Printing without internal supports

Talk about anything.
Chris botha

Printing without internal supports

Post by Chris botha » Wed May 07, 2014 10:52 am

Is there some way to turn of the internal support structures that get automatically generated?

I want to print this as a test and I figure it would take as long to get rid of all the support material inside the ball as it would printing the damn thing?

Any other recommended settings for this type of print? should i be drawing a ring and arms as a structural support too?

images and model here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:323054

D3rax

Re: Printing without internal supports

Post by D3rax » Wed May 07, 2014 11:36 am

In the printsettings you can select for support "base only". It's in one of the dropdown menu's.
Up! Plus

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Wed May 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Riiiiiight... On the bottom of the list. Found it Thanks!

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Fri May 09, 2014 9:57 pm

had a moment to do this one last night.. kids have been hammering out lego parts like mad! Put in on at midnight, 0.2, fast and 45% base support with no internal support.

I was quite surprised to see it successful this morning.. i would have figured the top would have given issues.. the surface finish is really bad, but im guessing that would be typical for building this kind of geometry unsupported?

Now I need to figure out acetone vapour polishing.. what do you put the parts on so they dont melt onto the surface?

(if you use Rhino+Grasshopper and want the parametric script that does the circle packing give me a message) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xC6B0yCCUU

ming

Post by ming » Sat May 10, 2014 1:49 am

Acetone vapor finishing

1. Large cookie jar with air tight lid
2. Base jar - to hold hot water to heat acetone a tad to get quicker effect

a. drill small hold on top cap to hold a thin wire (i use bicycle spoke) and i use a toothpick to allow me to pull up and down the wire and use the toothpick to jam it in place.
b. Place smal amount of acetone at the bottom
c. hang part on wire and fasten wire with toohpick
d. CLose Jar (set timer 10 minutes) but faster if water is hotter
e. Pour warm/hot water on base jar (surrounding the glass jar) at the bottom to heat acetone up - hot tap water is all you need dont boil

my new setup is a tad faster i have a magnetic base stirrer - make sure the acetone dont splash :)

i used to line the glass jar with a thin towel and let acetone soak in towel to generate fumes quickly - use a spring wire to keep towl from touching your part.
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday