopefully easy for someone with novice soldering skills?

Thanks for any feedback.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:57 am

Yes, a temp mod is pretty essential for getting good results with generic ABS. Support removal will be considerably more difficult and prints not as precise if you don't lower the temperature.

Octave Systems (http://www.octave.com) sells a couple of simple temp control switches that are plug-and-play; no soldering required.

julia

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:58 am

Marauderz wrote:Hi there, I'm a new user that's just wadding into the whole generic filament market (gotta have that glow in the dark filament! ;))

So, thus far I've gathered that UP Filaments melt at a higher temperature than other stuff at 260, while generic filament is about 230? So does that mean that it is essential to create an extruder temperature mod if I'm going to be using generic filaments?

Can you recommend any mod that's hopefully easy for someone with novice soldering skills?

Thanks for any feedback.
You can purchase one here: http://www.octave.com/3D-Printers-&-Acc ... index.html

They used to have a two-position switch for $20 which works great if you are just using the premium oem abs and third party abs but, it appears they discontinued them.

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:58 am

Thanks for the info everyone, hmmm.. they don't ship internationally. Guess I'll have to try my luck with Amazon!

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:05 pm

If you're close to Australia I'm happy to supply you one on my 10 position pushbutton mods $30AUD. Unfortunately to the more distant parts of the world postage costs almost as much so it's less worth it though my mod is one of the easiest to use.

On the constituents of the filament there is no admission to it containing polycarbonate on the MSDS - as it would be a significant hazard if it did I would expect this to be noted. Other than ABS it only declares mineral oil, tallow and wax. The conjecture on PC may have originally come from the Stratasys filament which I think runs at a similar temp and does have PC in some examples (just hypothesising though)

ming

Post by ming » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:15 pm

Richardt where are you located
to make one is very simple and you can get all the parts from amazon (prime) and some soldering and of the resistors and you are in business if you dont need a multi position temp switch

I have a simple 4 position dip switch and all parts cost less than $1
Would be the cost of a resistor if you just want to use aftermarket ABS (quality) and if you dont mind permanently splicing into the cable. you can look at my simple temp mod and if you need more info just PM me. Here is my current 4 pos dip switch setting - http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53649
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday