octave nylon filament

Talk about anything.
D3rax

Re: octave nylon filament

Post by D3rax » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:24 pm

I had good results with the Taulman 618 nylon on my Up! Plus. I did not use a temp mod so I used the standerd ABS temperature. I used the standaard prefboard and opened the windbarriere.

Only problem is removing the support material. This was in some places almost imposible....

Do you guys have some tips for better removal of support? Does it improve when I use a temp mod? Does it help when I add an extra fan?

Thanx for the input!
Up! Plus

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Garolite is phenolic, similar to Bakelite. Originally all PC boards were made of this stuff, now only really cheap things like toys use phenolic boards. The green boards you're referring to are fiberglass reinforced epoxy resin, and are pretty much industry-standard to this day - this is the material that the perfboard that ships with the Up is made of as well.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 pm

I tried the acetone wipe, that solved my adhesion problem, don't know why I didn't do that right off the bat. In my reprap days I always wiped down my kapton before every print. I guess I've just been spoiled by the perfboard. :)

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:38 am

So I figured I would post my settings for nylon as I try them out. Today I tried printing a thin lithophane and the Maltese falcon from thingiverse scaled down by half. I printed at 0.15 mm on fine on the garolite with the octave temp switch. Looks wise the lithophane looks good, the falcon looks good except for the head. The last few layers are horrible (because the printer slows down for ABS to cool, doesn't do well for nylon) layer adhesion us abysmal. The lithophane splits easily when flexed, the falcon split apart when squeezed with pliers with average pressure. Ill my next print on the normal abs temperature and see what difference that makes.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:47 am

teamcarlisle wrote:So I figured I would post my settings for nylon as I try them out. Today I tried printing a thin lithophane and the Maltese falcon from thingiverse scaled down by half. I printed at 0.15 mm on fine on the garolite with the octave temp switch. Looks wise the lithophane looks good, the falcon looks good except for the head. The last few layers are horrible (because the printer slows down for ABS to cool, doesn't do well for nylon) layer adhesion us abysmal. The lithophane splits easily when flexed, the falcon split apart when squeezed with pliers with average pressure. Ill my next print on the normal abs temperature and see what difference that makes.
Nylon is great for engineering parts, things that have to take load, stress, repeated flex etc. Probably not as good as ABS for sculptures and such - way too much stringing and spitballs, more difficult support removal, fewer finishing options...

julia

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:51 am

Thanks for the input Julia. I should mention that Ill be trying to figure out how to get the best layer adhesion. What I've read online is when a printer is setup correctly for nylon it shouldn't delaminate at all. We obviously don't have a suite of settings we can tweak on the up (which I actually appreciate 90% of the time) I'm just trying to figure out the best settings for strength that we can expect with nylon on the up. I forgot to mention in my last post I had the windbarrier half open. I am just writing this here incase anyone else buys the nylon and is looking for reccomended settings specific to the up! Or would like to give input on their best settings with nylon. I tried my first print based on suggestions I found earlier in this discussion and the link given in the first couple posts and what octave.com suggested.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:23 am

The best strength results I have gotten is with the wind barrier open a little and print on fine (slow) I noticed on normal the part wasn't quite as strong. Also maximum fill as well. As you mentioned there are not too many other options to adjust. Hopefully one day we get a true "fill" and this should increase strength even further.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 pm

On 2 March JuliaDee wrote Garolite is phenolic, similar to Bakelite.

I must be mistaken then. I was advised that Garolite was like early fibreglass PCB support, rather than the bakerlite material, which I believe is the very old brown stuff. Is paxolin another name for garolite?
Anyway, I used a PCB base material that is more like fibreglass, a dull green, with a fine weave to it. Once roughened with wet & dry and well cleaned with MEK it worked well with Nylon.

cheers

Peter
Attachments
pcb_weave_epoxy_maybe_garolite.jpg
Microphoto of PCB base type I used. scale is mm
pcb_weave_epoxy_maybe_garolite.jpg (48.92 KiB) Viewed 8381 times

3DmodelerDy

Post by 3DmodelerDy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:31 am

What do you want ? if guns are made with 3D printers how people can`t print another simple things... I enjoy watching this printed objects ! For a real it looks good.

DytHlt

Post by DytHlt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm

3DmodelerDy wrote:What do you want ? if guns are made with 3D printers how people can`t print another simple things... I enjoy watching this printed objects ! For a real it looks good.
Huh?