Temperature Control

Talk about anything.
petej

Temperature Control

Post by petej » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:44 am

After printing lots and lots of ABS with my Afinia, I just started printing PLA filament. For the ABS, I use a temperature control switch from Octave to fine-tune the extruder temp. Settings on the face of the temperature control are 266, 250, 243, 236, 229, 220, 215 and 209, all in degrees C.

I know that the Afinia reduces the extruder temperature for PLA. How does the Octave switch affect this lower temperature range?

D3rax

Re: Temperature Control

Post by D3rax » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:36 am

Basically the same way. What the Octave switch does is tricking the temperature sensor with resistors, so the sensor reports a (fake) higher temperature back to the printer, which results in a lower extruder temperature. So every switch adds a higher amount of resistors, creating a lower extruder temperature. Every switch lowers the temperature about 5 a 10 degrees. Only difference is that in ABS mode the extruder strats at 266 degrees C I belive, and in PLA mode it starts at about 200 degrees C. And of course the temperatures that are on the face of the Octave switch will not be correct in PLA mode.
Up! Plus

petej

Post by petej » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks. That’s what I suspected but I wanted verification. So those temperatures could more accurately be stated as percentages of the base temperature (266 for ABS or 200 for PLA)? Playing a bit with a spreadsheet I get this conversion:
ABS-PLA Temps.jpg
Temperature conversion table for ABS and PLA with Octave Switch
ABS-PLA Temps.jpg (28.56 KiB) Viewed 8213 times
Is this correct?

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:34 am

An easy way to uncover what temps your mod is fooling the system with is to:
1. Turn on printer and open "Maintenance" window.
2. Observe the temp display for both platform and nozzle "Cold temp registers"(both should be about the same as ambient).
3. As you activate/switch the temp mod on, observe the registered difference between the platform and nozzle temps in the maintenance window "Software temp registers".
4. The difference is approximately the offset your temp mod is sending to the system "offset number".
In just a few minutes you can run through all the settings and have pretty good idea of what is happening.
Here is what a few of my mod setting look like.
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (90.02 KiB) Viewed 8208 times
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:12 pm

I did basically exactly what Drew did, clicked through them and noted offset temps for Rollers mod I got.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (37.08 KiB) Viewed 8202 times

roller

Post by roller » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Where did this 266C normal temp come from - is this an assumption or do we have some hard data for that. 260C and 270C has always been kicked around in the past.

For me, since that actual temp is a bit irrelevant anyway because they can't commute between my different models of printer I just write my temp mod setting number on the side of each roll... and I am back to running a temp calibration test with every new roll. Although knowing the actual temp can be handy to put you in the right ballpark for a new filament it's not actually relevant. It's how that filament will behave in your extruder on your printer. The Ups are all pretty similar due to their consistent extruder builds but I usually just share temps with other here as what my setting is ... eg ABS mode -60C for Colorfabb (very strong and a little glossy), -80C to -90C ABS mode for very easy support removal.

I think talking in these relative numbers is more consistent as it avoids the assumptions we make about start temp.

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:29 am

i took mine from here , the octave ones "0" = 266C. assuming they know more than me I jsut ran with it :)

http://www.octave.com/p1173433211/Octav ... _info.html

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:59 am

Doubt it - I've had both 260C and 270C direct from PP3DP staff and suppliers. I think it depends on what the printer is doing. Found some significant evidence of temp variation on certain layers while testing a new PLA in this cold weather. So I am back to believing the print temp varies throughout the print as part of the mechanism to control layer adhesion.