Rubber plastic advice

Talk about anything.
josepgoncalves

Rubber plastic advice

Post by josepgoncalves » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:44 am

Hello

I've a Up mini with temp mod and 80ºC printbed thermostat. I've used some plastics from original ABS, 3rd party ABS, Taulman nylon and Pet with fair goog resuts. I havent got good results printing in PLA. The prints are OK, but I found difficult to print for more than two hours as the steep motor gets warmer and warmer it tends to jam the filament. Have already tried a fan directed to the step and and it gets better but not perfect.

Now I want to start some test with rubber like plastics. There are a lot of soft rubber plastics from good brands like:

- Flex eco PLA from form futura :http://www.formfutura.com/175mm-flex-ec ... tural.html
- Rubber filament from 3d2Print :http://www.3d2print.net/shop/product/ru ... ite-1-75mm
- Flexibel Polierstr from plastics to print: http://www.plastic2print.com/eu/1-75mm- ... e-40d.html

Does anybody ave already tried any of this or can advice another one with good result on a mini up with my mods, so I have not the probslems I have with PLA?

Tkx.

roller

Re: Rubber plastic advice

Post by roller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Do a search for ninjaflex on the Forum. Julia compared it with Flexeco I think and gave some good info. In fact check Julia's latest posts (search her posts here: http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/search.php?a ... 1&sr=posts)too because she gave some feedback on a new filament coming out of a kickstarter campaign which might interest you.

On PLa the issue is the low softening point of most PLA - typically only about 40-50C. Try one of the PLA mixes which has a higher melt point. I am using Colorfabb PLA on my Up Plus without a fuss. I reduce temp about 50C (18.5ohms) although taking down a little lower makes support removal much easier - I do this on the ABS setting not PLA settings where the temp is much too low. I should make an temp lifting mod to try it on the PLA setting one day.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:18 pm

I have been using Ninjaflex on an UpPlus. Because it is so "floppy" it tends to jam in the feed tube and needs, as Julia stated elsewhere, a spool holder with near zero friction (proper ball bearings). Even in these conditions I found I had to continuously push the Ninjaflex into the extruder. So I recently built, what I call an extruder pre-feeder.. This pulls the Nnijaflex though the guide tube and pushes it, at ambient temperature into the extruder. The Ninjaflex is only squeezed gently onto the gear teeth, and the slippery coating of Ninjaflex allows the gear to slip when enough pressure is pushing the material into the extruder. I mounted the whole setup up on a spare UpPlus wind barrier enclosure, so it can easily be removed when not needed.
The motor came from an old video camera zoom mechanism, its a planetary geared motor running from a 1.5V AAA cell it rotates about 1 revolution every five seconds. The motor draws about 1mA, so could run continuously for about 1000 hours! The gear teeth have flats on them so they do not dig into the Ninjaflex.

cheers

Peter
Attachments
Ninjaflex prefeeder3.jpg
Ninjaflex prefeeder3.jpg (60.07 KiB) Viewed 15597 times
Ninjaflex prefeeder2.jpg
Ninjaflex prefeeder2.jpg (83.91 KiB) Viewed 15597 times
Ninjaflex prefeeder1.jpg
Ninjaflex prefeeder1.jpg (109.92 KiB) Viewed 15597 times

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:39 am

Awesome, Peter, you should sell that thing!

I have recently tested FilaFlex from Recreus. Printing-wise, it is almost identical to NinjaFlex, all the same considerations apply - no backpressure from the nozzle, slow head speed, no raft, and no friction on the spool. The finished parts are softer than NinjaFlex, however, by about 20-30%.

As I posted previously, PolyFlex from PolyMakr (currently on Kickstarter) feeds/prints fine on the Up with only a temperature mod, but it is harder than NinjaFlex.

For anyone interested in PLA, PolyPlus from Polymakr prints perfectly on the Up with no mods at all, just set it for PLA at nominal temp.

Julia

josepgoncalves

Post by josepgoncalves » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:55 am

JuliaDee wrote:Awesome, Peter, you should sell that thing!

I have recently tested FilaFlex from Recreus. Printing-wise, it is almost identical to NinjaFlex, all the same considerations apply - no backpressure from the nozzle, slow head speed, no raft, and no friction on the spool. The finished parts are softer than NinjaFlex, however, by about 20-30%.

As I posted previously, PolyFlex from PolyMakr (currently on Kickstarter) feeds/prints fine on the Up with only a temperature mod, but it is harder than NinjaFlex.

For anyone interested in PLA, PolyPlus from Polymakr prints perfectly on the Up with no mods at all, just set it for PLA at nominal temp.

Julia

Tkx Julia

As always your contribution is precise and useful. Just didn't understand what do you mean with no backpressure from the nozzle. Can help with that?

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:36 pm

That is a great idea Peter, well done!
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:42 am

josepgoncalves wrote:
As always your contribution is precise and useful. Just didn't understand what do you mean with no backpressure from the nozzle. Can help with that?
Thanks, José. By "backpressure" I mean anything restricting the smooth easy flow of liquid plastic from the nozzle. This can be from a partially-clogged nozzle or from a too-low initial layer height where the nozzle is so close to the build platform that the plastic cannot freely come out from the extruder. With rigid ABS filament the feeder can "push" against this pressure and force the plastic out, but with rubber filaments it is more difficult to "push" because the filament compresses and/or bends.

josepgoncalves

Post by josepgoncalves » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:35 am

Tkx Peter. I liked so much your idea, that I'm doing one for my up mini. Will post when complete.

Scottylad7

Post by Scottylad7 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi Guys, I've just received my new parts from Recreus, and a couple of questions. If anyone else has this part how do i check the print height? Is it just done manually? ANd second what settings should i use for best results?

Thanks for the help in advanced guys!!!

Scottylad7

Post by Scottylad7 » Thu May 29, 2014 4:43 pm

Please can someone help me? Ive just fit my Recreus hot end and I've had to set the nozzle height manually. but my prints are rubbish to say the least. I've fit everything as tight and snug as i can, REcreus told me to print just like i do with ABS but its very hit and miss. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Sorry but I'm a newbie to 3d printing.

Thanks

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri May 30, 2014 9:16 am

Scottylad7 wrote:Please can someone help me? Ive just fit my Recreus hot end and I've had to set the nozzle height manually. but my prints are rubbish to say the least. I've fit everything as tight and snug as i can, REcreus told me to print just like i do with ABS but its very hit and miss. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Sorry but I'm a newbie to 3d printing.

Thanks
Search this forum for posts by me on NinjaFlex (virtually the same as Filaflex); all the tips are there. I didn't know the Recreus hot end could be fitted to the Up, that's interesting news.

Julia

Scottylad7

Post by Scottylad7 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:18 am

I did ask Recreus before buying it and they said yes. Ive also seen a guy on youtube printing with an Up, Im going to get in touch with them just to make sure. thanks for the reply

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri May 30, 2014 11:16 am

OK, the short answer is to use this recipe:

Very clean (preferably new) nozzle
210-240C extrusion temp - watch what's happening and adjust accordingly
"ABS" profile
"Fine" (slowest) speed
250 micron (0.25mm) layers (important!)
No raft (I use glass, but perf will work)

Scottylad7

Post by Scottylad7 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks for the reply, I've kinda given up, i did manage to print the letter S and it came out ok-ish but when i tried to print a iPhone case it was shocking. so I've just put all my old hot end etc back in my printer. Maybe one day ill try it again. so I've got a full roll of green filaflex if anyone wants to buy it!!!