Bowden Tube

Talk about anything.
GrantWatson

Bowden Tube

Post by GrantWatson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been Googling for this for a couple of days now and not found what I'm after, so I thought I'd ask around people in the know who might be able to help.

I want more Bowden tube for my Mini. The original is starting to deform around the end , and while I can trim it off, eventually I will need another. Any idea where to buy more? Maybe even on a reel? I'm probably using the wrong search terms, but I haven't yet come up with a place to get more.

Cheers

roller

Re: Bowden Tube

Post by roller » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:34 am

The Up Mini/Plus do not use a Bowden Tube. A Bowden tube sits between the extruder and hot end so that the extruder weight does not need to sit on the moving axis. The Ups use a direct extruder design. That said you are looking for similar tubing. I sourced mine form am Aquirium/fish supply retail store. If you in the US and still cannot source any try contacting Makergear as they used to supply this tube with their printers (to make a real Bowden extruder). Octave or Afinia may have a source as a spare part.

ming

Post by ming » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:07 am

Automotive supply store may have some

But there are alternates that work better for me I use a spiral tube - used to keep wires in a bundle
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

GrantWatson

Post by GrantWatson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:23 am

Thanks for the feedback and the information.

So maybe something like this would do the trick?

http://www.pneumaticsolutions.com.au/co ... ubing.html

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:51 am

Pretty much any stiff tube will do - doesn't matter if it's a little oversized. Don't use anything set into a tight curve or spiral though as it will significantly increase the friction. As for automotive stores - I couldn't find anything in Supercheap but I didn't try Repco which has more tubing. The stuff I bought was for running air lines under stones in the bottom a tank. Quite firm and slippery - presumably nylon.

ming

material of tube

Post by ming » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:32 am

if you are going to use a tube
try polyethylene (availability) or better yet teflon lined tube (specialty tubing - if you know who makes them in your country you can ask for a sample of a couple of feet / meter)

Objective: supple, does not kink (radius you need), smooth / low internal friction, light weight
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:50 pm

Roller,
I do believe the tube that guides the filament from the spool to the extruder can be regarded as a bowden tube, a type of bowden cable. The Bowden patent basically describes its use on the UP. A means of guiding a inner cable (the filament) allowing the inner cable to curve /rotate etc without the need for pulleys or brackets. Both ends of the Up outer tube are fixed, one end at the extruder, one at the guide block above the reel.

The extruder to nozzle tube may be regarded s a bowden tube but really is not, as it does not offer a flexible path to the inner (ABS), just a straight fixed guide.

Just semantics, probably because I am a grumpy old man. !! But I do love my UP Plus.

cheers

Peter (UK)

roller

Post by roller » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:30 am

Well I was speaking primarily with respect to the term as it is used in the 3D printing community but to get to specifics a Bowden tube, by definition, is used to transmit force or energy at a distance through a cable achieved through the support of the tube ... in the case of 3D printers it is used to PUSH filament from the extruder motor to the hotend. If you say Bowden tube to anyone in the reprap community they will be expected an extruder operating at a distance from the hotend through the means of a tube. The Ultimaker is the most prevalent exponent of this particular extruder design.

The feeder tube on an Up is simply that - a feed tube. This is because the tube is not used or required to transmit force or energy - it is simply used to guide the filament as it is drawn along a path. The printer will operate without it and the filament will still feed.

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:43 am

If it's any help, I bought my 4mm PTFE tube from Reprappro...

https://reprappro.com/shop/components/p ... be-bowden/

Cheers!

Andy