IS there a setup guideline

Talk about anything.
ming

IS there a setup guideline

Post by ming » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:09 am

1. Is there a help discussion that can help me orientate the part and setup the parameters for printing a part ?
2. Is it possible to print or design a part with certain areas with max fill and certain areas with minimum fill ?
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

FallGuy

Re: IS there a setup guideline

Post by FallGuy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:40 pm

MingTai,

There is really no right or wrong way to orient a piece you are trying to print. What you will find is that some ways are better for certain objects depending on how you want the finished piece to look, or how easy you want to make it for removing the raft and support material.

If you have an object face that you want to look nice straight from the printer with minimal finishing required, then you may want to print it so that face is on the side or facing up. If you print it pointing down, then the face may show tool marks left when you remove the support raft, unless you are printing raftless. If you have an object with a large cavity, you may want to print it with the cavity pointing up so that it doesn't need as much support material when printing. As you become more familiar with the printer, when you design (and print) your parts, you will start to easily see which orientation of the part will be best for what you are trying to achieve.

As to mixing the fill in one part, no, there is no way to do this. If you really need to have volumes with two different fill styles, the only thing you can really do is design your object as two separate pieces, print them with the desired fill, then after printing, join the pieces together. I don't think I have seen any other way to do this. For most of my engineering pieces, I leave it at solid fill because there is not much of a savings in weight or material in most of my pieces, and I need a little more structure for tapping fasteners or joining pieces together.

Good Luck!
Thanks,

FallGuy