ProtoPasta Carbon-Fiber PLA

Talk about anything.
JuliaDee

ProtoPasta Carbon-Fiber PLA

Post by JuliaDee » Mon May 05, 2014 6:40 pm

Long story short: my first impression is that this stuff is pretty awesome; it printed beautifully for me on the first try using Up 2.0, PLA setting with full temp.

The cable release lever on my reclining sofa broke last night. Obviously, fixing the sofa immediately became the Number One priority in my life, so I quickly modeled the lever in Tinkercad (only took 3 tries to get that right using ABS for test prints). I've been looking for a good use to which to put the carbon-fiber PLA I received as a backer of Proto Pasta's Kickstarter, and this seems like as good an application as any I'm likely to have.

The part was printed with 0.25mm layers, Fast mode, next-to-maximum fill, raft, 30 degree support threshold, "10-line" (whatever that means) spacing. Curved undersides are just a little droopy; better results would result from 45 degree threshold and closer spacing, but no one is ever going to see this thing once it's installed.

Support removal felt more like ABS than PLA. It came off in smaller pieces than ABS usually does, but it came off easily and was not "melted into" the part at all. Even the support in the 2mm-wide cable slot came out easily.

I'll find out how strong it is tonight...

http://www.proto-pasta.com/
DSC_0388.JPG
DSC_0388.JPG (79.43 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
DSC_0383.JPG
DSC_0383.JPG (110.08 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
DSC_0386.JPG
DSC_0386.JPG (95.58 KiB) Viewed 7349 times

D3rax

Re: ProtoPasta Carbon-Fiber PLA

Post by D3rax » Fri May 09, 2014 7:34 am

Nice, is the strength comparable to Taulman nylon?
Up! Plus

roller

Post by roller » Fri May 09, 2014 11:46 am

My biggest problem with this filament is I don't see how it can make the prints much stronger. Sure it will improve the tensile strength of the filament but my prints usually fail as a result of the interlayer bonding failing. For this reason I wish they would make a filament like this but with a material that could be enhanced after finishing to increase the bonding strength with a solvent or similar - like ABS.

Of course, if we had a proper 100% infill this would be a big help and certainly improve the chances of getting the most of a filament like this.

I would love to hear more about how well this is working in practice.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri May 09, 2014 12:09 pm

The stresses on this part are almost entirely parallel with the layer lines, so layer bonding isn't a big issue with it. Stiffness is, since it's pulling on a cable and if the part flexes the cable won't travel enough. So far it's working.

Hard to compare with nylon and I haven't done any comparison testing. Nylon can have very good layer bonding, and a bit of flex which can help in some applications. The CF is probably ideal for applications where stiffness to weight ratio is paramount.

ming

Post by ming » Fri May 09, 2014 12:34 pm

roller wrote:My biggest problem with this filament is I don't see how it can make the prints much stronger. Sure it will improve the tensile strength of the filament but my prints usually fail as a result of the interlayer bonding failing. For this reason I wish they would make a filament like this but with a material that could be enhanced after finishing to increase the bonding strength with a solvent or similar - like ABS.

Of course, if we had a proper 100% infill this would be a big help and certainly improve the chances of getting the most of a filament like this.

Depending on how complex the geometry is you can add small additional 3d paths in your part and extrude a tiny hole along the paths = THE STL file will interpolate the hole as a solid (additional face) and the printer will fill that path with a wall (100% fill). If you want to be fancy if those holes are thru and networked you can inject CA in it to fill it. :)
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

roller

Post by roller » Fri May 09, 2014 4:40 pm

ming wrote:
roller wrote:My biggest problem with this filament is I don't see how it can make the prints much stronger. Sure it will improve the tensile strength of the filament but my prints usually fail as a result of the interlayer bonding failing. For this reason I wish they would make a filament like this but with a material that could be enhanced after finishing to increase the bonding strength with a solvent or similar - like ABS.

Depending on how complex the geometry is you can add small additional 3d paths in your part and extrude a tiny hole along the paths = THE STL file will interpolate the hole as a solid (additional face) and the printer will fill that path with a wall (100% fill). If you want to be fancy if those holes are thru and networked you can inject CA in it to fill it. :)
There is only so many times you can do this before it becomes tedious. I have the advantage of two reprap printers for when I need a true solid infill but sometimes I want Up features (peel away support) AND 100% infill AND not have to go back to a CAD model and delete thin strips out. The problem is that this technique is not as strong as a proper 100% infill as the layers are stacked neatly rather than interwoven by crossing up each layer.

The Same practice is also useful for parts where you want to use a light infill but stengthen certain areas or create a axis of extra tensile strength through a part.