Printing multi part (of the same part) - ABS

Talk about anything.
ming

Printing multi part (of the same part) - ABS

Post by ming » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:09 am

I started to print multiple parts of the same design and today a 4 part component was placed and printed. The Place command placed the part facing 4 different directions automatically and i did not bother to rotate (Z direction).

All the parts printed fine except they all have slightl different (minor)imperfections and i concluded its because its moving from part to part as it builds the layers.

Question i have is,
Depending on the amount of time it takes to build the next layer on the same part it may be a few seconds or up to a minute (depending on complexity and amount of filament it neeeds to use) As it cools before the next layer is placed on the same part. Aside from the imperfections is there structural strength degradation or reduction due to building layer with a pause in between ?
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

JuliaDee

Re: Printing multi part (of the same part) - ABS

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:58 am

Layer bonding may be slightly stronger when building only one part at a time due to less cooling between layers, as you note. An enclosed build chamber with temp 40-60C should help with this issue.

There is very little time saved by building multiple copies at once versus building parts one at a time; the only advantage is less frequent operator intervention. So if you are concerned about strength or imperfections due to multiple copies you might want to build just one at a time.

julia

roller

Post by roller » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:27 am

Conversely, sometimes printing a tight cluster of parts can actually improve bonding as the tight clustering means a hot microclimate forms due to surrounding parts... so it kind of depends on the individual printing situation. Post treatment with acetone or MEK is the best way to improve interlayer bonding though it also affects the surface finish.

ming

Post by ming » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:59 am

Thanks for the suggestions

I plan to in future build one at a time though i have multi print base i can restart quickly the time it takes to heat up to 90% takes a bit longer(at least 15 minutes) if i dont have it about 90% heated the ABS does curl and i either lose the part or the supports.

Im starting to complete my semi enclosed print chamber and hope that will help keep the print area warm enough

Neal

Post by Neal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:48 pm

You can substantially reduce your re-heat time by putting something over the build plate after removing the print job. I use some cardboard that is cut to size with the corners cut out for the "bulldog" clips. I remember some one else said they are using a silicone type pot holder that is cut to size.

ming

Post by ming » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Neal that's a good idea. But normally I have the next print base ready to go but it's just the mass of th print plate do need to get heated up. I do have a small butane torch I can use to heat the underside a tad before I place on the machine.
But thanks

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:13 pm

We've been using metal-backed bubble wrap, the kind used for insulating HVAC ductwork. The local hardware store sells it by the linear foot (4-foot wide roll?) for a couple bucks. Cut with scissors to fit.

Also, you can always set your build plate to stay heating after the print is done. It defaults to 0 minutes, but you can set it for a longer period of time.

Robin

Post by Robin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:15 pm

I've just printed over 800 tall thin things...

Printing 6 overnight seemed a good idea until they became brittle.

Some ABS prints singles brittle, some is okay. I don't know how to tell, but I get the impression that
pukka European is worse than Chinese.

Perhaps the right plastic would print 6 fine and dandy. I got wary of printing six duds and stopped trying.

Some ABS is too molten for multi part, they can become strangely hairy.

I put waxed paper down where it prints the first splot of ABS to get the head going. It is real easy to peel.

If your part has a pointy top, make sure it has cooled before you remove the terminal whisker.

If one of your slides becomes noisy DO NOT squirt on 3-IN-ONE white lithium grease or you will end up typing
about printing rather than actually printing, like I am.