Recommendation of 3D scanners please

Talk about anything.
hajime

Recommendation of 3D scanners please

Post by hajime » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Hello, I need to recommend the school to buy a 3D scanner. Any recommendation? Thanks

wilsonj

Re: Recommendation of 3D scanners please

Post by wilsonj » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Depending on what you want to scan a primesense sensor and skanect or ReconstructMe software could be an option. Otherwise the next step up would be to a David Laser scanner. If you want true professional results ( at pro pricing) you might look at Artec Eva.

Oh, there is also the Makerbot Digitizer scanner, which is pretty much a simplified David laser scanner on a turntable. Works very well, but you are limited to what you can fit on the turntable.

Hope this gives you a starting point.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:21 am

Or you could use the free Autosketch 123d Catch. All you then need is a digital camera and an internet connection. of course Autosketch will also have rights to use any 3d models created !

cheers

Peter

roller

Post by roller » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:01 pm

I think you mean Autodesk not Autosketch.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Roller,
I stand corrected.
cheers

Peter

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:50 am

1. Xbox Kinect, combined with Skanect scanning software - that's what I used to show my students. Also MeshLab to view, edit, and convert to STL.

2. 3D Systems has the Sense 3D Scanner - slightly better quality on facial features than the Kinect. Comes with software and very easy to edit files for 3D printing. Better order one soon though, they were out of stock soon and had a supply coming in soon. $400

hajime

Post by hajime » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 am

I read user reviews of the one made by 3D Systems. It seems that it is difficult to get good scans. Is that true?

hajime

Post by hajime » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:23 am

Anybody has experience on using the David Laser scanner and the Artec Eva? From reviews, the Sense cannot scan metallic materials and also failure rate seems to be high. The Makerbot one is too small.

I want to be able to import the scanned objects into SolidWorks or Autodesk Inventor or 3ds MAX for further modifications. For example, I have the 3D CAD design of a toy car made of the base, four wheels and the upper part. I want to morph the scanned object (a rabbit) on to the upper part of the car to make it a rabbit-looking car.

Thanks.

propologist

Post by propologist » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:06 pm

I have a Nextengine scanner and it not that hard to learn how to make good scans. For the price you can not go wrong with the Nextengine scanner.

I have been looking into the David structured light scanner and it is very hi res. as long as you take the time to calibrate it for the object your scanning. The Structured light scanning will be my next scanning system.