Polymakr Filaments - Including Rubber

Talk about anything.
JuliaDee

Polymakr Filaments - Including Rubber

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Kickstarter just launched:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... top-3d-pri

I have tested both PolyFlex and PolyMax, and they both work fine on the Up. Polyflex is not quite as flexible as Ninjaflex but it is still much more flexible than Flex Eco, and it has no warpage at all. PolyMax is very strong, similar in strength to Taulman nylon.

I printed PolyFlex at 230C using the ABS setting and 0.25mm layers. For PolyMax I used the PLA setting and dropped the temp another 10 degrees C.

I haven't tried PolyWood but they claim advantages over other wood filaments. Not mentioned in the Kickstarter is that they also make a more standard PLA, PolyPlus, that feeds perfectly on the Up with no modifications at all on the PLA setting.
DSC_0240_600.jpg
DSC_0240_600.jpg (84.55 KiB) Viewed 4382 times

r03ert0

Re: Polymakr Filaments - Including Rubber

Post by r03ert0 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:53 am

Hi Julia,
I just got some NinjaFlex. I read your previous post (2012?). What would be today your advice for printing with ninjaflex?
thank you very much in advance!

JuliaDee

Re: Polymakr Filaments - Including Rubber

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:30 pm

r03ert0 wrote:Hi Julia,
I just got some NinjaFlex. I read your previous post (2012?). What would be today your advice for printing with ninjaflex?
thank you very much in advance!
I'm not at all sure NinjaFlex will work on an Up without a spring-loaded pressure bearing in the feeder. I've got an Up set up with Drew Petitclerc's feeder and it works; I've dedicated it exclusively to Ninjaflex. You need a perfectly clean nozzle (brand new one recommended) so there's minimal backpressure. You need a ball-bearing spool holder so there's no tension on the filament. You have to use Fine mode for the slowest possible head speed. I print on glass with no raft; the head speed when building rafts can cause problems. I use 230C or 240C and 0.25mm layer thickness. 220C can print cleaner but the flow is more reliable at 230-240C for me.

Enlarging the nozzle aperture to .45 or .5mm might help by relieving backpressure, but I haven't tried it. I also have a hypothesis that Ninjaflex feeds better after it's been exposed to air for a while – they mention it being made especially slippery to minimize friction in the downtube, but this work against us in the feeder. Maybe it dries out after a while and then feeds better; I had a spool of black that wouldn't work at all for me, but a month later I tried it and it worked.

PolyFlex feeds very well with the stock feed mechanism, you just need a temp mod.

Julia