PLA temp mod questions - I want to build one

Talk about anything.
Carnivore

PLA temp mod questions - I want to build one

Post by Carnivore » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Hello rather than buying the Octave module below for printing PLA, how easy is it to just build one?
http://www.octave.com/p1173433212/Extru ... _info.html

From all my searching, I wasn't able to find a guide. Do I cut a wire and insert a resistor somewhere?

ming

Re: PLA temp mod questions - I want to build one

Post by ming » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:33 pm

What are your requirements ? That's the first question needs an answer
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:11 pm

ming wrote:What are your requirements ? That's the first question needs an answer
To print solely PLA. So I would need to disable to heated bed on my UP Plus 2 also.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:57 pm

1. You won't need to disable the heated bed. You can print on the PLA settings which mean the heated bed won't be as hot... I think about 50-60C instead of 100ish. Sorry it's while since I used the PLA settings so I can't remember the exact behaviour.

If you want to print PLA on ABS settings (with a temp mod) you can just use an insulator plate - I use a sheet of cardboard under the build plate. This, along with a fan on your print will keep the bed cool enough to not get any sag.

2. Run a fan on your print - just a desk fan will do - cooling PLA while it prints will help print quality with most PLA. The higher temp/better PLAs don't need it as much if at all.

3. Temp mods are easy - there are lots of posts already so do a search (in summary you need to increase the resistance by 3.7ohms/10C degrees you want to take off). If you are not electrically inclined or what has been said discussed in previous threads doesn't make sense then just say so and I'll walk you through it. PM me to give me a prod.

3. Try to use a higher temp PLA - particularly one with a higher softening temp. If you use one like Colorfabb you will not need any further mods.

4. Most PLA has a very low softening point - well below that of the printing temp. This is a problem with direct drive extruders like that on the Up as the drive gear gets hot and can cause the PLA to misfeed by making it too soft on contact. The solution is to cool the extruder gear directly with an injection of air. There has been discussion of this previously with Drew proposing a nice clean solution but is summary use a cheap (higher volume) fish tank pump to blow air drive on the extruder gear. Drew's design was well done and neat but as a dirty quick solution, getting air in there from any direction, onto the gear and out again is all you need.

5. Peel away support can be a bit tougher with PLA and particularly so getting a big thin print off a raft can be tough with some PLA. As such you may want to print raftless for some prints and therefore you might want to print on a smooth surface. In this case the quick fix is to just use blue painters tape. Stick it on your perfboard and the PLA will stick to it well even without heating.

Hope that helps.