Placing an STL (flat/parallel) on the bed

Talk about anything.
ming

Placing an STL (flat/parallel) on the bed

Post by ming » Fri May 30, 2014 10:06 pm

All my printed files are created by me so i have quite a good control how to modify to get the best placement on the bed.

WHAT IF i provide an STL that has a few angles but not drawn on a plane. And the person printing it like to align one of the face to be level with the print base. I know we can rotate the part in 3 axis but without knowing the exact angle at times its impossible to get a flat/parallel face on to the printbase.

IS there a trick or method to align one of the face of the printed part to the print base ??? Thanks in advance
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

roller

Re: Placing an STL (flat/parallel) on the bed

Post by roller » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:47 am

First, if you are printing with a base/raft (normal) it doesn;t really matter if your model isn't perfectly flat.

If you do want to flatten/tilt it, this best done outside the Up software. I usually import to Sketchup, Rhino or similar where I can easily snap a vertex to an axis.

ming

Re: Placing an STL (flat/parallel) on the bed

Post by ming » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks for the confirmation that the UP SW does not have auto tilt (when "place")

Will rotate / tilt part in the design software before i generate STL in future encounters. I never know when or which combo i print so i cant count on having RAFT to self level. I like printing on glass fro quick and efficient removal and cleanup

thanks again
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday